DIY "A" team

Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

khunjeng
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY "A" team

Post by khunjeng »

Nice1 today guys...Nacho, myself and RnBBoi and MxySxy (who bought some beers!) did DIY drop link session on a few cars...

Althoughwe had some issues that required a angle grinder...the installs went good - I think NAcho has some pics :P

So Rear drop links and sway bars + bushes are now an easy replace.

In the next few weeks the fronts will be done...moving forward replacement of most bushes.

I hope we got a photo of the bolt that was welder to the old drop link after some of Ken's grinding handy-work. lol

I installed some new LEDs from the US which makes my dash aswome..updates on the new style 5 x LEDs for dash cluster replacements later with pics - with the KMC V4 dials.

Looking for DIY ideas and planned session form the crew. I think MAx is the seat cover guy and Nacho is the chef - hmm lunch was great..

Chris.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

So who was Mr T? :lol:
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

FTO338 wrote:So who was Mr T? :lol:
hahaha...I reckon Joel was Mr. T :P
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

i wish we had DIY days in nsw!
rnbboi
Mechanic

Post by rnbboi »

I hope we got a photo of the bolt that was welder to the old drop link after some of Ken's grinding handy-work. lol
that was...a f*cking bitch of a bolt/nut im telling ya

i got a pic of the old drop links but thats about all. I think joel has more pics... some angle grinding moments and that f*cking welded bolt/nut...

had a few hiccups, but at the end, we got the job done :)

ive neva rly been a DIY person, but the feeling of actually completing something yourself is gold - not to mention saving yourself a bit of $$
I installed some new LEDs from the US which makes my dash aswome..updates on the new style 5 x LEDs for dash cluster replacements later with pics
chris, those new leds do look $$. they came out rly good. about bloody time i say - after spending all that $$ on leds lol

and joel, thanks for the lunch - like chris said, it was great brother [/quote]
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

Actually I installed them in the FTO...and they looked sh*t :P lol but in the R33 dash they were perfect. I put my t10 globes back in my FTO dash and it looks good again...

Front drop links and sway bar and bushes is the god next week/month. Makes it so much easier with more people.

Also a ATF and manual change is on the cards. Never done it myself and looking forward to some of that action. There is a DIY guide on this site also.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

No probs guys it was a good day and the weather was quite good but the wind was a b*tch!

Maybe the next DIY day could be at Chris' house so we can do the front droplinks and rest of the bushes. Hope his pit helps! :wink:

These were the photos from our DIY day:

Chris' Beast

Max's Other Girlfriend

Nacho's Passion Red

Ken's Soon To Be Ex

Nacho's FTO GP Type J

It's Angle Grinder Time

Hacks

Let's Test These Droplinks And Bushes

Sorry I had to shrink them guys but they were originally about 4 megs each and that would be shocking for the dialup members.
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
Nikki
Apprentice

Post by Nikki »

damn! sorry i missed out guys looks like you had fun! what did you have for lunch?
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

Nikki wrote:damn! sorry i missed out guys looks like you had fun! what did you have for lunch?
We missed you Nikki, we were looking for somebody that might know how to use the angle grinder...
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Well we're gonna need it again when we do the front droplinks. We need someone with little fingers coz there's not too much room.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I will hopefully get my droplinks soon and begin on the back. I wanna to the trans oil and the front links also inclusing all the sway bar bushes.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Yeah let us know when you get em. Maybe we can work on them this Sat if they arrive by then but I'm guessing it might be the week after. Thing is I might be flying up to brisbane that weekend if I don't have anything on so make sure you let me know well beforehand.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

So when are you guys working on my car?

I hope you are handy with a spray gun :lol:
LED ALL the things.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

Supplanter wrote:So when are you guys working on my car?

yeah DIY sprey job.. lol I'II give it a go. just don't expect it to be good.
rnbboi
Mechanic

Post by rnbboi »

Supplanter wrote:So when are you guys working on my car?

Joel has a compressor on the rdy at his place. So just give us a date when your free and im sure we can turn Joels garage into a baking oven :lol:
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

:lol: I already tried that when I first bought my body kit. I used to practice every weekend but get average results. Just couldn't get the shine to come out even more coz I wasn't sure how thick or thin the coat was meant to be.

I had 3 column heaters going in the garage all day long and still wasn't hot enough. My old man went spastic when he saw the heaters! :lol: :lol: :lol:
TCGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by TCGPX »

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I'll post anyway.

I've read about a lot of people having to angle grind of their old droplinks, there's a lot of posts from here and also the UK.

I did my rear ones lately and had no problems at all getting them undone. One thing I have noticed is that no-one mentions the hex sockets in the end of the droplink threads. This made it a cinch. Did you guys try this?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I have metioned this in a DIY before...

khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

yeah I did my rear ones after doing those ones and go them off easily also...but I didn't see no hex nut? If u mean the nut on the end...well of course what do u think we were trying to get off?

here are the old ones off the rear..maybe the fronts have them but I havn't done them yet.

From Ben's pic he has a 17mm ring spanner on the fronts to counter the rachet..Nacho has confirmed this is possible when he did his fronts.

Unless I'm missing something you couldn't do it on the backs..

Image[/img]
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

I can show you my hex nuts if you like! :wink:

Wait what are we talking about again? 8O