The FTOA Oil Thread

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

nicholas
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by nicholas »

Just some quick questions guys -
I'm about to put my car in for its first service since I bought it.

I wanna go for 10k OCI, and use my car for a combination of short trips and longer drives, but almost always no longer than an hour at once.

I was thinking of getting UAS to do the service, they say they use Motul 4100 synthetic type. I looked up Motul and the specs say 4100 is only semi-synthetic.

Also, I don't drive my car hard all that often... so...

Is 4100 ok, or if I want 10k between changes, should I go for, say, 300V?
Also, given the way I drive my car, should I go more for 5W30 or 10W40?
And, what price could I expect for 4.4L of 300V / 4100?
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

nicholas wrote:Just some quick questions guys -
I'm about to put my car in for its first service since I bought it.

I wanna go for 10k OCI, and use my car for a combination of short trips and longer drives, but almost always no longer than an hour at once.

I was thinking of getting UAS to do the service, they say they use Motul 4100 synthetic type. I looked up Motul and the specs say 4100 is only semi-synthetic.

Also, I don't drive my car hard all that often... so...

Is 4100 ok, or if I want 10k between changes, should I go for, say, 300V?
Also, given the way I drive my car, should I go more for 5W30 or 10W40?
And, what price could I expect for 4.4L of 300V / 4100?
4100 Turbolight is pretty much their cheapest product and I would use it personally.

I would go their 8100 ESTER E-TECH LITE or 300V range, failing that Mobile 1.

II think its most important to run a 30wt in a MIVEC especially. No to mention the better startup protection. Unlessu see track time and get the temps up there would not go past a 30wt. 20wt is now common in the US.

Price dunno, $80+ never bougt it.

Make sure they use a good oil filter, K&N or the OEM one for sure, do not accept a Ryco as they are crapola
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

10,000 km oil service completed this weekend.

Things to note:
No oil usage for the entire 10,000 km.
After a total of 30,000 km since the tappets were adjusted, still no tappet noise AT ALL!

Parts
1. New OEM filter as I had to wait for the K&N.
2. 5 Qts of Redline 5W30 for under $100 from Harold at http://www.performancelub.com/
3. Oil sample kit (Wearcheck)

Just dropped the other half at the airport - running like a dream.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

I just did an oil change yesterday ... Ended up putting in a 5x40 ... Think it was Shell Helix... Car was making some tapet noises on cold start up before the change... Seems to be real good now ... No complaints yet...
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Guys n girls,

Have a flick through this
http://www.scmotorsports.ca/public/OilTests.pdf

As always, take things with a grain of salt but it all helps in forming opinions and placebo effects doesn't it ? :P

Edit: Serviced my car last week with RP, good stuff. I don't know what the engine had in it (bought car with 8800km on clock) but after RP, rpm's fall a little slower, engine is smoother and car does feel better to drive. My mate's evo6 noticed the same thing.
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

check this out guys
you can select the FTO 2.0L V6
shell recommends the helix super 10w 40 and recommend it gets changed every 7500km
http://www.shell.com/home/PlainPageServ ... _1128.html
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

Delvance wrote:Guys n girls,

Have a flick through this
http://www.scmotorsports.ca/public/OilTests.pdf

As always, take things with a grain of salt but it all helps in forming opinions and placebo effects doesn't it ? :P

Edit: Serviced my car last week with RP, good stuff. I don't know what the engine had in it (bought car with 8800km on clock) but after RP, rpm's fall a little slower, engine is smoother and car does feel better to drive. My mate's evo6 noticed the same thing.
Yeah, mechanic showed me this last week. He sells RP so I'm putting it in in my next service next week, he can't stop talking about the stuff. He's got a drag car and raves about the stuff, most oils I've used turn black in the first month or so and he said he had seen the same thing but said the RP stays purple till his next change for him.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

if it turns black then its doing its job.

RP is suposed ot be good, however I have never used it.
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Yeah it's good that it goes black lol (doing it's job), but the RP also turns black as well and loses it's funky smell (open a bottle of it and smell it...it's syrupy sweet smell...smells better than a lot of drinks lol).

I've got some RP in my 3mps atm, it does feel a lot better (for just an oil change) compared to the magnetec stuff mazda normally put in. The micropolishing part is cool too :P Think i'll be using RP from now on...feels good, good result in the linked test and the garage i goto always have it.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

the linked test is actually flawed in many ways, but I have seen many people et some good results from it so I want bag it.

Go for it I say. however there would be nothing wrong with a M1 type oil...pretty good also.

What weight are you using? for the with the FTO and the MPS
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Ay, there are definitely many flaws in the test plus they also admit at the start of it that it doesn't test everything and in real world, an oil that tested badly might actually come out better than the ones that tested best.

I've got RP 10w-40 in the mps and i used to use M1 5w-50 in the fto. It was a bit of a tossup in the fto. One moment i'd be doing 3k rpms for the week etc and sometimes i'd have the car at a minimum of 5k rpms upto redline for 10 minutes or so...figured thick was better than it breaking down.

Happy with both!
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

fair enough, I'n going to be running 10w40. Especially heading into summer I think a 5w30 would not be able to handle 40 degree days. Although I'm definately not trying to say I'm an expert.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I'm going to try putting in some Motul 8100 E-Tech & see how that runs & then the next oil change after that I'll give some Motul 300V 5w30 a go

does anyone know where the cheapest place to get some 300V is?
JOeJOe
Oldtimer

Post by JOeJOe »

I've been using the Penzoil 10w40 and it works a treat, will try the more expensive RP next service.

I use to give it to my mechanic to change my oil, now that im doing it myself might as well use the money and try different stuff.
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

i heard from the president from SPOON said, most car owners often neglected that they should change the tranny oil together with the engine oil. ofcos they dont mix but what hes trying to point out is the tranny oil wear out too and its equally important as the engine oil.

so anyone here do it?
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

zuihoujueding wrote:i heard from the president from SPOON said, most car owners often neglected that they should change the tranny oil together with the engine oil. ofcos they dont mix but what hes trying to point out is the tranny oil wear out too and its equally important as the engine oil.

so anyone here do it?
yes. but no need to do it as frequently.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

zuihoujueding wrote:i heard from the president from SPOON said, most car owners often neglected that they should change the tranny oil together with the engine oil. ofcos they dont mix but what hes trying to point out is the tranny oil wear out too and its equally important as the engine oil.

so anyone here do it?
neglect it? :P

I know I have been neglecting it a bit.. :oops:

I would agree that its just as important as the engine oil, but I wouldn't change it every time I do a service..

I have no idea what SPOON is, unless its a Fan Club for THE TICK?
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

mr-charisma wrote:

so anyone here do it?
neglect it? :P

I know I have been neglecting it a bit.. :oops:

I would agree that its just as important as the engine oil, but I wouldn't change it every time I do a service..

I have no idea what SPOON is, unless its a Fan Club for THE TICK?
ya, i think its abit overkill to change it that frequently, maybe once every two oil change?
but he said it for a reason.
Spoon, J Racing, JUN, Mugen, Seeker....ring the bell?
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

spoon is a famous honda tuning company lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoon_Sports

and most importantly...
I just went in there and Hector is gonna be runnin' 3 Honda Civics with spoon engines and on top of that, he just came into Harry's and he ordered three T-66 turbos, with NOS, and MoTeC systems exhaust.
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

jonowong wrote:spoon is a famous honda tuning company lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoon_Sports

and most importantly...
I just went in there and Hector is gonna be runnin' 3 Honda Civics with spoon engines and on top of that, he just came into Harry's and he ordered three T-66 turbos, with NOS, and MoTeC systems exhaust.
turbos? NOS? my oh my.....those are for drags?