Registering you FTO as a Turbo

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

barfy
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Registering you FTO as a Turbo

Post by barfy »

Those of you with a Turbo have u registered it as a Turbo FTO or just leaving it as with motor reg ?

If this is the case how do you insure the car ??
[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/barfy76/barfycopy1.jpg[/img]
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

See this Transport SA document: here

"...the fitting of a turbocharger or supercharger to a naturally aspirated engine Transport SA requires the vehicle to be fitted with a Second Manufacturers ADR plate to demonstrate compliance with all ADRs"

You'll still need an engineering cert which would be quite costly in SA as it would involve emissions testing and that costs approx $2500 over there. 8O

Probably need to take it over to Regency for final inspection, and then it can be registered, and you simply tell your insurer the vehicle is a modified FTO. If you ever have to make a claim and they ask about legality of your car you show them the engineering papers.
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

Yeah and guess what they dont have a ficillity to conduct an emissions test...

Im sure there are hundreds if not thousands of cars not registered as a turbo, its a big risk if you get yellow stickered the only way around it is to take off the the turbo and make it NA again !

And then theres insurance 8O

Maybe its not worth it :roll:

I wonder how flygirl got around this ??
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

barfy wrote:Yeah and guess what they dont have a ficillity to conduct an emissions test...
There is an emissions testing facility in SA, not sure where, but like I said whereas NSW you can get free testing the equivalent one in SA is very expensive.
barfy wrote: Im sure there are hundreds if not thousands of cars not registered as a turbo, its a big risk if you get yellow stickered the only way around it is to take off the the turbo and make it NA again !
Thousands?? If you're referring to NA cars that have had turbos added I'd say you'd be amongst a very small minority. Couple of hundred at most I reckon.

When you get a turbo conversion it's not just emissions you have to look at. Brake upgrades, chassis bracing, etc.

If it's a car you're thinking of buying, just consult with an engineer first. Best way to find out :D
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

whats happens if you get caught with a turbo and you don't have a engineering papers, would I just get a defect or would I get a fine with that aswell.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

I had an engine conversion done to my car (upped capacity by 200cc and power by about 70%)
Just got a NSW signatory engineerer to engineer it, then took it over the pits in the ACT no problem. Past first go.

Check in your state, but I think if a signatory engineerer does the work, it'll be fine. Should only cost a few hundred $
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

kid_dynamite wrote:
barfy wrote:Yeah and guess what they dont have a ficillity to conduct an emissions test...
There is an emissions testing facility in SA, not sure where, but like I said whereas NSW you can get free testing the equivalent one in SA is very expensive.
barfy wrote: Im sure there are hundreds if not thousands of cars not registered as a turbo, its a big risk if you get yellow stickered the only way around it is to take off the the turbo and make it NA again !
Thousands?? If you're referring to NA cars that have had turbos added I'd say you'd be amongst a very small minority. Couple of hundred at most I reckon.

When you get a turbo conversion it's not just emissions you have to look at. Brake upgrades, chassis bracing, etc.

If it's a car you're thinking of buying, just consult with an engineer first. Best way to find out :D
Yep, also you'd be need a new gearbox cos your old one won't be able to handle all the extra power either, and it just cuts the life expectancy of your baby :cry:
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

there is a few post about on this...u need the engineering certification docs...otherwise it might be un-roadworthy and hence u void your insurance...this wont be good!
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

Well the moral of the story is if you live in SA dont turbo your car !

oh and subline there is no need to change your gearbox....

Have a read of this FTO turbo article.

http://www.filelodge.com/files/room25/6 ... Opart1.pdf

http://www.filelodge.com/files/room25/6 ... Opart2.pdf