Opinions on this vague setup..

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

SilentBob
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Opinions on this vague setup..

Post by SilentBob »

Ok, after some research and question asking and brief demo'ing...ive made a rough idea on a system, and would like some opinions...so here goes

Head deck --- after Mikey's inspiration I am leaning towards the Panasonic DF983, 50Wx4 pretty as hell head deck....RRP $829
Front Splits --- listened to the JBL's and for the price didnt find them to bad at all....GTO605Ce...RRP $259
Sub --- the JBL 10" 250W RMS GT4-10....RRP $179
Amp --- undecided, but looking at either the 4/3/2 Channel JBL 4x40W 4ohm, bridges to 2x160W P-80.4...$699 or
......JBL GTO6000 6/5/4/3 4x50W+2x75W 4ohm $599

Now...im still somewhat confused :)
All the speakers and subs are rated at 4 ohms...but the amps have a 2ohm rating as well...being in hi-fi i know how this works, but in car audio im not sure its the same....ie can you wire a speaker or sub so it appears as 2 ohms to get more power out of the amp?
Also...the sub is rated at 250W nominal...would 160W from say the P-80.4 be sufficient to drive it? I have heard that the JBL amps do have plenty of grunt... *shrugs*

anyway...as a rough idea...those RRPS, depending on which amp equates to about 2k...which after some 'less for cash crap' would prolly be a tad under that...
after some phone calls and rep-begging...i can get it all for around $1400 bucks

Now what im wondering is......would that be a decent system for a sub 1500 buck job....

For around 550 bucks.....would a different head deck be better?
For around $170 bucks...would different splits be better?
For around $550 bucks...would a different amp be better?

I know thats a lot of questions, but hey.....im looking for help :)

Thanks
SilentBob
jetlee
Apprentice

Post by jetlee »

Hey silentbob

Don't buy the JBL GTO speackers, they are low end stuff
Pana deck rocks though, but you can still get a great deck for $200 bucks cheaper. Probably not worth spending any more on the deck if your looking at lower end speakers like the GTO

It all comes down to budget, but i just bought splits and an amp and a sub is on its way. I assume you went to strathfield to get these prices.
I went to JB and got JL Audio splits VR600csi for $300, which are miles better that the GTO series. In my opinion the VR600csi are the most natural splits you can buy for $300. For a little more though try phoenix gold tantrums, hertz hks165 or boston fs60's but you have to find a retailer whi stocks them.
I then got a cadence amp Q4000 (gpxxx has the same amp) which is hard to beat bang for buck 4x60rms for $370
as for a sub it also comes to what you prefer but i am looking at either a kicker or JL, if you have a budget of less than $200 i would look at the pioneer or maybe someof the cheaper hertz.

you would struggle to find a set of splits for $170, if so they'd be sh*t.
you can get an awesome amp for $550 - $699 but i would definately not buy the jbl
for around 550 you could get a cadence z series which are good, but also kicker.

hope this helps
snoogans
Artist formerly known as XXXFTO
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

Thanks..
actually those prices are special prices obtained due to where i work we stock other gear from JBL, panasonic etc and i can get these at cost(or costish for the JBL stuff)

Im revised my choices and JBL is now out...
Looking at something like
Hertz Splits at the front HSK165
Pheonix Gold 10" Sub (either single or dual voice coil)
Audison SRX3 Amplifier(2x75+250)
Pana head deck(i think its so pretty)

This is a rough list, still in revision...the budget looks like its been increased a tad though :)

SilentBob
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i feel that the audison amp is slightly overkill for the rest of your system but then again it's more expandable in the future i guess...

Post by Guest »

Sounds good silentbob
have you heard the pg sub
maybe look at 12"
and the audison amp is a good choice and i second what gpxxx said about it
the hsk165 are great splits too
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Who stocks Hertz brand speakers???
JBHELL

Post by JBHELL »

Look for a head unit that has at least 4Volts pre out as well as amps that suports it. If you're going to run the front and back speakers with amps, then
don't be tricked by head units with high wattage ouput as it will become useless. Furthermore high powered head units are mostly rated at peak or maximum rated for marketing. If the head unit has is rated at 50Wx4, you would be lucky to get 25W RMS out from it.

I would assume the amp you are looking at would be 2ohms stable in stereo but not in bridge mode. I would suggest for you to invest on a decent 2 channel amp to run your sub(s), but if budget is tight then get a 4ch amp and bridge two channel for the sub(s) and the other two to run your front splits then run your rears from the head deck.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

rxboy wrote:Who stocks Hertz brand speakers???
i'm pretty sure www.webaudiodirect.com (aka dbFever) has them in stock which you can buy online.

otherwise there is another retailer at Taylors Lakes who stocks PG/Infinity/Hertz products... If interested I can give you his details.