10's in doors.

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FtoSam
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

10's in doors.

Post by FtoSam »

Just considering getting some free to air subs put in the doors... anyone attempted this? i'm going to measure it up this weekend and see if they will fit. i want bass up front!!! problem is where to put the mids? i will see bout knocking up a design.

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
rnbboi
Mechanic

Post by rnbboi »

y not just go for splits and power em off an amp?

a subby in the door? be prepared for MAJOR rattles...
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

sigh.
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~viper39/carbw.jpg[/img]
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Re: 10's in doors.

Post by khunjeng »

Samson wrote:Just considering getting some free to air subs put in the doors... anyone attempted this? i'm going to measure it up this weekend and see if they will fit. i want bass up front!!! problem is where to put the mids? i will see bout knocking up a design.
for one the reason subs are put in the boot is becuase bass (low freq.) can defract easily around objects..hence its not critical where u put your sub to hear the sound. while high freq. does not defract easily and hence needs to be close to the ear.

The size seems too large to easily fit into the door without a custom kick plate / mount. A 10" driver is about 250mm in depth as aposed to a 6.5" of 80mm - i.e. I'm not 100% sure but the space in the current door hole is too small.

now when it comes to subs whats the point unless u get its box volume correct...for either a vented or sealded design..

Unless I overlooked something.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

hence why i said free to air....i was thinking probably 8's.. im just after something that:
a) will give some punchy bass that my 12's cannot
b) look like crazy

I was also just interested. to see if it had been done before.In all likelyness im gonna leave it with the 6.5s...

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

Samson wrote:hence why i said free to air....i was thinking probably 8's.. im just after something that:
a) will give some punchy bass that my 12's cannot
b) look like crazy

I was also just interested. to see if it had been done before.In all likelyness im gonna leave it with the 6.5s...
the only way to get bass is to have a good vented and tuned box design...i doubt it can be easily done in the doors and as I said pointless anyway.
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

Free air subs as they are called are not all they seem they still need a good sealed enlosure be it the entire boot or the door. It would need to be very well sealed and it's unlikely you'll get the desired effect.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

Dr_Jones wrote:Free air subs as they are called are not all they seem they still need a good sealed enlosure be it the entire boot or the door. It would need to be very well sealed and it's unlikely you'll get the desired effect.
doesn't need to be sealed...vented or tuned ported deisgns can be better as they are tuned to a certain freq...but yes cant be just "free air" dont care what the doods at JB Hi-Fi say...your wasting your time really. got the mid range in the doors and sub it up in the boot...the whole world can;t be wrong!
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

khunjeng wrote:but yes cant be just "free air"
Isn't that what I said?