Jono's TURBO Research, Questions and possible Application!

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jonowong
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Jono's TURBO Research, Questions and possible Application!

Post by jonowong »

Guys, im trying to study for my f**king finals and i cant get the idea of slapping a turbo onto my fto, seen too many turbo ftos lately, eg RedlineGX, WR, Kermut, GPXXX and FNTSY, they all seem to have turbo kits running pretty reliably so i keep thinking about it and i keep researching while i should be studying, so to get this stuff out of my head im going to put it all here.

First thing i did was go on google and look at off the shelf turbo kits for N/A cars like the integra and civic. I then realised theres not many parts to a turbo kit. Like in this photo

Going from around from left to right.
1. Turbo Dump pipe
2. External Waste Gate
3. Turbo Manifold
4. Turbo
5. Vacuum Hose
6. Intercooler and Piping
7. Silicone Hoses and Clamps
8. Blow off Valve
9. Oil Feed and Return Lines
10. Fuel Management (Not Pictured)

Looks simple enough? well i realised it isnt so simple after all after a hours of further research. Here are some problems i ran into during R&D

Turbo Manifold + Dump Pipe
The main problem when trying to turbo a FTO, the FTO being V6 has 3 exhaust outlets behind the radiator and another 3 infront of the firewall, having a look there it is a tight fit, and very hard to see how you would orientate the pipes to minimise turbulence, at the same time trying to fit everything in the engine bay. I had a talk with some exhaust shops around sydney, i was told they can make a turbo manifold with the front bank exhaust outlets for $800 and a dump pipe for $300, but only using the front 3 would slow down the spool of the turbo. I was then quoted $1500 for all 6 outlets. Now with that problem semi-solved it raised another question, where do i mount the turbo in the car?

here is a proposed turbo manifold and downpipe design...

Turbo + Wastegate Issues
Now i was told by several members on the forums, not run more than 6psi on standard internals and without lowering the compression. Im happy running 4psi daily but thats not where the problem arises.
I had a look around for a few hours for a suitable turbo and realised most turbos off the shelf run at least 7psi, so i spent the next few hours researching how to lower this to 4psi, a manual boost controller wont work and then i asked RedlineGX how he got around this he told me a external waste gate.
RedlineGX wrote:Basically you need to mount the wastegate on the upipe at any point between extractors and turbo. Either directly onto the pipe with a weld on flange or by running a custom pipe, maybe 1" or so to the wastegate from the upipe. This is what I did since it give a lot more flexibility in terms of wastegate placement.

The difference with external as opposed to internal is where the air goes. On an internal its automatically routed out the back of the turbo through the downpipe and out the exhaust. With an external the wategate blows to atmosphere which is a little better for performance but louder. You can either leave it that way or ad a small pipe to divert the hot air out of the engine bay under the car etc and reduce a little of the noise. Or you can run a longer pipe and plumb it back into the exhaust at any point before the O2 sensor which would be quieter but require more work.

Also if you get a turbo with an internal wastegate and you need to run an external one you might have to weld shut the valve so it doesnt open anymore depending on the spring rate.
Not being bothered with that, it almost destroyed my turbo dream, an hour or two later i then i stumbled upon a turbo saab or volvo site i cant remember, and they had a guide on how to decrease the boost on they turbo through the waste gate actuator rod. I quickly found out that loosening the rod (lengthen) will reduce the psi and screwing the rod in (shortening) will increase the boost. But not all internal waste gates are adjustable, the turbo i wanted (T25H) i quickly realised was not adjustable so now im after a T28, so if anyone sees any cheap ones around give me a pm!

Turbo Issues Part 2
Ok, the t28 i am after is water cooled and oil cooled, RedlineGX has a fairly easy solution to feed the turbo with oil. The water cooling part is what im worried about, where do i get the water to cool the turbo?
after reading hobbsie's post ive realised theres a little hose that goes into the throttle body with coolant, is it ok to tee this and take some coolant going there to cool the turbo? or is there a better place? or can i just cool it on oil alone?

this is what im planning to tee it with at the throttle body

now for coolant do i use a vacuum hose or a fuel line hose?

Blow off Valve
This was fairly straight forward, but not wanting to weld, i looked for a solution to see if you can have a non-welded blow off valve.
I can up with this
flange for greddy blow off valve
to go into a silicone tee hose like this
problem solved, so at any time i get done for having a blow off valve, i can quickly remove it and replace with a straight silicone hose.

Fuel Management
Said to be one of the most expensive aspects of a turbo kit, i had a look online to find that, most kits under 7psi dont come with a safc or new ecu or even a piggyback. Realised heaps of americans are running what they call FMUs (Fuel Management Units)

here is a a quote from another forum
thermal wrote:As we all know, the intake manifold on a non-force induced engine is always on a vacuum state. Once the engine is subjected to Force Induction by either a Turbo or Supercharger, the intake manifold will become a pressurized component. A pressurized intake manifold dictates more volume of air for combustion purposes. However, the added volume of air will not burn properly unless ample fuel is provided. The Vortech FMU is a “rising rateâ€
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

*doans flame suit*

bring on the flaming bitches
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Buy a supercharger! :lol:
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

lols i dont know anything about them, wouldnt know where the f**k to start
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Buy an SS :lol:
LED ALL the things.
Hobbsie
Grease Monkey

Post by Hobbsie »

That is some well thought and compelling work. I especially think the diagrams are of an excellent standard. However, I think you should rethink the color scheme. there is too much dark blue and not enough pink.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

why wont a manual bleed valve not work? effectively all you are doing is controlling the pressure seen by the wastegate mebrane to control the pressure, up or down. 80% of turbo owners use them, I use an AVCR..

As for the intercooler...everyone goes for a big FMIC...for these apps u only need a small one..after all your only runnig like 6psi..

As for the fuel management...hmm thats sounds a bit *~dreamy~* to me they are simply using a rising rate FPR. If your gonna do all of this buy somthing that you can tune properly. After all you tune will be the most important part of your setup.

Turbo selction is key to good performance...you want a small, quick spooling turbo for good response.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

khunjeng wrote:why wont a manual bleed valve not work? effectively all you are doing is controlling the pressure seen by the wastegate mebrane to control the pressure, up or down. 80% of turbo owners use them, I use an AVCR..
i was told by a SAU selling bleed values for $20 that they cant bleed the psi to under what the wastegate spring is set at? was i told wrong?
khunjeng wrote:As for the intercooler...everyone goes for a big FMIC...for these apps u only need a small one..after all your only runnig like 6psi..
the smallest aftermarket FMIC i could find was 450x140x65, i considered a supra mkIII one for abit though but they are pretty big too.

:D
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

With the turbo you could still use the T25H, just get the wastegate actuator changed for one that starts opperating a 4psi, I think most turbo shop can do this.

With the fuel management I've seen on a lancer that has been turboed they got an extra injector fitted and leave the stock fuel system, the one I saw had a turbolink which adds another injector and opperates when the engine hits boost and it then retards the igniton.
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

If your gonna run at 4 psi for daily use then an intercooler isn't really an issue. You are gonna need one if you go much above that, say 8 or 9 psi but for 4, dont hassle yourself.

And you can get an ECU which will allow you to fit an extra injector into the intake pipe and take care of fueling that way.

HTH

Arashi
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

i was told by a SAU selling bleed values for $20 that they cant bleed the psi to under what the wastegate spring is set at? was i told wrong?
yeah u r right sorry not to exp. with loweing to 4psi. but the fix is easy get a new spring with a different rate.
Last edited by khunjeng on Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

Storm wrote:If your gonna run at 4 psi for daily use then an intercooler isn't really an issue. You are gonna need one if you go much above that, say 8 or 9 psi but for 4, dont hassle yourself.

And you can get an ECU which will allow you to fit an extra injector into the intake pipe and take care of fueling that way.

HTH

Arashi
why wouldn't you want colder air? thats the whole point...
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

i might grab a GT17... nice and small to fit in the engine bay!

AND LOOK IT HAS A ADJUSTABLE WASTEGATE!!!

now one more question... is 4psi on a small turbo is the same as 4psi boost on a larger turbo?
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

khunjeng wrote:
Storm wrote:If your gonna run at 4 psi for daily use then an intercooler isn't really an issue. You are gonna need one if you go much above that, say 8 or 9 psi but for 4, dont hassle yourself.

HTH

Arashi
why wouldn't you want colder air? thats the whole point...
It's heated up by compression. The more you compress it the hotter it becomes and yes, you then start to loose density when it gets too hot. For 4 psi it isn't going to warm up very much. Good filter positioning will keep the temps down.

If space and money is no object them go for it, but below a certain pressure (and I cant remember what that is :oops: ) the intercooler will lose power by obstructing the air flow and the benefits of reduced temps will not be greater than the losses.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

i think ill go no intercooler first...

then ill go in for a dyno run... compare before and after...

then we'll see where we go from there :D
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

jonowong wrote:i think ill go no intercooler first...

then ill go in for a dyno run... compare before and after...

then we'll see where we go from there :D
jono, you will need to add some comment to that statement as it was very diplomatic and you will lose your reputation if you keep going like this :lol:

Arashi
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

lols f**k THE LOT OF YAs!!!!!!!

MY 4PSI STILL BLOWS HARDER THEN YOUR GFs!!!!!!

jokes :lol:
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Ok first off seems like you are serious about this and have done your research. To see if I can help you...most of the comments on here are correct. You dont need an intercooler for 4psi of boost but I would still highly reccommend one even very small. Look hard enough and you will find one even off an old car etc. Heat is your enemy and running no intercooler will be hotter for sure.

Secondly if you plan on running 6psi daily then to be honest you might find that a turbo with a 7psi spring opens at about 6. Running an external wastegate is really not that hard, they also come in different designs so suit where you want to put them.

It is going to be very very difficult to run a turbo without moving the battery my friend. Sorry to say. Unless you can get a dry cell small battery and maybe move it to the other side of the engine bay by P/S resevoir. Ideally where the battery is, is about where the turbo would be best. Also remember you can't have anything too close to the turbo when that starts to get hot. From the multicolour ilustration you have it seems your uppipe will only be running from the front bank? If not then I dont think that your design will work coming from the rear and front up to that point, there is a lot below the car. Also I think the turbo may be a litte longer than the yellow blob you have allocated there :lol: Also the up and down pipes will have to be at least 2.5" diameter. If you wanted you could run separate up pipes that merge at the turbo.

Now at 4psi you dont even have to run a BOV, so you can probably remove that from your equation. As far as boost and turbo size, 4psi is 4psi regardless of turbo. Its just a measure of pressure. The difference is a small turbo will spool a lot earlier and faster than a large one. Right off that might seem like a good thing but dont forget that with a 2.0 24v v6 engine a turbo that spools at 2800rpm on a 1.6cc car will spool a lot earlier on an FTO and bare in mind then that traction on move off can become an issue. Best to get something that spools around 3000 rpm or so. The T28 would be a good choice.

As far as engine management, I can't stress to you enough how important this is. From both safety and performance point of view. When turbocharging a car fuel is only one factor. You also have to consider ignition timing. If you run standard timing on a high compression car,
even with just 4psi then you will start to detonate and eventually bye bye engine. Consider this. Standard air pressure is about 14.7psi. Now if you plan on running say 6psi even on occassion that is over 40% more air than stock. You wont need to upgrade your injectors. I am running 5psi right now on stock injectors and I am running too rich, waiting on retune. I have a FPR and evo fuel pump.

Water cooling is not an issue either I am sure there are several access points on the block. The manuals i think point them out.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

well i think im going to be leaning towards the Garrett GT17, mainly because its small and its got an adjustable actuator, it makes things a lot more simpler.

It looks tiny enough to fit where i want it to...

and since ive been told there is little need for an intercooler at 4psi, ill just have a straight 3" pipe going up to the intake manifold and make it do a 90 degree turn and i think it might fit with the battery there, i have a relatively small battery (half the standard) as u can see from my multicolour diagram :P.

i do plan on using the front and rear back, my plan is to have them join where they usually do and then have a 2.5" up pipe comming back up. and then the down pipe running down next to it back.

and with the gt17 spooling too early, is there anyway to slow its spool down? its off a saab 2.3L car, so i thought it wudve been ok :s i guess not, but i think i want to use this turbo now because of its size, seems like it'll be a good fit
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Sounds like it can work if you can find the space, but again I wouldnt run any turbo setup esp. on a high compression engine without some sort of cooling. Run fine on a cool day or night but on a hot day you might be asking for trouble.