Oxygen Sensor

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Oxygen Sensor

Post by Bennoz »

Anyone ever sourced one locally for a resonable price? Gotta replace mine & not really keen to part with $250 to Mitsi Aus...
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

what were the syptoms of when it went i have a feeling mine has gone too
[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/barfy76/barfycopy1.jpg[/img]
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Idle is a bit funny & it pings pretty bad when under load (low rpm)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Oh, and fuel ecomony is horrific!
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

I got a universal one from fleabay (UK) for twenty quid delivered. Quite a few UK cars are wearing these now and they work fine.

You need a four wire one like this one http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OXYGEN-O2-SENSOR ... dZViewItem and it takes about 20 minutes to fit.

HTH

Arashi
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Storm wrote:I got a universal one from fleabay (UK) for twenty quid delivered. Quite a few UK cars are wearing these now and they work fine.

You need a four wire one like this one http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OXYGEN-O2-SENSOR ... dZViewItem and it takes about 20 minutes to fit.

HTH

Arashi
Sensational Arashi, love your work 8)

So you just cut the original plug off & rewire into it or just wire the new sensor into the cars socket?
frozenwaffles
Grease Monkey

Post by frozenwaffles »

mayan at maytech fitted a new bosch one onto my car. was $160 for the sensor...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah NGK do 'em as well for about the same price by the looks of it... but this universal one on Ebay for $55 is lookin' good about now.
noccers
Grease Monkey

Post by noccers »

Bennoz wrote:Idle is a bit funny & it pings pretty bad when under load (low rpm)
Hm, I thought my car just needed a tune but now that you bring this up I begin to wonder. How can I diagnose it for sure? My fuel economy has dropped significantly over the past 3 weeks.
gawk; talk; date; wine; grep; touch; unzip; strip; touch; gasp; finger; gasp; mount; fsck; more; yes; fsck; gasp; eject; umount; make clean; make mrproper; sleep;

successful trades: d_stroy_r, shue, mxysxy, dstocks
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

noccers wrote:
Bennoz wrote:Idle is a bit funny & it pings pretty bad when under load (low rpm)
Hm, I thought my car just needed a tune but now that you bring this up I begin to wonder. How can I diagnose it for sure? My fuel economy has dropped significantly over the past 3 weeks.
Take it to your local Mitsubishi dealer & get them to hook it up to the matrix...

Thats what I did today :wink:
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

Mine starts but idle goes from rought back up to normal and when i rev it sound shocking also the engine light is on ?!?!

what do u think ?
[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/barfy76/barfycopy1.jpg[/img]
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

barfy wrote:Mine starts but idle goes from rought back up to normal and when i rev it sound shocking also the engine light is on ?!?!

what do u think ?
Worry!

I would run a biagnostics check on it ASAP/
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

I replaced mine a month ago, I got it from repco for $113, it was a universal one that was to fit a V6 galant.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Well I got one. Paid a little more cause I needed it today. Same one as you I think Bigpitty - to suit Galant 6A12. My local Auto One (love that shop :D ) were kind enough to get it in for me on the same day, cost me $88.

For anyone whos interested, its a ACA brand, Part Number: OX204 :wink:

If anyone wants a DIY let me know, I'll be swapping it out tomorrow.
Toohey

Post by Toohey »

Hey bennoz, do you have any information on the swap? I need to do mine I think...
onnzo
Grease Monkey

Post by onnzo »

Make sure you blast it with wd40 as soon as you can - for a few days preferably!

The FTO one shouldnt be too bad as it wouldnt get too hot. On on my old turbo lancer) I had to heat the thing up with a blow torch and used a 4 meter breaker bar to get it off! I ended up taking off the manifold.

Used a small one at first and it wouldnt budge. Kept having to find pipes until I got the biggest longest steel pipe I could find in the garage!

Mike
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I hear ya! She was on REAL tight. Fortunately it was only about 18 months ago I had my exhaust done so they had to remove & reinstall it then - so she wasnt to badly burnt in.

Now Im finding its only cured half the problem... the other sensor (the one behind the cat) is about gone too! When I swap it out I'll do a full guide. Apart from getting them out its not a hard job. Using a generic replacement, you do have to cut the plug off the factory one & solder it to the new sensor, but the wire colours are standardized so you know what to solder where.
Toohey

Post by Toohey »

can you tell me where to start looking to pull the sensor off the exhaust? I had a quick look and couldn't see it. Bennoz, the sensor you picked up works fine? I'll try to get my hands on one.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Look under the car from under the drivers door - you'll see them in the exhaust, 1 in front of the cat converter & 1 behind. When I swap the second one out I'll tell you if they are both good to buy - cause at this stage its difficult to tell having only swapped one out.
Toohey

Post by Toohey »

Thanks heaps!! :D