Speed limit on stock ECU?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Speed limit on stock ECU?

Post by kid_dynamite »

As above - does the FTO have a 180km limiter on the standard ECU?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

As far as i know, yes. I guess the only way to find out is either on a private road or a dyno.

I took my FTO to 192kmph on a dyno before, but I've got a RSM which you already know it delimit the Rev and Speed.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Blasphemy
Grease Monkey

Post by Blasphemy »

Yes, the stock ECU is limited to 180. Been there, done that.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Is that the same for all stock Japanese cars in the market?
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
JOeJOe
Oldtimer

Post by JOeJOe »

Nacho wrote:Is that the same for all stock Japanese cars in the market?
I beleive so, the limit on the evo's are 180 also
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

its 180 limited but it's more like 195 on stock.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

i think all cars made here and imported to here after 1990ish have that (i'm only speaking from what i heard and done :oops: so dont take my word)

and yes it is 180 on the FTOs. :oops:
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

really? i have taken mine past 180 before... looked around the 195 mark
JOeJOe
Oldtimer

Post by JOeJOe »

The stock speedometer only goes up to 180km so i'm not sure how you know you went above that speed.

Unless you changed the speedometer to one that go past 180km or have an external reading device.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

suppose when it goes past the 180 mark on the speedo, u can guess-timate the speed lol
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

JOeJOe wrote:The stock speedometer only goes up to 180km so i'm not sure how you know you went above that speed.

Unless you changed the speedometer to one that go past 180km or have an external reading device.
Or you can get products like Apexi RSM which tell you the speed and cuts off rev/speed limit.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
TCGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by TCGPX »

I agree with Samson. Been past 180 couple of times :D. Needle doesn't stop at 180. I thought it must be 200 kph speed limited and I was coming up just short till I found this thread.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

i think it's meant to but gives you a little room.

this has little relevents but i know the camry sportivos (at least the auto 4 cylinder version) not only have the ECU been limited to 180, it seems that they made the gear ratio to only reach just over 180 as well.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

well i know for a fact that not all jap cars are speed limited to 180. in nz my gti pulsar went way past 180 all my mates skylines were doin 200 easy with only mods of exhaust and cia. my mates supercharged levin destroyed 200, my x gf had a gt pulsar (1.8l non turbo) and that did round 205 (speedo only goes to 180 but u can still feel it pulling away) maybe its an australian compliance thing, i dont know the only car i heard of with a speed limiter was the toyota corola FXGT i dont know if they r very common in australia ive only seen 1 and that was the old 87 model
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Apart from stating the obvious in that most hoons in Jap cars have uber big bling wheels on that will throw the speedo reading out (to read higher than they should due to diametre increase) - the speed limiting is electronic yes - but that limiting is done by the computer cutting fuel at that speed. So in essence a fuel cut will alway be less accurate than a spark cut. Cars that have a spark cut system will alway haul up right on 180, fuel cuts can see it drift over that speed with the cars momentum.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

yeah but u can definitly feel when something hasnt got the same accelaration. fuel cut may see your car countinue to rise for a few seconds but not continuely going up. when your driving u dont need to look at the speedo to tell if your accelerating or staying at the same speed
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Bennoz wrote:Apart from stating the obvious in that most hoons in Jap cars have uber big bling wheels on that will throw the speedo reading out (to read higher than they should due to diametre increase) - the speed limiting is electronic yes - but that limiting is done by the computer cutting fuel at that speed. So in essence a fuel cut will alway be less accurate than a spark cut. Cars that have a spark cut system will alway haul up right on 180, fuel cuts can see it drift over that speed with the cars momentum.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but is this really the case? A fuel cut will lead to leaning out which leads to detonation which leads to engine failure! Surely a manufacture wouldn't be this stupid? Or am I missing something?

I had the FTO hitting 185km/h at OP on Monday with no sign of cutting out (GPS confirmed speed). I'll be taking it to EC in a couple of weeks where I expect to do over 200 but am now very concerned that I may end up doing an engine?!
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Shane001 wrote:
Bennoz wrote:Apart from stating the obvious in that most hoons in Jap cars have uber big bling wheels on that will throw the speedo reading out (to read higher than they should due to diametre increase) - the speed limiting is electronic yes - but that limiting is done by the computer cutting fuel at that speed. So in essence a fuel cut will alway be less accurate than a spark cut. Cars that have a spark cut system will alway haul up right on 180, fuel cuts can see it drift over that speed with the cars momentum.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but is this really the case? A fuel cut will lead to leaning out which leads to detonation which leads to engine failure! Surely a manufacture wouldn't be this stupid? Or am I missing something?

I had the FTO hitting 185km/h at OP on Monday with no sign of cutting out (GPS confirmed speed). I'll be taking it to EC in a couple of weeks where I expect to do over 200 but am now very concerned that I may end up doing an engine?!
Im sure that the manufacturer has taken precautions to ensure your engine wont blow. In your case, if you have hit 185km/h then its likely you have a piggy back ecu that has removed the speed limiter, although the cutoff is 180 and as bennoz suggested you may have only drifted over 180 after the fuel cut and not known about it.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

I'm running non standard wheels so the speedo is probably out by a few kms. 185 is from the GPS data. I wasn't watching the speedo at that speed with turn one coming up fast lol.

I've got work to do on it this weekend so I'll see if I can find any 'additional' electronics.

Does anyone know if I cut the wire from the gearbox if this will remove the limiter? Or cause any other problems with the ECU? I spent a couple of hours researching it on Google last night but couldn't find a definitive answer. I'm not worried about the speedo not working, this will probably come out soon anyway since it only goes to 180.

Another quick option is the mph conversion mod... Anyone done this?
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

I have a mivec controller in my car and it cuts out the limiter, also the Haltech will do the same.
When we had it on the dyno we did a test to see the top speed of the car it topped out at aprox 248kph