What car is this?

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

G1
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by G1 »

my guess is supra
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

Toyota TRD says it all doesn't it?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i can't believe you don't know what that is Eric... all those hours of staring at car pictures on the Internet and you can't tell what it is?? LOLz.....!!

that's a GT300 / GT500 Supra race car from the JGTC (Japan Grand Touring Championship).
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

GPXXX wrote:that's a GT300 / GT500 Supra race car from the JGTC (Japan Grand Touring Championship).
Any one got any specs on this and other JGTC cars? All I know bout JGTC is that GT300 is the 300hp class and GT500 is the 500hp class.

Would like to find out how these cars stack up against our V8 Supercars.
Last edited by TheSentry on Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin
Apprentice

Post by Austin »

That supra (all the supras in the gt class) is in the gt500 class, funnly enought the engine in them a 3sge (gt4) donk, its pushed back, gives better balnce and weight, yet still pumps out over 500ps.
The intercoolers are usually laid flat for better air flow in front of the engine.
I checked out one of there sites a while back (Japan gt class) but cant be bothered looking for it!

Brent
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

the 3SGTE motor in the GT500 car was used for lower weight and due to its smaller size, it is mounted further in towards the firewall for better weight balance. however i believe this engine is no longer used in the GT500 class anymore... Only the Toyota MR-S uses the 3SGTE now in the GT300 class.

as for specs on this car, well i hope you can read Japanese:
CLICK HERE FOR SPECS
* otherwise use Alta Vista to translate the page for you...

More info here --> http://www.jgtc.net
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

GPXXX wrote:however i believe this engine is no longer used in the GT500 class anymore...
According to the link you gave me, the Supra is running a 3UZ-FE which asfaik is a 5.2 litre V8. Now that is very interesting. :o
Austin
Apprentice

Post by Austin »

isnt the 3UZ-FE a 4.2 ltr?!

Brent
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

I believe it was, but from what I've found by doing a bit of searching the engine used in the Supra is based on the 3UZ-FE. Here is a quote from one of the pages I found:
In the All Japan GT Championship Series, TMC will strive for both the driver’s and team titles by introducing to competing Supras a new 5.2L normally aspirated V8 engine—based on the 4.3-liter V8 engine (3UZ-FE) available on the Celsior and other commercially sold models.
Source: http://www.toyota.co.jp/IRweb/corp_info ... /0225.html
Austin
Apprentice

Post by Austin »

cool. wonder how is sounds and goes?!

Brent
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

TheSentry wrote:I believe it was, but from what I've found by doing a bit of searching the engine used in the Supra is based on the 3UZ-FE. Here is a quote from one of the pages I found:
In the All Japan GT Championship Series, TMC will strive for both the driver’s and team titles by introducing to competing Supras a new 5.2L normally aspirated V8 engine—based on the 4.3-liter V8 engine (3UZ-FE) available on the Celsior and other commercially sold models.
Source: http://www.toyota.co.jp/IRweb/corp_info ... /0225.html
This could be a peek into the future for lower-emission high powered NA engines, following the footsteps of the 350Z.
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

Austin wrote:cool. wonder how is sounds and goes?!
Wondering the same thing. It should sound good considering it's running on 8 pots, but performance details r up in the air. Can't seem to find anything that gives performance specs, but there are probably some track times floating round. Problem is, what do we compare them to?
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

I'd like to see the Supra on the track with this baby:

GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i'd guess it'd be a fairly close matchup, considering that the V8 supercars are running at 620bhp and weighs in at only approx 1300kgs, whereas the JGTC cars are limited up to 500hp and weighing in at slightly less weight...

i'd like to see Keiichi Tsuchiya drift the tits out them though'! :D
Austin
Apprentice

Post by Austin »

actually its 500ps slighty diff from hp. Works out to be closer to 500 kw (rough calculation in head). The Supra would prob go better, better, newer technology, as oppoesed to the engine ford/holden is many, mnay, many moon old!!! Supra has better balance as well, prob weights less, has 6spd seq box. Would be good to see a race against them.
If some has Wayne Gardners # they could give him a call and ask him which is faster as he has driven both!

Brent
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

I think a race between the 2 would be a big head turner. Be a dream match for all the fanboys out there (including myself!). :lol:

Any way, I think Toyota would give the V8 Supercars a good shot if they finally do decide to turn up. Of course they can't use a Supra, but they would be able to work on a similar engine setup etc.
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

Well we saw what the Skylines did to Holden/Ford at Bathurst in the 90s.

Are the Supras at the GTs 4wd?