What sort of ICE setup do you have on your FTO?

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

SchumieFan
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by SchumieFan »

Pioneer DEH-P4650MP Head unit (gotta love mp3's)
Blew the door speakers (50w into 15w dont go)
So the door speakers are now 6.5' Sony Xplod 3 way 180w xs-GF1631X
and factory rear 6x9' (i am incredibly amazed by them! they rock!)
and factory stupid little speakers in the dash that come flying at me everytime i hit the gas...

i run all my bass through the rear speakers (hehehe they put a button on the headunit called "loud") and they take the pounding really well, no sign of wear so they are staying at the moment...

not getting any subs cause its a plain waste of $$ :D
veilside
Apprentice

Post by veilside »

Apparently it's not good to leave the Loud button on all the time, particularly at higher volume. Good way to fry your speakers. Not sure how long you have to be doing it before it becomes an issue, just thought I'd share that with ya!
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

The "loudness" function only works at low volume so there is no issue with keeping this on. As you increase the volume, the loudness feature diminishes, so at high volume it is either completely off or having very little effect, even though it still shows as being on.

It increases the loudness of the lowest and highest frequencies as at low volumes you will miss the bass and notice the subtlties of the high-end missing, the "loudness" function tries to make up for this, providing a more natural sound at low volume.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

meh... well before i got the speakers changed i used to have the loud button on(reason for speakers blowing) and volume no higher than 26... now i can hit 35ish.... though i dont really have it much past 25... there is a point that gets too loud... though 1 probem i am having is with the purpose of the remote... a) stereo within easy reach b) you need to point the remote directly at the unit for it to work... so i cant mount it closer on my dash or the roof etc... it just becomes a novelty for the passenger to play with.

and my sony speakers are plastic so there isnt a huge risk of blowing them... and like i said... the factory rears are holding up very very well
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

SchumieFan wrote:meh... well before i got the speakers changed i used to have the loud button on(reason for speakers blowing)
By the time you had increased the volume high enough to blow the speakers the loudness function would have been either off or negligible. You blew the speakers because you had the volume too loud.
SchumieFan wrote:my sony speakers are plastic so there isnt a huge risk of blowing them... and like i said... the factory rears are holding up very very well
I assume you mean polypropolene. The material that the cones of the speakers are made out of will have little influence on a speaker blowing or not, rather it will impact on the sound quality and distortion (or lack of) that the speaker produces. Speakers normally blow when too much power is fed to the voicecoil. It burns out and prevents the speaker from moving as it can no longer act as an electromagnet.
veilside
Apprentice

Post by veilside »

Actually not all headunits with a Loud-type button disengage it at high volume, though in this case I think you're right: I think Pioneer headunits do do that :D
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

the button doesn't disengage (i.e. it will still show that "loud" or "loudness" is selected), it just doesn't do anything at high volume.

The "loudness" feature is a standard feature on nearly all audio systems, car or home, regardless of brand. As mentioned above its purpose is to increase the bass and treble levels at low volume. As you increase the volume levels it's influence decreases.

If any stereo equipment had this loudness feature working at high volume then it would be going against an industry standard and would be very odd. Double check the manual of the system and I'm sure it will state that the loudness feature only applies to low volume. In fact, it would sound quite odd if it did apply at high volume levels.
veilside
Apprentice

Post by veilside »

It's not something I've seen anyway, but there's a whole thread about it on another site. As I said, it's something I've heard about, not seen myself.
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

no.... the loud button just shifts all the bass to the rear and the all the treble etc to the front... (and amplifies) so it doesnt matter what volume its on it still functions
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Let's not turn this into a bitch fight, but that is not the way "loudness" works.

What you are refering to in your last message is a Pioneer feature they call FIE (front image enhancer) this is a completely seperate function from loudness.

This information is in the manual for your head unit, alternatively you can read it here on Pioneer's website:
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products.js ... nomy_id=25

Let me quote what Pioneer says about "loudness"
Pioneer's Website wrote:Loudness Control:
At low volume levels,low and high frequency sounds in music can be overpowered by ambient noise levels in the vehicle. Loudness control provides a one-button way to boost these frequencies and provide better overall sound at low volume levels.
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

:d right you are.... my observational skills are obviously somewhat lacking... mind you, the panel beater has had the car longer than i have so i havnt really had enough time to play with it... :roll:

and i dont get bitchy, i sense no bitchyness occuring...

meh... cheers for clearing it up... it all came back to me soon as you mentioned FIE
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

do yr self a favour and stop using that pathetic 'LOUD' button and get yrself a sub and stop bothering Ruchi! :lol:
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

SchumieFan - no hard feelings mate, and I wasn't saying you were bitchy, rather I was saying lets try to avoid getting this argumentative and turning into a bitch fight.

FTOluv - you're funny!
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

FTOluv wrote:do yr self a favour and stop using that pathetic 'LOUD' button and get yrself a sub and stop bothering Ruchi! :lol:
I think all SchumieFan need is just a decent amp & speakers.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

lol... no hard feelings.... i wasnt getting all ancy...

truth be known im perfectly happy with my setup now... stuff the amp and subs... already said im not gonna do that, loud button satisfies every need i have to crank it up... on occasions, not overly bothered with being the loudest rattler on the block :roll: