Sound Deadening, Dynamat

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

shue
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Sound Deadening, Dynamat

Post by shue »

where can i buy dynamat in melb and does anyone who could do it for me and approx costs. what parts would i need to sound deaden? obviously the doors, boot. any other parts ive missed? could i sound deaden the parcel shelf to reduce the damn rattles?
<div><strong>My Car for Sale - Contact Me</strong></div><br>
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Re: Sound Deadening, Dynamat

Post by kid_dynamite »

shue wrote:where can i buy dynamat in melb and does anyone who could do it for me and approx costs. what parts would i need to sound deaden? obviously the doors, boot. any other parts ive missed? could i sound deaden the parcel shelf to reduce the damn rattles?
Get it from: Freeway in Dandenong, Stylyn/Central Car Radio in Moorabbin (I can't spell that place), and Autobarn can order it if they don't have instore..those places should be able to install too.. or eBay if you want to source it :wink:

Doors: Deaden the outer door skin, place a diffuser directly behind the speaker, cover service holes with 3mm (doesn't need to be too thick) MDF, held with duct tape. then deaden the inner door skin.

Boot: boot lid, insides of the boot, as far as you can reach.

Number plate: behind it to stop rattling.

Doing a full on job probably need about two bulk packs. I only needed a door kit in my old 33, as I did the front half of the doors (inner and outer) only.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

make sure your rear seatbelts are clipped in. They vibrate against your rear side panels.
malcolm
Apprentice

Post by malcolm »

u mean like apply it behind the number plate? Will the dynamat's adhesive wear off during wet weather or extremely hot summers?
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

yes it can fall off if not installed properly.
Liquidity
Grease Monkey

Post by Liquidity »

theres an excellent DIY guide to sound deadening on CAA, if you'd like the link.
Its got photos, and about 3 pages of forum discussion on it covering all the newbie questions and concerns.

Its quite easy, if time consuming, to do yourself.
On a small car like an fto, honestly, you'd probably only need one bulk pack. Invest the money of the "Second" pack on stuff like foam underlay (goes under your carpet to block out road noise, which dynamat simply wont do).

Properly applied, (ie, surface cleaned then prepped with wax and grease remover, then applied firmly (preferably with a roller) dynamat *extreme* wont come off, no.

Cheaper stuff (flashtac, bostik) will fall off, even properly applied. Doesnt sound like a big deal untill you touch SD. Its...sticky. If it peels inside your doors and hits glass, you will simply have to replace it. Let alone how much of a bitch it can be to "redo".
shue
Oldtimer

Post by shue »

id love the link dude. :)
<div><strong>My Car for Sale - Contact Me</strong></div><br>
Liquidity
Grease Monkey

Post by Liquidity »