Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mr-charisma
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Joe & Rik's too expensive?

Post by mr-charisma »

Hey,

I'm overdue for my 100k service and I've been calling around for prices to get the work done...

Anyway, Joe & Rik were one of the main referrals I found on the forums, although they wanted to charge me $1500 in total including fixing Oil leaks, Tappets and seals (which I don't have any problems with those) & they still wanted to charge $800 - $900 without those extra things

I think thats a bit overboard & they've probably seen me coming when I mentioned that it was my 100k Major service & an FTO, but I was keen on hearing from other members as to whether they think its a fair price, and if anyone knows another mechanic who can do it cheaper? And their contact details etc

Basically I will be doing all the basic stuff, like changing fluids and spark plugs at home, and will be going to a mech for the more technical stuff like timing belt etc
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

i still stand by what i said in another post, it's all the same, any decent mechanic can do it.

although i do see the advantages of someone that knows ftos properly doing it, but if u dont want them to do it, then just find someone big (i.e kmart) to do it, cos if they screw up anything or dont do anything, if u complain and treaten them a little bit, they'll fix the problem up promto cos they dont want a big PR disaster (thats what mum did with my old work horse - 85 corona when they did an engine rebuild and f*cked it up)
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

800-900 for a major service is a good price. Timing belt is an arse to replace as is the water pump (which is done in a 100k service.) And if they are gonna do tappets as well, then I dont see what the problem is!
Hobbsie
Grease Monkey

Post by Hobbsie »

timing belt alone costs $400 for parts n labor at rik n joes, which is normal or cheaper than normal. the other $400 covers new water pump, full fluids change, and sometimes new seals etc. they also give you a 10% discount if you say youre a member of fto club australia. i've seen other places charge $1200 plus for what i just mentioned so yeah rik n joes are you rbest bet. if you dont want to pay that much youll jus have to do it yourself :P
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Yeah man i paid like 600 for my service but didnt get water pump done or tappets ps where do i get a water pump from i can install it myself.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Hobbsie
Grease Monkey

Post by Hobbsie »

I8AFRE wrote:Yeah man i paid like 600 for my service but didnt get water pump done or tappets ps where do i get a water pump from i can install it myself.
rik n joes will sell you parts too hehe

or you can call up some mitsu dealer
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

sweet cheers bro
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

I hear that seals and water pump is replaced on the 100k service, is that just because they are leaking or is that apart of the service, I don't replace those things unless they are leaking.
Hobbsie
Grease Monkey

Post by Hobbsie »

bigpitty1 wrote:I hear that seals and water pump is replaced on the 100k service, is that just because they are leaking or is that apart of the service, I don't replace those things unless they are leaking.
its a prevention thing, though they are usually getting quite worn by 100k.

do you wait until your timing belt snaps to replace it? :P