Speed limit on stock ECU?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Shane001
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Shane001 »

Hmmm, don't know if I wanna try cutting that wire after all, was reading on another forum (different car but...) someone did this and when it got to the limiter speed the ecu tripped out and went into limp home mode, don't want to risk this happening a full tilt into turn 1 at EC lol. What do you reckon guys?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Shane001 wrote:Hmmm, don't know if I wanna try cutting that wire after all, was reading on another forum (different car but...) someone did this and when it got to the limiter speed the ecu tripped out and went into limp home mode, don't want to risk this happening a full tilt into turn 1 at EC lol. What do you reckon guys?
get a piggy back +10kws and delimited. Of course i dont know what your restrictions are though
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

I8A4RE wrote: get a piggy back +10kws and delimited. Of course i dont know what your restrictions are though
Yeah that's coming this week :D

won't be in by Sat though :(
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

havent read all this but had to threw my 2cents in basicly yes you can cut wires but you will need to run relays and resistors ect ect to fool the ecu i had read about it when i was looking at buying a honda crb as they are limmited unless you are a wiz with circurts i wouldnt attempt it just buy the picky back one or upgrade as for it being restricked to 180 i dont think when they build the car they wanted you to drive it past 180 most ive taken my car to is 150 down karaong hill :)
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

bduffman wrote:as for it being restricked to 180 i dont think when they build the car they wanted you to drive it past 180 most ive taken my car to is 150 down karaong hill :)
Well bugger them if it doesn't hit at least 230 down conrod I'm selling it :twisted: lol!
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

bduffman wrote:havent read all this but had to threw my 2cents in basicly yes you can cut wires but you will need to run relays and resistors ect ect to fool the ecu i had read about it when i was looking at buying a honda crb as they are limmited unless you are a wiz with circurts i wouldnt attempt it just buy the picky back one or upgrade as for it being restricked to 180 i dont think when they build the car they wanted you to drive it past 180 most ive taken my car to is 150 down karaong hill :)
The speed limiter is not there because the factory wanted to limit the speed.

It is government legislation.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

I8A4RE wrote:
bduffman wrote:havent read all this but had to threw my 2cents in basicly yes you can cut wires but you will need to run relays and resistors ect ect to fool the ecu i had read about it when i was looking at buying a honda crb as they are limmited unless you are a wiz with circurts i wouldnt attempt it just buy the picky back one or upgrade as for it being restricked to 180 i dont think when they build the car they wanted you to drive it past 180 most ive taken my car to is 150 down karaong hill :)
The speed limiter is not there because the factory wanted to limit the speed.

It is government legislation.
Yep, just like the Japanese' self imposed power limitations of 276KW

it's all there for a reason
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Well after we were unable to get the eManage Ultimate to run without faulting the ECU... we removed the eManage and decided to test the speed limiter with the speed sensor to the ECU disconnected. Ran it to 230kph in 5th several times with no issues.

So it looks like all you need to do to remove the speed limit is cut this wire (pin 86 on the ECU).

Note this is on a manual, I have no idea whether this will work or cause other issues on an auto.
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

Shane001 wrote:Well after we were unable to get the eManage Ultimate to run without faulting the ECU... we removed the eManage and decided to test the speed limiter with the speed sensor to the ECU disconnected. Ran it to 230kph in 5th several times with no issues.

So it looks like all you need to do to remove the speed limit is cut this wire (pin 86 on the ECU).

Note this is on a manual, I have no idea whether this will work or cause other issues on an auto.
what issues did u have with the emanage? whatfaults were u getting?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Valandis91 wrote:what issues did you have with the emanage? whatfaults were you getting?
The eManage trips a fault in the factory ecu stopping mivec and preventing the engine from revving over 6250rpm. Sounds the same symptoms as here;
http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... 291#132291

I had the GTO adapter hooked up, tried resetting the jumpers and the config to add only, idle was already above 1000rpm... Tried it without the injectors wired through the eManage, tried it without the ignition wired through the emanage... No go...

The only thing still being intercepted is the map sensor, so obviously something is not right here, tried a couple of different sensors in the software config to no avail...
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

mine did that as well as my mechanics had set up the engine parameters wrong. remember if its a mivec u cant pick the 6a12 u have to go universal and pick the right settings... i can send u my map if u wish that is definitely working... dont upload it to yours though as i have aftermarket cams in mine so it could be bad for your engine. but the engine settings are all correct so maybe that could help?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Yes please :D

pm sent
mrmitsi88
Apprentice

Post by mrmitsi88 »

ive been clocked ar 200
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

mrmitsi88 wrote:ive been clocked ar 200
I see your 200 and rais it 50 = 250 :twisted: ( I should add that this was on the dyno with dyno print out as well )
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

hmm, I think my 220 down Conrod trumps you're 250 on the dyno ;) lol!
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Shane001 wrote:hmm, I think my 220 down Conrod trumps you're 250 on the dyno ;) lol!
I will have to say yes to that :twisted:
StraydoG
Apprentice

Post by StraydoG »

Where do you guys get the piggy back ecus and is it simple enough to install myself?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Re: Speed limit on stock ECU?

Post by Shane001 »

The Haltech is your cheapest option and easiest to install. pm aza for a contact.

The eManage Ultimate is more advanced, more expensive and more involved to install. You can get these from Perfectrun. I'd also recommend getting a Field One connector while you're at it.

As for installing it yourself, anything can be done yourself, just depends on how competent you think you are, how competent you really are, and the availability of tools etc.

HTH :D