New Member Saying Hi!

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

AzzurrA
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

New Member Saying Hi!

Post by AzzurrA »

Well, i know you guys probably get sick of these threads, but too bad :lol:

Just thought i'd say hi, and let you all know where i'm coming from...

I currently own a fairly modified 1992 R32 GTS-t Skyline, it owes me an obscenely stupid amount of money (as cars do, lol)

HOWEVER, that is not the reason i am here...
I have always had a passing interest in FTO's, and have recently started looking into them a bit for my little brother.

He currently owns a 1986 Series IV Mazda RX7 Turbo, but he's finding with him only working parttime, its hard to make ends meet while driving the mazda, so it has to go!

As such, i don't want him to drive around a complete heap of crap like an old colt or something, but want something with a bit less go than his RX7, so he's not tempted to race anything and everything (hey, i'm just a big brother looking out for my little bro :wink: ), but also something that handles well, has a 'bit' of get up and go, looks great, is new-ish, and is also relatively wallet-friendly in terms of servicing/petrol.

So, hello everyone, and i hope my stay here is a good one!
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Well, welcome I spose, but FTOs can get very tempting to spend cash on :twisted:
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
AzzurrA
Apprentice

Post by AzzurrA »

lol, trust me, i've had/got the modifying bug bigtime... am trying to kill it at the moment though :lol:

my skyline owes me probably in excess of $30 - $35k 8O
BuCkEt
Oldtimer

Post by BuCkEt »

The intial price of the FTO would offset any savings made by buying it in the first place.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I assume u have a R32GTR...whats sort of mods u got?? 35k is a lot of money.

as for the FTO..wicked car to drive...much better than the skyline IMO..and I have an R33. I find the FTO is great on the hill type roads with lots of corners...u fell in control and close to the road..the line is like a sedan...is ok..but no doubt it will blow all FTOs plus their mums away on the straight...stock.

I reckon the FTO has great looks...although it lacks in the performance dept. u'll get over it and use it more to crusie...its got a nice insdie trim for a mitsi and considering its roughly 10yo.

My suggestion. pay the extra to get one with some decent mods....I have seen a number of good ones for like 16k.

As for fuel...well depends on your traffic and driving. I do mainly highway KMs and last tank (2 days ago) I was on 640km and had 5lts (of 60) left...if u work that out its 11.5 km/lt which would have taken me to around 700km on a 60l tank....which is not too bad...and I don't take it to 6k every traffic lights..however other threads on this topic some ppl suggested I'm on drugs...but basically straight highway...every day and they can get fuked if they only do 400km per tank and don't believe me.

KJ
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

:roll: He we go again...

Hands up for "Skyline Thread" in gibberish?! :D
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

i thougt the majority was about FTOs... LOL :wink:
AzzurrA
Apprentice

Post by AzzurrA »

Bennoz wrote::roll: He we go again...

Hands up for "Skyline Thread" in gibberish?! :D
whatchu talkin 'bout, willis?
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

GT-Ts are great, u c so many of them. I love GTRs though, rarely see them around, if I had the money, I'd buy a r33 GTR over an FTO but I don't have that kinda money :? ahh if only I found 120,000 lying arnd somewhere, r34 here I come :lol:
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
AzzurrA
Apprentice

Post by AzzurrA »

For anyone that is interested (don't know how many of you would be :lol: ) here are some specs of my car....
1992 R32 Nissan Skyline GTS-t

Exterior:
Nissan S14a Rims with GoodYear Revspec RS-02 Tyres, in 205/55/16
or
Nissan R32 GTS-t Rims with Falken Azenis RT-215s Tyres, in 205/55/16
Rear Wing Removed, and Boot Welded Up/Resprayed
R32 GTR Sideskirts
R32 GTR Front Grille
R32 GTR Aluminium Bonnet

Interior:
Nismo Leather Gearknob
New Leather Gearstick and Handbrake Boots
R32 GTR Steering wheel
R32 GTR Drivers Seat
Autometer Boost Gauge
Impakt's NissanDataScan Consult Interface
GReddy Turbo Timer

Suspension & brakes:
Kings 'Lows' Springs all around
Bilstein Shocks all around
Flying Performance Front Strut Brace
Generic Rear Strut Brace
Whiteline Front and Rear Blade Ajustable swaybars
Whiteline Adjustable Front Camber Bushes
Whiteline Adjustable Front Castor Bushes
Whiteline Adjustable Rear Camber Bushes
Whiteline Subframe Lock and Align Kit
Custom made Hicas Lock Kit
Ferodo DS2500 Brake Pads up Front
Ferodo DS2500 Brake Pads rear
DBA 4000 Slotted front rotors
Machined standard Rear Rotors
Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid

Engine:
Flying Performance 3" Front/Dump Pipe
3" High-Flow Cat
3" Kakimoto Catback Exhaust
K&N Pod Filter
Custom Cold Air Feed/Heat Shield
Heavy Duty Clutch of Unknown Origin
RB25 Turbo with RB20 Actuator (increases base boost)
R34 GTT Sidemount Intercooler with Custom Piping
D2 Fuel Pressure Regulator
Walbro 255 Litre/Hour Fuel Pump
GReddy Type S Plumbback BOV
TurboTech Boost Controller
Remapped ECU Chip mapped by DrDrift

The car made 171.3 RWKW at only 11psi boost, which isn't that much really, but the car only weighs in at 1200kg - 1250kg, and is set up for the track, so it's not too bad :)

Coming Soon:
* Splitfire Coilpacks
* Oil Cooler
* Get a new set of springs wound that are slightly (around 20mm) longer, as the car sits too low currently. When i do this will also bump up the spring rate slightly
* Brake master cylinder stopper.
* Brake Bias Adjuster
* A Set of 17" x 8" Koya Driftek Rims (or Uras NS-01's)

Pics:
I assume u have a R32GTR...whats sort of mods u got?? 35k is a lot of money.
see above... R32 GTS-t
ahh if only I found 120,000 lying arnd somewhere, r34 here I come
geez, are you buying the MINES R34 GTR or something? :P You can pick up a fairly stock R34 GTR for under 60 or 70k these days i think.

The good news is my brother went to a caryard and had a look at an FTO on Monday, and he came home and said he really liked it, and it wasn't as bad in the flesh as he thought (he was a bit iffy about the rear end... loved the rest of the car though)
he hasn't been able to drive one yet though, due to the one in the caryard not being available for sale as they were still compliancing it etc...
Not sure how else he could go about seeing what they drive like...?
i may put a post up in the Queensland section to see if i can organise a meetup or something and see if a couple of people want to take him for a quick ride in a few different cars so he can see what they're like?
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

What's a skyline?

Is that like those cars that everyone's got that you don't notice them anymore? :lol: :lol: :lol:
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
AzzurrA
Apprentice

Post by AzzurrA »

Nacho wrote:What's a skyline?

Is that like those cars that everyone's got that you don't notice them anymore? :lol: :lol: :lol:
you almost got it right!

its one of those cars that everyones got, that goes and handles better than 99.5% of FTO's! :lol:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

AzzurrA wrote:handles better than 99.5% of FTO's! :lol:
Oooooh... you're treading a dangerous line with that call! :lol:
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Its lucky we all have the other .5% then isnt it!
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

AzzurrA wrote:
Nacho wrote:What's a skyline?

you almost got it right!

its one of those cars that everyones got, that goes and handles better than 99.5% of FTO's! :lol:
ah yes it does "go" better than 99.5% of the fto, I wouldn't be so sure about the handling!
just keep in mind, people that buy FTOs don't buy them for their speed! :wink:
and it's not like we can't afford a faster car, we just love the car in general :D
AzzurrA
Apprentice

Post by AzzurrA »

haha, it was a tongue in cheek comment guys, don't stress 8)

in general, skylines don't handle that great, stock, but you throw the right suspension components at it, and they handle like a go-cart...

i have no troubles keeping up with top-spec MX5's through the twisties (my friend has a factory Mazdaspeed MX5 SE (turbo) with the uprated suspension and brakes etc, and i can hold my own through the corners with him)

and i was catching MX5's through the corners out at Lakeside on Monday (and they were on semi-slicks and i was on my street tyres 8O )
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

11psi on the stock rb25 turbo is probably doing more harm than good...get ready for the wheel to let loose and your engine to digest all types of stuff. The stockies are only really good to about 10 and the rest of your gains are lost in heat above that..on top of that your runnin a GTT SMIC probably (whihc I was too) which I found is not enough to get your cooling down for this boost level as sustained peroids - i.e. track work you might wanna look at a front mount. Seemed to go ok for 7-8psi but now I'm running 16psi and dyno'd it on 24 so some serious figures.

The fto handles way better stock than the skyline. Having both...and having upgraded the suspenion on both...FTO wins every time.

anyway I love the pics...looks nice - the r32 is a mean looking beast..
AzzurrA
Apprentice

Post by AzzurrA »

khunjeng wrote:11psi on the stock rb25 turbo is probably doing more harm than good...get ready for the wheel to let loose and your engine to digest all types of stuff. The stockies are only really good to about 10 and the rest of your gains are lost in heat above that
I have disagree with you on that...
Its been proven time and again that the stock RB25 turbos are good for around 12 - 13psi on an RB25, stock... anything above that and they start to fail due to the heat associated.... (its not the boost that kills them, its the heat... if you can keep the heat down, then u can run more boost)
However, on an RB20, you're getting less airflow at the same boost level (due to having 1/2 a litre less capacity) so 'in theory' you could probably run around 1bar of boost through an RB25 turbo on an RB20 with it only stressing it about as much as 12 or 13psi on an RB25.

on top of that your runnin a GTT SMIC probably (whihc I was too) which I found is not enough to get your cooling down for this boost level as sustained peroids - i.e. track work you might wanna look at a front mount. Seemed to go ok for 7-8psi but now I'm running 16psi and dyno'd it on 24 so some serious figures.
Frontmount is coming very soon :wink:
The fto handles way better stock than the skyline. Having both...and having upgraded the suspenion on both...FTO wins every time.
thats your opinion.. as i said, you throw the right suspension at the skyline, and it is awesome. if you throw jap coilovers etc on the skyline, it is always gonna handle like ass.
anyway I love the pics...looks nice - the r32 is a mean looking beast..

Cheers 8)
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I have disagree with you on that...
Its been proven time and again that the stock RB25 turbos are good for around 12 - 13psi on an RB25, stock... anything above that and they start to fail due to the heat associated.... (its not the boost that kills them, its the heat... if you can keep the heat down, then u can run more boost)
However, on an RB20, you're getting less airflow at the same boost level (due to having 1/2 a litre less capacity) so 'in theory' you could probably run around 1bar of boost through an RB25 turbo on an RB20 with it only stressing it about as much as 12 or 13psi on an RB25.
mate your right..I'm in 2.5l mode. Still your approaching the limit for that turbo...u just don't wanna have it let go on you...bad news.