playstation

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

demonic_hordes
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

playstation

Post by demonic_hordes »

has anyone tackled trying to put a playstation into their car?
what kind of things did u use to give the ps some juice?
where can i find these?
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Re: playstation

Post by kid_dynamite »

demonic_hordes wrote:has anyone tackled trying to put a playstation into their car?
what kind of things did u use to give the ps some juice?
where can i find these?
You need a 12V inverter. Get one from Jaycar, Strathfield, Dick Smith etc.
demonic_hordes
Apprentice

Post by demonic_hordes »

i've heard of actually converting the power unit in the ps. anyone attempted this?
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

I've heard that PStwo's have an external power pack so you don't need to f**k around with anything potentionally heat generating or overly expensive from Jaycar.

In summary, get a PStwo. From memory all you need to do is chop off the cable before the transformer and wire it up to 12v feed on your car (i could be wrong, the pstwo mightn't be 12v, but its close, certainly closer then having to stepup from 12v to 240v and then back down again inside the ps2).
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~viper39/carbw.jpg[/img]
AJ
Oldtimer

Re: playstation

Post by AJ »

demonic_hordes wrote:has anyone tackled trying to put a playstation into their car?
DZYRME had one in his FTO. I don't know if he did it himself but he'd be a good person to ask too. http://www.dzyrme.com/100_1277.JPG
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

I don't see the real use for putting a PS in your car, I guess it's good for showing off, just like DVD players :?
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
Raven
Grease Monkey

Post by Raven »

I am currently installing one aswell, and plan to convert the playstation to run directly from 12v.

this link should help i hope.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11261_7-6298931-2.html
Whats an FTO?
SILVERFISH
VIC Coordinator

Post by SILVERFISH »

...or if you believe that gaming peaked in 1992,
get a plug n play version of Street Fighter 2 -

http://www.firebox.com/?dir=firebox&act ... t&pid=1041

no loading times, 2 controllers and it runs off 4 x AA batteries
the graphics look great on a 7" screen (crap on a regular TV though)
you should be able to pick one up from kmart for about $25 :wink:

retro gaming at its finest
[url=http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13989][img]http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/8793/ftoclick6gx5.png[/img][/url]
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

lol good old steet fighter :P
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
Sparhawk
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Sparhawk »

scarecrow wrote:I've heard that PStwo's have an external power pack so you don't need to f*** around with anything potentionally heat generating or overly expensive from Jaycar.

In summary, get a PStwo. From memory all you need to do is chop off the cable before the transformer and wire it up to 12v feed on your car (i could be wrong, the pstwo mightn't be 12v, but its close, certainly closer then having to stepup from 12v to 240v and then back down again inside the ps2).
Just out of interest I checked my slimline PS2 the other day, and it runs on 8.5V
[color=blue]Death is life's way of telling you - you're fired.[/color]
Oh Bugger, my sig block pic has dropped off the host ;(
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

ps2 etc, are basically crappier versions of PCs (no offence meant there, just saying they r basically PCs), PCs run on 12v, 5v and 3.3v (i think its 3.3). 12v is for the mechanicall parts (i.e fans, spinning the HDD or CD ect).... so the ps2 would need different voltage for different parts too, the 8.5v would most likely be for th emechanical parts. and it'll still need the lower votages to run the CPU etc..

sry if i'm being confusing, i'm kinda hung over right now, but what i'm trying to say is that it is very very unlikely chopping the cable and wiring 12v to it is going to work. the easiest way is to just to put an inverter in, and also probably the cheapest unless u r an electrician.

i might be wrong, as fore this is all based on the little bit of research i did when i was looking at installing a PC into my car (i'm still doing it, but guys... nevery send a gf to another country to buy a touch screen, so much trouble and she didnt even buy one)
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
Raven
Grease Monkey

Post by Raven »

there is no transformer on a playstation cable so chopping the cable WILL do nothing.

an inverter to run a playstation will set you back about 80 - 100 bucks. but it is definatly the eaisest way.

i have obtained the parts to convert mine to run direct now, and cost me bout 14 bucks. however you will need someone with fair know how to install. trying to have it done at work now.
Whats an FTO?
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

Raven wrote:there is no transformer on a playstation cable so chopping the cable WILL do nothing.

an inverter to run a playstation will set you back about 80 - 100 bucks. but it is definatly the eaisest way.

i have obtained the parts to convert mine to run direct now, and cost me bout 14 bucks. however you will need someone with fair know how to install. trying to have it done at work now.
where do you work? o_0'

and can u explain your 14$ thing more? (may be of help with my desktop PC into car thingo project)

sry if i'm being drunk it's because i am (damn gettign the gf to bring 2L of johnny black back lol)
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
Raven
Grease Monkey

Post by Raven »

I work with computers, network administration. but there are some techs here that know there way around a soldering iron.

4 Diodes for $2
1 .01 uf capacitor $1.50
1 4700 uf capacitor $1.50
and a power regulator chip for $9

as for your computer, im installing one aswell.
CarNetix CNX-P1290 Dual Output 90 Watt 12V DC-DC Regulator

This power regulator will give me a steady 12 volts from the battery and shut doen my comp (the right way) if i turn off my car.

C134 Mini-ITX Case Black

case comes with a DC-DC power supply, bout 15cm x 5 cm chip board. puts out 60w, enough to run a small pc direct from 12v.
Whats an FTO?
Raven
Grease Monkey

Post by Raven »

as im finding out though, with the playstation there is 9 different series of playstation 2 and the mod can only be done to series 4 or later.

there is a sight somewhere that tells you how to distinguish between them.
Whats an FTO?