Turbocharge a GPX???

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

whitegpx
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Turbocharge a GPX???

Post by whitegpx »

Hi everyone! I am thinking to get my GPX turbocharged, but after contacted with RPW I'm a bit disappointed....I got some information from RPW that turbo a GPX with stock internals can only run about 5psi of boosts due to the high compression ratio, and the MIVEC...I was told that I have to change forged pistons, rods, and custom camshafts to run more boosts. I know that few people here have turbocharged their FTO, does anyone turbocharged fto GPX with stock engine internals? How many psi of boost do you run? Thanks hips...
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

this question has been covered heaps... just do a search on the forum... but since im in a good mood... ill answer your questions...

it is easier to turbo a GR than a GPX because there is no mivec to deal with in the GR... but it is still possible to turbo a GPX...
stock internals can only run about 5psi of boosts due to the high compression ratio
decompression gaskets are available to lower the compression...
stock engine internals? How many psi of boost do you run?
with a 210 or 240cc injectors i would only run about 7-10psi on stock internals... if civics and integras can run 7 -10psi i dont see why u cant run the same on a fto...
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

6-7psi daily would be the safe limit on standard compression assuming the tune is good. Turning it up to 8 or 9 for a little fun on occassion may be ok but not very safe on standard compression. Again comes down to the tuning. Right now I'm runing about 6 daily for almost a year on standard compression with no issues on standard injectors. Will be getting a water injection kit soon and upgrading injectors to give me a more comfortable safety level and up the boost to about 8.

Having said all of that I have a GX :lol:
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

oh no this topic again ... yes you got your answer and that's why my GPX is still N/A

having said that, why don't you think about getting a front cut and do a conversion instead? i did think about it in one stage 8O
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problem.

[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/79682123.png[/img]
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

This is why i sold my FTO and bought an EVO i figured spend 10k on a turbo upgrade or sell it and spend the 10k on getting a AWD Turbo car....
[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/barfy76/barfycopy1.jpg[/img]
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

We need a new section : FTO Turbo Posts HERE -------------->

thats why a bought a r33...to compliment the FTO. as its a turbo setup already I can concentrate on making it run wicked...as aposed to screwwing aorund with my GPX for not much gain. However I have some plans...but would probably change the engine totally..

Maybe just get a GR engine and set t up and put it in your car, might save you in the end...

There is some1 else about to do this...have a look at that thread.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... pic&t=9998

Dont forget to do your clutch... well i have to anyway, its already slippin with stock engine... Where are you located? If in QLD i'd be more than happy to take you for a run in mine after next week or two.. same setup on another GPX saw around 170KW ATW.... Personally i wouldnt want more that that... torque steer, traction issues, etc come into play up that power range...to do a half decent setup around $7-8000 is needed.. mine is totaling a bit over $6000 using some 2nd hand gear....
If i get 150kw atw i'd be pretty happy... i will only run 5 psi untill i get decompressed gaskets and water injection.. already have 390cc injectors with the kit... then maybe up to 7-8psi... but for a FWD you wouldnt bother getting forgies or running high boost... theres no need... you'll lose all your handling after about 190kw... if your after a small power setup, it should be relatively easy.50-80% gain in performance is not hard and can be had for around $7000 or so...