stop the rattles!!!

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

GPXXX
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

stop the rattles!!!

Post by GPXXX »

ok, i've had it with the rear qtr panels rattling all the time when i give my subs a workout... it's bloody annoying and i need a quick simple fix for it.

the 6x9 speaker housing on the rear parcel shelf is also vibrating and it has gotten to the point where it's shitting me to tears... (not really, but hey you get my point right)

Any opinions out there on how to resolve this issue???
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

I know exactly what you mean, the rattling in my fto is begining to drive me crazy to. I checked it out the other day and I found that if I sit in the back seat with the music turned up and I push against the interier panel the rattling cuts down dramatically. My guess is somthing in there needs to be tied or stuck down. Im probably take off the panel and have a look next weekend.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

yeh, either that or i might have to shove as much foam or carpet underlay as i can behind the plastic panels...

or bow to the pressure and retrim the interior!
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

If you want to do it properly, buy sound deadener and stick it on all your panels that are vibrating. However the stuff is not cheap.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Brendan, what did you do to stop the interior rear qtr panels on your car from rattling?

your system is pumping really good tunes out of it so surely you must have come across similar problems with it at some stage....
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

EyezOnMei on this site has previously posted a similar topic and suggested using Flashtac Weatherproofing tape that you can buy from any hardware/plumbing store.
EyesOnMei

Rear armrests? FTOs have rear armrests now!?!?! Hmm, I'll assume your talking bout the rear quarter panels...
Well, just take them off. Goto bunnings, buy some FLASHTAC (roofing tape) and some grease remover from super cheap.
Clean the plastic panels (the inside part which doesn't show when u put it back on) and then apply flashtac. If u willing, I'd do the metal part behing the panels as well as but I don't think that's too necessary, its mainly the doors that need the service holes filled etc.
Then, final touch, once again from super-cheap get the foam tape and then put it round the edges before placing it back in. This way its secure and won't vibrate etc...
But I suggest you do the flastac business to your rear parcel shelf as well. Do these things and your set to go =P
My problem is road/engine noise. There's so much clarity & bass lost because of those two things, and I don't like to turn music up too much. Things sound sooo awesome at idle.
But yeah, ratttles are soooo annoying!!! I'm glad mine are gone!!!
I'm thinking of doing this myself actually. Would it be easier to do it BEFORE or AFTER I get the speakers installed, or does it make no difference in terms of difficulty?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i'd like to know how to actually take those damn rear qtr panels off...
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

Mikey, I haven't sound deadened my car at all. I did find that my original Parcel Shelf, was rattling a lot, so I made a brand new shelf, and mounted the shelf all on sponges.

I also figured that, if you listen to your music loud enough, you won't hear the rattles because the music overrides the noise of the rattles :)
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

DZYRME wrote:I also figured that, if you listen to your music loud enough, you won't hear the rattles because the music overrides the noise of the rattles :)
:P Hehe, thats true but you dont ALLWAYS want your music blaring (ie - when you get close to home late at night).
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

GPXXX wrote:i'd like to know how to actually take those damn rear qtr panels off...
Dude, I'm e-mailing you a special PDF file that explains how to take them off. It's very good and I went halfway through doing it myself & then changed my mind and put it back together again :oops:

If anyone else wants a copy, just ask. I don't really want to host the file cos of copyright restrictions :evil:
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

Sweet rxboy, send me a copy please. :P
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

only for the rear parcel shelf and not for the door panels hey?
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Deeps wrote:only for the rear parcel shelf and not for the door panels hey?
This file is for removing the rear parcel shelf and the rear quarter panels. Unfortunately I have nothing about the doors themselves other than a guide on how to replace the front speakers & how to fit cables through the door grommet.
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

Hello rxboy,

Just wondering if you still have a copy of the instructions on how to remove the rear qrt panels.

Could you send me one if you still do have them..

Thank you,
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

No worries. Thanx for sending the file rxboy. :)
andy
Apprentice

Post by andy »

I bought a roll of that Flashtac weather proofing, it is like a thick tar mounted on aluminium tape. I used it on the rear shelf, quarter panels and the upper panels in the back to stiffen up any flimsy areas. I've now got no rattles in the back at all. The limiting factor is now my system and not the annoying buzzing!

I also used a roll of draught insulation - the 1 cm wide sticky backed foam stuff, to stop the panel rubbing / vibrating against the body.

I would recommend it to anyone. $35 and two hours well spent.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

andy wrote:I bought a roll of that Flashtac weather proofing.....
I also used a roll of draught insulation...
How much did you need of each? I've seen the Flashtac weatherproofing tape come in 4 sizes:
48mmx3m
72mmx3m
48mmx10m
72mmx10m

I just want to do the parcel shelf and rear quarter panels. How much of this tape would I actually need? And what length of the self-adhesive foam strips do you recommend?

Sorry about all the questions Andy, I just don't want to buy too much of that stuff and waste money.

Would you recommend using one of those wash-off grease removers (like they use on the engine bay) on the surface of the panels before applying the tape?
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

fto12345 wrote:Hello rxboy,

Just wondering if you still have a copy of the instructions on how to remove the rear qrt panels.

Could you send me one if you still do have them..

Thank you,
What's your email address?
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

OK, anyone who still wants this file can download it from the site I originally got it from:

http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/pdf/rear_speakers.pdf

Stephen will be linking to this and other related files in the near future.
Deeps
Grease Monkey

Post by Deeps »

YES!!!! Finally got rid of those rattles. I took the panel off on the weekend and I discovered that a wire was not stuck down properly, the tape around it had come off. I think it is the internal antenna. Anyway, I just stuck it down and the rattles are now gone. It's heaps simple to take it off as well, there are just two screws and the rest of it is just in by clips. Once the screws are out, you just pull the panel off slowly making sure you dont break/bend the clips.