Ignition Noise

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

MintFTO
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Ignition Noise

Post by MintFTO »

I Just installed a set of 6" MTX Splits in my front doors and I have these running off an amp, but i seem to be getting some serious ignition noise coming trough them, i have the RCA's running down the centre of the car and the power lead running down the passenger side, with the amp in the boot, this is earthed to the chassis. does anyone have any suggestions on what is causing this? or how i can stop it??
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

Check and make sure the rca's arent running near any other power cables in the car for some other electronics and double check the earth as well. If that is all phone Im not sure what is causing it but you can get somthing for it. Im not sure what its called but it's like an engine noise limiter. This guy at work has it in his car, I can ask him what it is and how to install. I'll get back to u.
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

I have the same problem. I have almost completely solved it. Simple answer - get High quality rca cables. I have cheap rca leads that have very poor insulation and i get some very subtle noise still, but at a level that i cannot hear at normal stereo volumes.

There are a number of power wires that cross the car. I have my rca's runing down the centre too - but there are rear light power cables around the back seat area in mine - so that might still be interfering with the signal. I wouldnt bother with one of those noise filters - i tried that and nothing was solved.

Check the rca's also dont go near any power cables at the front end too - like the power cable for your centre console gear - lights, climate control, or your head unit. I would suggest going to a decent car stereo place and telling them your problem. Ask if you could try a better rca cable before you buy. I cant see why they would disagree.
rac33r

Post by rac33r »

I have that problem too..does this happen when u step on the throttle??
like the noise varies depending on how much throttle u got going??

yeah better RCAs would probably do the trick..! i reduced the noise with a noise filter..but yeah it still is there..

someone told me that its most likely the earth...make sure its at a good spot..and make sure there isnt any paint on it..!

that might work...i havent solved mine yet..but after the noise filter u get for like 15 dollars at jay car its pretty quiet...

but i reckon try cleaning the earth...
MintFTO
Apprentice

Post by MintFTO »

Thanks Guy's, yeh i have my earth on one of those nuts u can access from the boot through one of those covers near the tail lights, i also just went and picked up a noise filter if this doesnt work i'll go for some new hi quality rca's, the ones i have atm are just strathfield ones, of no particular brand from what i can remember.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i had the same problem at one stage so i got a noise filter fitted and it sorta fixed it, but one day as i was tuning y amp i think i blew it so guess i'm gonna either have to get anotherone or find a better grounding point, LOL...!!
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

Quality wires and good earthing points should be all you need if you have reasoably good equipment.