Speed limit on stock ECU?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Shane001
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Shane001 »

Just got an email back from the previous owner, never had a problem with it at EC so it looks like there is something fitted. Let's hope it's a piggy back :)

Where's the most likely place for this to be installed, near the ECU?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Had a quick look this afternoon, there are 3 wires that appear to have been cut on the ECU but are joined back together (bullet connectors). I can't see anything that looks like it's been added... Guess I'll find out in a few weeks.
mosti
Mechanic

Post by mosti »

Quite certain there's a couple of wires you cut on the ECU which eliminates the limiter.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

well turns out my car is still speed limited, hit it a few times at the creek yesterday...

mosti, do u know what wires these might be?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Shane, found this on FTOOC.

They go on about kph to mph conversions, but I think the wire in question they cut, is the one you're looking for..
Yes......
You dont need any more stuff to delimit, just the know how.

1. Remove LH side kick plate by gently prising upwards
2. Undo passenger LH lower plate by unscrewing the capped bolt at the front then from the middle of the plastic section gently prise from the bottom and slide back (this is the bit that the Hoops are on).
3. Locate the Engine ECU and the required connector, it is the lower forward most connector. Remove the connector carefully and locate a yellow and white wire (mine also had a silver spot on it) and it is the 5th pin of the connector with no wire above. Note: There is another yellow and white wire on the lower connector nearest the door it is not this one!!!
4. Drop the steering wheel to its lowest position.
5. Remove the Speedo console surround by undoing the two securing screws.
6. Remove the four retaining screws and pull out the speedometer console completely and locate the black box converter on the rear of the Speedo. There is a circuit track that comes in to the Speedo that is cut and each side of the cut there is a wire going to the black box. The wire coming from the main connector before the cut is in kmh feed from the gearbox sensor and the wire after the cut, nearest the Speedo center screw, is the converted signal from the black box in mph.
7. The kmh feed wire is the one we need to interrupt to the engine ECU and feed it from the mph signal - (so unless your car can do 180mph+ the engine ECU thinks you are going a lot slower). It is important to interrupt the wire only at the engine ECU and not at the speedometer end or the feed to the INVECS ECU and gear change points are going to get screwed.
8. Feed a length of wire across the floor of the car behind the centre console and up into the Speedo recess hole.
9. Solder this wire to the mph feed - (blue wire from the black box on mine), but it is the circuit track running from the SP+ post. If you don?t have a soldering iron or don?t feel confident using one simply unscrew the SP+ screw and make a loop and wrap around the screw before tightening.
10. One end done.
11. Re-assemble the Speedo console by reversing 6,5 & 4.Not forgetting to lock the steering column.
12. Now be brave - at the engine ECU cut the yellow and white wire (found in step 3) as far away from the connector as possible but leaving at least 20mm from the loom - just in case it all goes wrong and you want to reconnect it. Tape off the wire end coming from the wiring loom and strip about 5mm of insulation from the connector wire end. Now crimp or use your choc bloc to connect your mph wire coming from the back of the Speedo black box to the connector end wire. Re-insert the connector.
13. Reverse steps 1 & 2 and tuck the wire away behind the floor carpet.
millsy
Grease Monkey

Post by millsy »

limits at 194kph, confirmed, i live on a road with "no limit", i hit that nearly daily, sh*t myself every time it kicks in, didnt realise it cuts the acceleration, every time i think i blew my engine or sumthing.. but its confirmed at that speed by my tomtom and speedo.... but dont take my word for it, coz thats no fun :)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

lol, do you live on the back straight of Eastern Creek then?
millsy
Grease Monkey

Post by millsy »

i dont know, going too fast to make out the blurry signs :)
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Well going by my PerformanceBox mine kicks in at 191kph lol!
I expect there is variance due to non stock wheels and tyres though, so it could be closer to 180 with stock wheels.

Ben I'll give that a try at my next EC practice day (hopefully in about 3 weeks) and report back, thanks for the info :thumright:
mosti
Mechanic

Post by mosti »

There is really no need in going past 180kmh anyway haha.
But it may come in handy one day :twisted:
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

mosti wrote:There is really no need in going past 180kmh anyway haha.
there is the need to go past 180 on the track :twisted:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Found out last night....... I definitly dont have a speed limiter no more.

Anyone got a 300kph speedo?
mosti
Mechanic

Post by mosti »

aza013 wrote:
mosti wrote:There is really no need in going past 180kmh anyway haha.
there is the need to go past 180 on the track :twisted:
Yes that is true :oops:
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

I8A4RE wrote:Found out last night....... I definitly dont have a speed limiter no more.

Yip had to around 230 before (private roads in country in NZ) still had some more go to I reckon but was slow to move from there
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

vipfto wrote:
I8A4RE wrote:Found out last night....... I definitly dont have a speed limiter no more.

Yip had to around 230 before (private roads in country in NZ) still had some more go to I reckon but was slow to move from there
if you get a speedo that gives you a 260-270kph reading that would be all you need.
I have topped my car out at 250kph on a dyno.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

I'm hoping for around 230 down Conrod at Easter 8)
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

so if i cut the yellow and white wire near on the ECU i wont have a limiter anymore?
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

I have a limiter on mine as well @ 180kmh

Its a shame becuase it looked like power figuers were still rising when the limited kicked in on the dyno, might of got a little more than the 112kw atw.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
nathan
Grease Monkey

Post by nathan »

millsy wrote:limits at 194kph, confirmed, i live on a road with "no limit", i hit that nearly daily, sh*t myself every time it kicks in, didnt realise it cuts the acceleration, every time i think i blew my engine or sumthing.. but its confirmed at that speed by my tomtom and speedo.... but dont take my word for it, coz thats no fun :)

8O 8O 8O 8O

dear god where do you live ... wanna room mate? :cheers:
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

koolio1234 wrote:I have a limiter on mine as well @ 180kmh

Its a shame becuase it looked like power figuers were still rising when the limited kicked in on the dyno, might of got a little more than the 112kw atw.
you are right you would have got about another 5+kws with out the limiter.