New Member Saying Hi!

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

AzzurrA
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by AzzurrA »

yeah, i know all about it...

the reason i have an RB25 turbo on there is my standard RB20 one went bang one day on the way to work....

I drove from Brisbane to Hervey Bay, and back (around 700km round trip) one weekend, that was extremely hot (42 degree air temp) and everything seemed okay, didn't hear any detonation etc...

went to drive the car to work the next morning, and the very first time i brought it onto boost, the turbo blew....
normally thats not so bad, when the exhaust wheel just falls off, except, with mine, the compressor wheel disintegrated as well... luckily the intercooler seemed to catch all the parts, except for a very fine dust that went right up to the throttle body.... i was tossing up whether to rebuild the engine, or do an engine conversion etc... in the end i decided i'd just keep the same engine in there and see how it behaved... so far (approx 6 months later) it still seems okay, doesn't seem to have been any damage from the dust etc, as it doesn't use any oil still, doesn't blow smoke etc...

couldn't figure out why it went bang, so we put the new turbo and intercooler on, and i was on my merry way again....
before i started driving it again i wanted to check the mixtures with the new/bigger turbo, to make sure all was okay, and thats when i found out why my turbo had blown...
mixtures were EXTREMELY lean, eventually traced it back to the fuel pump, so got that replaced, added a FPR, and has been okay ever since!
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

AzzurrA wrote:
The fto handles way better stock than the skyline. Having both...and having upgraded the suspenion on both...FTO wins every time.
thats your opinion.. as i said, you throw the right suspension at the skyline, and it is awesome. if you throw jap coilovers etc on the skyline, it is always gonna handle like ass.
have u ever driven an FTO? :wink:

Im not being biased just cos im an FTO owner but KJ being an owner of i think he just might have the right idea :)
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

With stock nissan turbos, I think they have a ceramic turbine wheel, if you run too much boost the turbine wheel starts to break away.
AzzurrA
Apprentice

Post by AzzurrA »

yeah, they do run a ceramic exhaust wheel.

as i said in my previous post... its not the level of boost that kills the ceramic, its the heat associated with a lot of boost.

excessive heat is what causes the ceramic exhaust wheel to fail...
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

you are all correct, more boost = more heat generated and at a certain point the wheel will fail and there is serious potential to get all kinds of crap into your engine.