Sony Xplod Series

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

RasputinTheMadMonk
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Sony Xplod Series

Post by RasputinTheMadMonk »

Okay I know I haven't got my FTO (yet! soon...soon!) But I am trying to work out most of the mod details early. Yes I do want to build a FTO with power but my passion really lies in creating one sexy crusier...She'll have enough WHOA! to keep up the street cred but I want to create a visual & aural assault vehicle! :twisted:
I have been through the multitude of in-car multimedia makers more times than I care to imagine! But I always seem to come back to the Sony Xplod series...I have an excellent Xplod set-up in my Commodore (Argh! I know! Trust me...It's hulking days are numbered!) The Sony Xplod series has it all as far as Im concerned, excellent styling, fantastic quality as well as being reasonable well priced. I was just wondering what opinions the other members harbour towards Sony's Xplod series? If you love it tell me why...If you hate it, what tickles your aural 'special spot' better???
<P>*I Am Rasputin The Mad Monk! Would You Like To See What I Can Do With My Lilly White Hands?*</P>
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

Xplodes :evil: very bad sound quality when at high volume.

umm i'd say blaupunkt or pioneer speakers are the way to go :D
They may be more expensive but you get what you pay for, plus they look good.

Tim
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

no offence, but IMO Sony XPlod subs are not something that can be taken seriously... if you want some serious sound, the very least you can start with is Pioneer, but for the money you're better off investing it on the JL Audio or Kicker - any of those two will dish out better quality sound than the Pioneer, but then again that is a highly subjective matter so i won't elaborate further... it all depends on your listening style - do you like punchy bass (ie: techno/trance) or slightly 'looser' type (ie: r&b)?
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

I agree, pioneer is a great brand. Everything I have in my fto, head deck, subs, 6x9's, etc is all pioneer except for my amp which is a Schneider.

However, after reading the other posts, I am surprised that sony is not that good, I allways considered sony a pretty good brand.

I reckon go pioneer if you can. :D
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i guess you could say they're good in its own right, but as soon as you start comparing them to other marquees out there like Pioneer / Kicker etc, then the competition wins hands down.
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

ive found that sony make good everything else except car audio. But yeah, they make good tv's / dvd players etc.. just not car audio :P

Tim
RasputinTheMadMonk

Sony Xpold Unpopularity!

Post by RasputinTheMadMonk »

Wow...I am really suprised at the negative feedback concerning Sony's Xplod Series...As I said I have a large system in my Commodore consisting completely of Xplod components & I find it to be a fantastic system...No complaints at all...I have a mate with a modified 1996 Honda Civic who also has a full Xplod system & he agrees with me 100% a great system...I'll admit, Pioneer is a close second on my list, fantastic range & a wonderful reputation but I am still suprised at the negative response. Both my mate & I had our systems fitted by the same business though... Wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Well, seeing as Sony isn't a very popular brand hereabouts...What would others recommend? Apart from Sony Xplod & Pioneer I am also interested in Rockford & Fosgate as well as the new Fusioin series... Has anyone used these themselves & if so, what's your opinion?
<P>*I Am Rasputin The Mad Monk! Would You Like To See What I Can Do With My Lilly White Hands?*</P>
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

...did u mention Rockford Fosgate??

NOW YOU'RE TALKING! :twisted:
MintFTO
Apprentice

Post by MintFTO »

I have got Sony Xplod 6x9's, these came with my FTO, i have to say they are better that from what i've heard in most other cars with stock speakers, but then again what half decent aftermarket speakers arn't???

The rest of my system is MTX with a Pioneer head unit and although this isnt currently running properly (damn ignition noise) I would have to say that in general most of the SQ brand speakers such as Rockford Fosgate, MTX etc ive heard in other peoples cars wins hands down over the other regular Sony, Pioneer brands.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I'm getting a whole bunch of Alpine speakers early in Dec. I've heard that they're very good quality but a little pricey. But probably not as pricey as Rockford-Fosgate.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

Yeh, rockford fosgate products are a bit expensive but well worth the money!
kaveman
Grease Monkey

Post by kaveman »

i have a sony xplode deck but pioneer speaker(spilt front 6" and 3way 6" rear shelf, audiosonic amp(i think) and 10subs (can't remember brand)

i have not problems with the deck kicks out lots of power

if turned up the subs can't handle if i have the extra bass turn on

it all come down to what works for you
deadpool

Post by deadpool »

Well I fix everything Sony and the only problems we get with Sony Mobile Audio are customers blowing their units up either by overdriving or incorrect installation. (but my brother/best mate installed it etc). And regards to sound quality with amps you get what you pay for. :twisted:
mrdj1234
Grease Monkey

Post by mrdj1234 »

match it for what sounds and looks best for you.
In the scheme of things, car audio isn't ultra high quality, and when you factor in vehicle noise then it's pretty impossible to nit pick on quality.

splits or multi ways are the way to go for main speakers (and not 6x9s or 7x10s - they distort badly no matter what the brand and all lack or over emphasize certain frequencies more than round speakers, oval speakers just don't work) if you're after bang, then subs are a must. After that, more than 1/2 of a decent ICE installation is looks.

Personally, I have an xplode head unit, Pioneer 3 way 6" all round and 2x12" DNA subs off an Altec amp - i chose the xplode cos 1) my old sony just wouldn't die - i had to sell the car to get rid of it :P 2) cos it looked REALLY cool 3) it was on special

now all i gotta do is get time to do the boot install propperly ;)
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

the reason i don't like sony, is because i bought my sister a pair of 6 inch sony speakers for her lancer. They cost more than pioneer and alpine, so i thought they should be good. They have been the biggest pain in the neck ever since. I have spent a lot of time and money adjusting them and even put caps in them (they played low bass notes, when they weren't suppose to). She has all pioneer (front speakers and a 10 inch sub) including the top of the range pioneer deck and they have no probs aswell.

I would never buy anymore Sony car audio products ever again. I have all Pioneer and Alpine.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

i had a pioneer sub running off a pioneer amp.

the amp got taken away from me

so i replaced it with a sony xplod amp...

so comparing with xplod and pioneer... i think pioneer sounds better, the sub sounded better and sounded like it had power...
but now the xplod amp doesnt even sound like its giving the sub any power at all....
YFT-08U
Apprentice

Post by YFT-08U »

I would have to say Infinity Kappa or Perfect series speakers running from a rockford amp sounds too sweet

Jc
<P>[url=http://www.hotcarchicks.com][img]http://www.hotcarchicks.com/images/hotcarchicksBanner2.gif[/img][/url]</P>
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

geez, all this bad talk about Sony... hmmm.... i guess im not the only one that dislikes the brand :D
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Give it a rest FTOluv, we all understand that you are biased against Sony and it doesn't meet your requirements, but for many people it does meet their requirements and they are happy with it.

I personally do not own any Sony equipment and am not trying to push Sony, rather I believe information should be unbiased and products should be considered on their individual merits. All brands will make some sh*t product, but just because one product is bad doesn't mean everything the company makes is. :roll:
MIVEC is My Friend :D
NimZ
Apprentice

Post by NimZ »

I have a sony xplode headunit, does the job for me even looks pretty.
:roll: