VIN number

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Speed
jedwabna poszewka promocja

VIN number

Post by Speed »

Hey guys,

First, I'm new at this forum, and I must say that it rocks! I've been a FTO owner for quite a while now, and know how frustrating it can be to find any info (other than the basics) on the net, which is exactly why this site should be recommended to any FTO-enthusiast!

And don't worry, despite being new, I won't be asking any questions regarding converting my car to AWD, or putting a turbo on it... ;)

Anyway, I was hoping you could help me out with something. I'm planning to move abroad, and I want to take my '96 FTO GR with me. The "application for importation of a second hand or used vehicle" requires a VIN number to be filled in. I've looked at all the "common locations of the vehicle identification number" (firewall, left hand inner wheel arch, steering column, radiator support bracket, dash by windshield, drivers door or post or passenger side, machined pad on front of engine) but couldn't find anything other than the engine number and the chassis number (which also need to be filled in). To make matters worse, the used car dealer where I bought the car is out of business, so I won't be able to retrieve it through them... Am I looking at the wrong locations to find my VIN number? Or is there any other way I could retrieve it?
Thanx in advance...

Speed
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Your Rego sticker should have those details. It should also be on your compliance plate (usually green) and manufacture plate (usually silver).
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
dstocks
National Vice President

Ahhh

Post by dstocks »

Ahhh, but look at his location (Carribean). Those details are not necessarily true in this case.....
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Hobbsie
    Grease Monkey

Post by Hobbsie »

arent chassis number and VIN number the same?
    FTO338
    Oldtimer

Re: Ahhh

Post by FTO338 »

dstocks wrote:Ahhh, but look at his location (Carribean). Those details are not necessarily true in this case.....
    eheheh i just thought he put that up because he want a holiday or something along the line.
    DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
    Speed

Post by Speed »

Hobbsie wrote:arent chassis number and VIN number the same?
    At first I thought the same thing, Hobbsie. Turns out that VIN numbers consist of 17 characters that do not include the letters I, O or Q, and therefore differ from chassis codes (DE3A-******* = 11 characters).
    Speed

Post by Speed »

FTO338 wrote:Your Rego sticker should have those details. It should also be on your compliance plate (usually green) and manufacture plate (usually silver).
    The problem is that over here VIN numbers aren't required for importing, registering or insuring a car. The chassis code (which is stamped on the firewall, as well as on the machined pad found in the same area) is all that is needed, and is therefore only code one will find on any documents/stickers regarding the car...
    If the VIN number can also be found on the "compliance plate" and "manufacture plate", where are these plates located on the car? Perhaps I overlooked them... :?:
    FTO338
    Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Sorry mate like dstock said i might over look that you could be from the Caribbean, so are you really from the Caribbean? If so, then i don't know if you would have a compliance plate.

But the manufacture plate would be on the firewall, unless someone had removed it.
    Speed

Post by Speed »

FTO338 wrote:Sorry mate like dstock said i might over look that you could be from the Caribbean, so are you really from the Caribbean? If so, then i don't know if you would have a compliance plate.

But the manufacture plate would be on the firewall, unless someone had removed it.
    Well, we don't have compliance plates over here, but the manufacture plate is still on the firewall and undamaged. However, it only displays the following information: model, chassis no. (which is also stamped into the firewall right next to the manufacturer plate), engine (with "ext."), transaxle and color ("int." & "opt."). Apart from that, there's a long line of Japanese characters at the bottom... I think it's rather odd that something as (apparently) important as the VIN number isn't etched into it as well... I also own a Toyota 4x4, and also checked its' manfacturer plate; it displays the same info, but no VIN number... Both cars were directly imported from Japan by different used car dealerships; perhaps that has something to do with it?

Well, I guess the only thing left for me to do, is see if I'll be able to export my car by supplying the chassis no., which - as far as I know - should be just as unique as the VIN number... Otherwise it'll just have to stay here, only to be driven when I'm back for vacation.... :(

Thanx for your help, FTO338. And by the way, yes, I do really live in the Caribbean. Suriname (a small country in the northern part of South America) to be exact. The time difference is about 12 hours, but you probably already figured that out by looking at the times at which I submitted my posts... I can imagine it to be a bit hard to believe to have someone as far away as this to be posting on this forum. But just think of it this way: the enthusiasm for FTO's might be even more widespread than most of us might realize... The same goes for this forum... ;)
    BorepYano
    Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

lol, the time u submit your post dont mean much, no one sleeps on this forum... so it seems lol.
    well, in case no one said it before (i was too lazy to read all the posts), welcome to the club (aka: WTTC)
    kiz wrote:
    silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
    There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
    I8A4RE
    QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

lol, the time u submit your post dont mean much, no one sleeps on this forum... so it seems lol.
    well, in case no one said it before (i was too lazy to read all the posts), welcome to the club (aka: WTTC)
    lol yeah what he said
    CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
    Supplanter
    Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Speed wrote:Thanx for your help, FTO338. And by the way, yes, I do really live in the Caribbean. Suriname (a small country in the northern part of South America) to be exact. The time difference is about 12 hours, but you probably already figured that out by looking at the times at which I submitted my posts... I can imagine it to be a bit hard to believe to have someone as far away as this to be posting on this forum. But just think of it this way: the enthusiasm for FTO's might be even more widespread than most of us might realize... The same goes for this forum... ;)
    We already have a member from Barbados, and some UK regulars too :wink:
    LED ALL the things.