Sway bar bushes

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

G1
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Sway bar bushes

Post by G1 »

Hi guys and gals,

it's about time for me to change my sway bar (also called anti-roll bar) bushes front and back.

as we all know this is a common problem on the FTO, ususally the back is the problem, but my front ones are gone as well.

I was hoping those of you who have changed them already can share your experience in regards to:

- rubber or polyurethane?
- manufacturer?
- where did you get it done?
- how much did it cost including labour?
- did you get anything else done while you're at it (eg. uprated sway bar)
- happy with results?

thanks in advance :wink:
Last edited by G1 on Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

I think "bushes" in general refers to the go-between part between 2 mechanical moving parts.

Yeah G1 is referring to suspension bushes.

From what I've read, polyurethane is the one to go for as they last longer and doesn't deteriorate like rubber does. I would go for the Whiteline ones simply because I don't anyone else who has poly-bushes for the FTO.

G1, what was the first sign that made you suspicious of your bushes wearing out, so I can keep an eye out for the symptoms! Or did you get it checked out at a suspension check?
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

Dave, I have heard someone getting them done at Kmac as well...

I can clearly hear rattling when I go over bumps on the road

Taki from Perfect Run warned me about the front ones a few months ago, although at the time it was not apparent during normal driving. He showed me from under the car and when he shook the bar it was making clunking noises... so you may not actually notice it for yourself on the road until it is fairly worn out.
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

Ahh ok cool. I"ll get it a once over at my next major service.

Thanks.
LOO00X
Apprentice

Post by LOO00X »

Wow... I better check mine out too then.

I am going to be doing my timing belt on my next service and now i am thinkning about my suspension bushes too as I hear a lot of rattling when i go over bumps on the road, but I have to take into account my ultra stiff suspension which is such a pain the back side!!!

So i'd be interested in any feedback about this too in terms of costs and a supplier. Maybe my mechanic can get me pricing too, who knows?

If anyone needs a good mechanic who works on imports (FTOs as well of course) then try Josh at Pro Concept in West Ryde.

Cheers,
Brendan.
Austin
Apprentice

Post by Austin »

I had my rear ones replaced at Kmac, from memory cost about $40 to get em replaced w/ urethane.
they are located at Rockdale.

Brent