PORTING

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Jeff
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

PORTING

Post by Jeff »

Has anyone had their ports polished?
In the latest Hi Performance Mag, they took a NA 180SX and gave it a port polish (head Job) and increased it from 82kW to 91kW. It cost them only $500 for the polish. This was done at Adelaide Engine Developments. This is great bang for buck.
Has anyone had this done, and what improvement did they get?
Also does anyone know who would do this in Brisbane?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

yeah i've got the engine ported & polished, but it was done in Japan so i have no idea what gain it had. I never done a dyno either!
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
elmo
Grease Monkey

MODS

Post by elmo »

I reckon the Fto responds beautifully to breathing mods such as exhaust and throttle body upgrades. There would be no reason not to expect similiar gains but the cost would be much higher as the fto is V6 so there is more work involved.
kaveman
Grease Monkey

Post by kaveman »

saw same article

have priced, you will be looking at least 2.5 - 3.5 k

it cost $500 just to port one head, fto V6 have 2, so thats 1k straight up

you also have to pay to get the head off and back one,

you would also properly need cams as well, as you will lose torque

and other bits and peices

am tring to find cams for a non mivec at the moment

will keep you all posted
Biot
Apprentice

Post by Biot »

polishing the ports is only a short term mod - eventually looses its lusture.

plus polished ports makes petrol bead and disrupts the fuel air mixture making it uneven.

do a dyno after a few a couple of thousand kms and see it disappear slowly!

I also saw a mod the other day for a PT Cruiser throttle body which actually tries to create turbulance on intake. I am still studying the theory on how it has an effect - its seems to work well on that vehicle.
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

what about boring out the throttle body? is this a price effective mod?
ive seen the article on the ftowa site, has anyone else tried this?
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

we tested the vacumm on the throttle body on the weekend... englarging the throttle body will have about a 1-2% gain if lucky...

not convinced it is a worthwhile mod at this time.
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

sorry i misquoted.. its actually from this web site

http://members.iinet.net.au/~marke/html/diary.html

apparently he got 118kw at the wheels after boring out the throttle body from 55mm to 64mm, boring out the manifold and adding a ram pod air filter. but this somehow equated to 139.9kw at the engine, is that same as at flywheel?
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

makes no sense what so ever.
Biot
Apprentice

Post by Biot »

important thing to remember is that air flow under vaccum takes the path of least resistance.

boring manifolds will work well if there is no bends etc.

throttle body boring will work well if it is the smallest restriction in a intake line, in general.

if you want some cheap easy HP well about 3-4HP maybe, then get a good set of Magnacor ignition leads. the more juice you give your sparkys the greater the burn percentage will hopefully be in the chamber on detenation.

check the lead you have now by placing it 1/2" away from a srtut bold or some other ground location and check the colour of the spark (while engine is running). If it aint blue, then it maybe time to get some leads :)
elmo
Grease Monkey

throttle body

Post by elmo »

Feels like more than 1% thats for sure.
But maybe that's only if you got the extractors and rampod too???
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

do you have a dyno print on this gain? and were you replacing faulty leads at the time?
Biot
Apprentice

Post by Biot »

dont forget to adjust your ignition timing also when changing leads else you wont get the full benefit!
kaveman
Grease Monkey

Post by kaveman »

boring out the throttle body will give you more top end as the air can flow more easy at high rev, you will lose torque down low so you have to way up what you want
Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey

Post by Blk-Jet »

hey all,

after having an accident a few months ago my baby is finally back on the road! However, now i've decided to begin fidling with the engine.

Porting and polishing the heads is my first step, so far i've pulled both heads off and starting monday night i'm beginning the first stage of the porting. I'll keep you guys updated with pics as I go along. If anyone has done this please email me any pics or info to help us along the way!

I have a question though about the exhaust upgrade uniquefto has for sale. I was under the impression that the length of the 2 exhaust piepes leading from the extractors to the CAT must be of equal size? Same as extractors otherwise you stuff up the pattern of flow and in turn the properties of the design. i.e. loonger runners will increase top end short length increases torque etc.

Cheers
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

just wandering
i got a tip well top end for me is fine but anything below 4k rpm feels slow sometimes slower than 4 cylinder

for 500$ is there anything i could do? i got pod and exhaust but i think that just helps top end

thanks
Biot
Apprentice

Post by Biot »

ignition leads = magnacor....it will give u a little

like most things in high performance catergories....the extra % cost twice as much when you get near the pinnacle :)
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

kaveman wrote:boring out the throttle body will give you more top end as the air can flow more easy at high rev, you will lose torque down low so you have to way up what you want
if you want some extra torque for the low RPM, get some extractors... after having a ride in Eric's FTO, i can vouch for it! you can really feel the extra urge, and you certainly won't be waiting forever to get to the MIVEC point in 3rd, hehehe...
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

Blk-Jet wrote:hey all,
I have a question though about the exhaust upgrade uniquefto has for sale. I was under the impression that the length of the 2 exhaust piepes leading from the extractors to the CAT must be of equal size? Same as extractors otherwise you stuff up the pattern of flow and in turn the properties of the design. i.e. loonger runners will increase top end short length increases torque etc.
the short answer is no they don't have to be the same length, but they must be of lengths that match up with the gass flow rate so that they create a low pressure to help suck the exhausts gasses out of the other bank. If you want to know more there are great books in most uni libraries on how to design exhaust systems (under engineering)

Our results to date have given extra torgue and kW's.

Our 3rd design on this has just been completed and sent off for production i don't expect any further delays on this job. sorry guys about the delay but i want a product that works!
Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey

Post by Blk-Jet »

Thanks stephen for that answer, it's cleared it up!

Back onto porting of heads, if this is donw and an increase in air is brought to the cylinders, will the computer/ injectors automaticially compensate for the rise in air? Is it a mod you can do without having to worry about the fto computer giving you a lean mix etc?