GPX or GP version R?

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

JahjaMan
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

GPX or GP version R?

Post by JahjaMan »

hi all

havent got mine yet, still looking around the classifieds, but just wondering
which one would be better.

the main difference i noted that the Version R had were the front and rear struts, LSD, manual air con, discharge headlights and only one airbag

GPX has projector headlights, climate control and two airbags, but none of the performance bits.

so which one would you all recommend?
mrx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by mrx »

Well, a GPX may have one, two or no airbags for starters.

But if you have an option, get the GPvR. Cause, they may wel have had a more difficult life than many GPX's.
Liquidity
Grease Monkey

Post by Liquidity »

Depends on how much you want to do to your car as well.
If your going all out, putting in your own lsd, and suspension, may as well get the GPX is my thinking at the moment.

that said, the factory mitsu lsd is apparently helical, which is quite driveable, and very strong. Less maintenance than some aftermarket units like the clutch KAAZ types (i think its kaaz that are the clutch units).

Personally, i want a GPvR mostly because i'm a bit of a wanker.
I just like having the best "model" when i'm buying a vehicle. That, and i may just be happy with the factory sports setup :P
JahjaMan
Apprentice

Post by JahjaMan »

mrx wrote: But if you have an option, get the GPvR. Cause, they may wel have had a more difficult life than many GPX's.
uhh, if they have a more difficult life, wouldn't that count AGAINST them?
im not sure what your trying to say there..

well, when im looking around, they're all basically the same price 18-20k, regardless of whether its GPX or GP ver R.

the only thing that sh*ts me is the manual air con, and single air bag on the GP ver R.
but i love the coloured seats.

How hard is it to get a pair of Sparco seats in there?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Liquidity wrote:Personally, i want a GPvR mostly because i'm a bit of a wanker.
I just like having the best "model" when i'm buying a vehicle. That, and i may just be happy with the factory sports setup :P
If you want the "Best Model" then u better of getting the Limited edition that celebrated FTO was Japan car of the year 94 & 95, its cross between GPX and GPvR.

There is another Limited model called Nakaya Tune, I believe there is only one in Aus.
JahjaMan wrote:How hard is it to get a pair of Sparco seats in there?
Sparco seats are easy to get, its the proper Sparco rails for FTO are hard are to find. You can always chop your original FTO rail to suit, but then it won't be road worthy.

In my old FTO, I imported a pair of reclineable Sparco seats with proper Sparco rails from Japan.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
JahjaMan
Apprentice

Post by JahjaMan »

FTO338 wrote:
JahjaMan wrote:How hard is it to get a pair of Sparco seats in there?
In my old FTO, I imported a pair of reclineable Sparco seats with proper Sparco rails from Japan.
hmm. seems i should try the little japanese 'performance' store around the corner lol.

and if i got the gpx and i wanted rear struts, would there already be a hole in the boot? or would i need to cut one?

but.. since they're the same prices.. which one should i go for? taking into account those plus and minuses i posted
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

You have to cut a hole or a line on the carpet to install a rear strut bar.

FTO was the best bargain for a performance/handling sports car at the time i purchase it and of course the best looking too. :wink: I don't regret getting it. Just regret spending so much money on modifing it. It a lesson that most of us will never learn ahahah thats including myself. :lol:

There are members gave up on modifing it after a while and move on to other cars, as aftermarkets parts for FTO are expensive and hard to find. So its really depends on what are you looking for on your next car.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
JahjaMan
Apprentice

Post by JahjaMan »

lol it'll be my first car

yea, its crazy how cheap it is now..

since u cant really mod it that far performance wise, i'd be looking at aesthetics (body, lights blablabla)

i reckon 8 seconds to 100km/h is good enough?

but i also wanted to get my track licence.. and i dont know if this car will cut it
maybe in the next few years ill save up enough to get an evo 5/6
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well there are few people who goes on track regularly and they done pretty well too, have a look at Richard H's website.

http://www.ftowa.com/html/motorsport/motorsport.html

His also a member here too.

BTW i've seen a few EVO 5/6 at mid 20k these days. :wink:
Liquidity
Grease Monkey

Post by Liquidity »

hang on, just to clarify. you dont mean "cut a hole in metal" to install a strut bar, right? Surely its just the regular rear strut top mounts in an fto?

I hope you mean you just have to cut the carpet/boot lining...right?
Wheres the strut brace on the gpvr, is it straight across the boot or "moulded" so as not to intrude?

Hmm. So gpvr's only came with drivers side airbag? hmm...that might actually put me off one...maybe. Then again, airbags arent exactly "the sh*t" as far as safety.
JahjaMan
Apprentice

Post by JahjaMan »

hmmm that sounds pretty cool

cant get over the fto looks though

10 years old, and still pretty to the eyes

yea i saw a evo 6 that had done 60k for 29000

i'd stil have to wait a few years, both to save up and to get full licence

stupid RTA

its those fkers that think they're so cool dragging on the road without experience that restricts other p platers

anyway, Richard H and the other guys, they didnt seem to have modified their cars that much eh?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Liquidity wrote:hang on, just to clarify. you dont mean "cut a hole in metal" to install a strut bar, right? Surely its just the regular rear strut top mounts in an fto?
FTO338 wrote:You have to cut a hole or a line on the carpet to install a rear strut bar
I never mention anything about cutting metal. Anyway thats what i did when i installed mine and so are everyone else who done it. Unless you remove the carpet completely.
Hobbsie
Grease Monkey

Post by Hobbsie »

just buy a GPX off private sale and get it checked out thouroughly to make sure its in good nick. i've seen plenty of manual GPXs that look to be good condition go for 12-13 grand.. dunno where you are getting 18-20 from. GPvR seems is a little more unique/rare and therefore pricier but end of the day they are essentially the same car.

oh and if u want colorful seats, you don't need to spend a few grand buying genuine sparcos.. you can buy leatherette seat trim for FTO for around $400. with this you'll have leather looking bucket seats a colour scheme of your choice. talk to mxysxy for mor einfo
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Yeah i agree with the leatherette is the way to go. I got a set for my backseats. I only did the Sparco bucket seats because I want to do something different. And I got them before the first leatherette GB.

If anyone ask me will i do the Sparco seats again. I have to say NO.
JahjaMan
Apprentice

Post by JahjaMan »

the 18-20k prices are for pretty low km models (around 50 000km)
and they're from dealers who've just imported them, so they might be more than expected.

it's just a matter of whether i'd be enough to make the changes (struts, LSD, sports suspensions). anyone got any idea of how much this is will cost? as well as exhaust and intake systems?

and i havent got the first clue as to where to find places that will be able to stock/import body kits (DC, Creative)

Anyone live in Sydney that could help me?
JOeJOe
Oldtimer

Post by JOeJOe »

If you're looking for LSD, only the limited edition and the GPvR come's standard with it.

As for body kits, the genuine stuff you need to go rob a bank in order to pay for it. The other place is Carmate or DMD in QLD. It would be hard to find yourself a creative kit though.

Get yourself a limited edition, it's girly coz it's yellow but it's a collectible.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Nah just a get a GR for like 10k spend the other 8-9k on doing it up and u will have one hell of a head turner baby. thats what i did lol
Last edited by I8A4RE on Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
dstocks
National Vice President

GPX

Post by dstocks »

I believe you are better off starting with a GPX. If you want all the bells and whistles, you are better off buying a GPX and sticking strut bars on and a LSD. Much harder to splice the wiring of a GPvR to get climate control etc. GPvR is not top of the line, neither is a GPX, think more of the GPX as luxury and the GPvR as sport. Neither has it all. Having said that it is easier (in my opinion) to add all the GPvR components to a GPX than the GPX components to a GPvR.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    JahjaMan
    Apprentice

Re: GPX

Post by JahjaMan »

dstocks wrote:I believe you are better off starting with a GPX. If you want all the bells and whistles, you are better off buying a GPX and sticking strut bars on and a LSD. Much harder to splice the wiring of a GPvR to get climate control etc. GPvR is not top of the line, neither is a GPX, think more of the GPX as luxury and the GPvR as sport. Neither has it all. Having said that it is easier (in my opinion) to add all the GPvR components to a GPX than the GPX components to a GPvR.
    i briefly searched for LSD's and saw one for 1200?? lol
    well.. the ones im looking at (both GPX and GPvR) are roughly the same price..
    so, if i get a GPX and install everything (struts, suspension, LSD) thats gonna cost me quite a bit over the GPvR

im a fan of mitsu's climate control (verada) but i think i could live without it.
    im just concerned about having only driver's side airbag.

oh, and also, if i wanted to source more power. would transplanting a turbo4 be the most cost effective option?
    Liquidity
    Grease Monkey

Re: GPX

Post by Liquidity »

dstocks wrote:I believe you are better off starting with a GPX. If you want all the bells and whistles, you are better off buying a GPX and sticking strut bars on and a LSD. Much harder to splice the wiring of a GPvR to get climate control etc. GPvR is not top of the line, neither is a GPX, think more of the GPX as luxury and the GPvR as sport. Neither has it all. Having said that it is easier (in my opinion) to add all the GPvR components to a GPX than the GPX components to a GPvR.

Depends on your proficiencies. As i've said, i can easily splice in the climate control because i'm a bit of an "electrical" head...but f**k me if i know how to dissasemble a gearbox and install and lsd.