TWIN TURBO FOR FTO!! need urgent reply!!!

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Hello_Kitty
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

TWIN TURBO FOR FTO!! need urgent reply!!!

Post by Hello_Kitty »

:evil: guys, fto couldnt even overtake a fxxking honda civic....... pissed me off!!! i ordered turbo for it, costs about $3400 inc installation, but friend just introduced twin turbo, i need to know the differences, is that necessary? You guys recom to modify engine?
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

What??

Street racing is bad, mmkay?
tj2709
Grease Monkey

Post by tj2709 »

yeah, when u ordered a turbo everyone can order a turbo, the thing is whether u have a really deep pocket to finish the project off, the whole thing should cost u around $8000-$10000, for an average setup, i quoted advan they said around 12-15K for a twin turbo setup, and that price is actually just a rough idea, it could go more, the difference is that the twin turbo wont have any turbo lag, why dont u look on the "car for sale " section, got the turbo FTO for sale around $20000.

ps: to take over a civic?? r u kidding? i ate the civic all the time. depends on the driver i think. urs man or tip? mivec or non?
if u thinkin to mod the FTO, u better be ready to rest it as well, a'ight?
ciaooo
Blasphemy
Grease Monkey

Post by Blasphemy »

Last time I checked a stock civic goes from a stand still to 100 in just under 10 seconds. If you're having trouble passing a civic... there must be some sort of problem.
Gpx_xxx
Grease Monkey

Post by Gpx_xxx »

LOL a civic?? Civic's r easy to overtake VrOoom Ikilled a seat Ibiza too :D ..
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

You driving a tip? If you got beaten by a done up civic then i can accept that but ... anyway ... some of the mods you've done so far is just for the looks and they do actually decrease performance you know?

If you really want to turbo it, go put a VR4 (twin turbo) or Evo engine (turbo) instead of turbo your currect FTO engine ...
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problem.

[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/79682123.png[/img]
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

You didn't get the kit from America?
AERODYNAMIST
Grease Monkey

Post by AERODYNAMIST »

i think there is a mechanic shop in sydney that will change your engine to evo engine for about 5000
noccers
Grease Monkey

Post by noccers »

i think there is a mechanic shop in sydney that will change your engine to evo engine for about 5000
tell me more of this shop in sydney. I'm not in sydney but i could be ;)
gawk; talk; date; wine; grep; touch; unzip; strip; touch; gasp; finger; gasp; mount; fsck; more; yes; fsck; gasp; eject; umount; make clean; make mrproper; sleep;

successful trades: d_stroy_r, shue, mxysxy, dstocks
AERODYNAMIST
Grease Monkey

Post by AERODYNAMIST »

well i'll ask my friend about it
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Re: TWIN TURBO FOR FTO!! need urgent reply!!!

Post by scarecrow »

Hello_Kitty wrote::evil: guys, fto couldnt even overtake a fxxking honda civic
Uh, just so we're clear, you do know that the accelerator is the pedal on the right... don't you?
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~viper39/carbw.jpg[/img]
ruffryders_sohaib

Post by ruffryders_sohaib »

If it only costs 5000 AUS Dollars to fit an evo engine, i think i might bring my car there from uk, to do the work. What would this include? Clutch? Gearbox? Mapping? Drive shafts? What exactly will come witht this and which evo engine will it be? also do you know if the setup will be for a fwd or 4wd
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

AERODYNAMIST wrote:well i'll ask my friend about it
quick! ask! i'm definitely interested! 8)
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problem.

[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/79682123.png[/img]
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

*smiles* remember kiddies, what something looks like on the outside, might not be the same on the inside =P

I've seen some fast civics in my time, especially civic hatches =P
shue
Oldtimer

Post by shue »

dont u think 5 k is a bit low to do a full on conversion. i'd down in sydney if this guy is for real too .
<div><strong>My Car for Sale - Contact Me</strong></div><br>
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

*nods* doing a custom turbo setup costs a lot of money, in testing and R&D, especially if you're a pioneer.

Anyways, long read coming up. I'm an arm chair mechanic, so if anyone cares to correct me, do so =)

There's a two twin turbo setup types:
Sequential and parallel.

Parallel twin turbo is when you've got two turbos, each feeding to one bank in a V or flat configured engine. In the case of an inline engine, the two turbos either feed to half of the cylinders each, or there's a pressure balancing mechanism that feeds into a common intake which feeds into all cylinders. You can run two smaller turbos to get the same volume of air into the system as a larger single in this setup.

The two turbos used are identical and thus they spin up at the same time. RB26DETT uses this setup.

Sequential twin turbo has two turbos, the second one usually of equal or larger size: the first (usually smaller) one that spools at lower rev ranges thus reducing spool lag and a second one to provide volume of air at higher RPM. These systems are complex as you need 4 computer controlled solenoids to control the airflow and activation of the larger turbo. This system provides less spooling lag than a single or parallel twin turbo setup, but at greater complexity. You probably won't see custom shops attempt this sort of setup without a lot of money backing the R&D

2JZ-GTE from the Mk IV Supra uses this setup

Then you've got single turbo setups, there's fewer pipes involved so it's a lot cheaper to build, and concievably you can run higher boost easier due to the simplicity (and fewer points of failure).

Of course, the larger the turbo, the more spool lag you get. But it's a hell of a lot simplier (and therefore cheaper) to setup.
Last edited by MADFTO on Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AERODYNAMIST
Grease Monkey

Post by AERODYNAMIST »

well that is y i said i THINK, i am not pretty sure about it coz my friend had an engine conversion in his civic coupe. he get a civic type r engine and it cost him 5000 but of course he has to give up his coupe engine to the shop. So its 5000 + his original engine
so dont get too excited coz it might cost different for an fto
tj2709
Grease Monkey

Post by tj2709 »

i asked about the evo conversion too, it will be like evo 3, 4. but the engine alone cost u $4-5000 ($6-7000 for evo 5 or 6), to convert it to 4wd or stay FW, conversion cost, around $3-5000, at the end will surely cost u pretty much the same, the only different is that u dont need to worry about engine blown. :wink:
to4garret
Apprentice

Post by to4garret »

MADFTO wrote:*Sequential twin turbo has two turbos of different sizes: a smaller one that spools at lower rev ranges and a larger one to provide greater boost at higher RPM. These systems are complex as you need 4 computer controlled solenoids to control the airflow and activation of the larger turbo. This system provides less spooling lag than a single or parallel twin turbo setup, but at greater complexity. You probably won't see custom shops attempt this sort of setup without a lot of money backing the R&D

6G72 from the Mitsu GTO Twin Turbo uses this setup.
incorrect, the 6G72 also runs a parallel turbo setup.
Horsepower is NOT proportional to the cross sectional area of your exhaust tip.<BR>[img]http://www.justwebmail.com/images/sig.jpg[/img]
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

Hmmm I was always under the impression that the GTO/3000GT used sequential turbos.

Correcting original post =)