amp wiring?

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

demonic_hordes
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

amp wiring?

Post by demonic_hordes »

how the hell do i get wires thru the firewall to my boot? where should i start threading? damn, the 4 gauge wire is huge
I've heard of the rubber grommet behind the battery, is it easy to pull out the grommet?
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

It's been a long time but I put mine through the clutch cable hole, I don't have a clutch though.
Rocco
Grease Monkey

Post by Rocco »

easy to do
FTO-279
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

Rocco wrote:easy to do
best advice ever!
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

yeh mine went through the gromet behind the battery... and to the boot all you need to do is take out the carpet, and the back seats, and just wire it to the boot... cover the wire with the carpet and seats.
demonic_hordes
Apprentice

Post by demonic_hordes »

i've been trying alll day to get the 4gauge thru the grommet behind the battery. the huge wire in it is making it impossible, let alone the big round thing that is there to block my full access to the grommet. Any suggestions?
starting to look for alternatives too. where is the clutch hole, i can't seem to see it. can u post a pic identifying it?
maybe i should try a 8gauge instead?
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

I think the clutch hole is in line with where the clutch pedal would be. Again it's been a while.
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

demonic_hordes wrote:i've been trying alll day to get the 4gauge thru the grommet behind the battery. the huge wire in it is making it impossible, let alone the big round thing that is there to block my full access to the grommet. Any suggestions?
starting to look for alternatives too. where is the clutch hole, i can't seem to see it. can u post a pic identifying it?
maybe i should try a 8gauge instead?
You need four items -
1. Wiring (obviously)
2. A thick coathanger bent straight
3. Generous amounts of WD40
4. Ducttape

Firstly, disconnect your battery as a safety precaution, i'm pretty sure WD40 is electrically conductive and it catches fire like a bitch.

Secondly, attach the wire securely to the ducttape, try and form a conical missile head type shape for ease of penetration.

Spray *everything* with lots of wd40. Seriously, lots, so it's dripping more then your lady friend after seeing the nude "Mr Africa" contest.

Then just ram the wiring through there.

That's how I did all my wiring through grommets, admittedly i havn't tackled the particular one you are talking about. If it doesn't go through with my method, then it isn't going to go through period. Fine somewhere else to run it, or check that no one is looking and put your own damn whole in the firewall.
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~viper39/carbw.jpg[/img]
demonic_hordes
Apprentice

Post by demonic_hordes »

what's wd40?
Lenny
Grease Monkey

Post by Lenny »

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

LOL