Jono's TURBO Research, Questions and possible Application!

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jonowong
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by jonowong »

even on 4psi ill have to retard timing?
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

ok another update, just had a talk with my exhaust guy over the phone, he says all 6 banks will be cheaper then expected, he didnt realise the extractors on the fto come off in 2 different parts, so its going to be a lot cheaper to be made up, but he did recommend me use 3 outlets to spool the GT17 slower, he said ill torque steer into a wall or tree with all 6... im going to try all 6 for now, and then if its too much of a handful to manage im going to modify to 3.

now with the money i save... im thinking of getting a e-manage and a tune, can the e-manage retard iginition timing?
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

Nice work Jono. Have you had a look at all the other turbo FTOs in Japan? There's both GRs and GPXs, all have slightly different setups and designs which you might find interesting.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

kid_dynamite wrote:Nice work Jono. Have you had a look at all the other turbo FTOs in Japan? There's both GRs and GPXs, all have slightly different setups and designs which you might find interesting.

its really hard to find engine bay pics of the ones from japan :(
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

This might be worthy of a move in Projects Corner.... :D
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

jonowong wrote:
its really hard to find engine bay pics of the ones from japan :(
I've got a list at home I'll try and post up. Do a google for 'moritaku fto' - as far as I'm concerned his FTO is one of the most impressive I've seen.

I really think moving the battery to the boot is the way to go (or at least switch to a small battery) - the added space gives you a lot more flexibility for piping.

The e-manage can do ignition timing with the additional harness.

Intercoolers - you can get plenty in smaller sizes than you have found from other cars (eg silvia), or get a custom one made up.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

hehe i planned for that!!
notice how small my battery is :)

ive just found a small intercooler as well from www.justjap.com in kirrawee

Cooling-Pro Universal Tube & Fin Intercooler - Small Price: $99
Tube & Fin - 300 x 225 x 55mm

still 1cm too thick.... but i think i can shave 1cm off the front bar without making it look too tragic :)

but ill go no intercooler first like storm said :)
WildRide
Grease Monkey

Post by WildRide »

I'm not as up to date with the techincal details as some of the other people here (nice research work btw), but having owned a turbo fto for 2 years I can safely say "heat is not your friend" :(

I run 7psi which is a bit more than your talking, but have a very heavily engenereed cooling setup.
Even with 3 seperate coolers (inter, oil, transmission) any time the mercury gets over 35 the car stays in the garage.
Over 30 and it's milk bar runs only.

Australian summer air is hot and dry and the 2L v6 isn't exactally the coolest running engine to start off with.

If the car is going to be your daily driver, then make your decisions accordingly.

Good luck with the project.
Sounds like your off to an excellent start. :D

WR
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

i need the car to go to work everyday :(
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

Made a turbo picture thread for ya... Turbo conversions and a couple of engine swaps. See the Gibberish section.
WildRide
Grease Monkey

Post by WildRide »

Hay bud....don't let me rain on your street party. 8)

Every after market turbo set up is different.
And I'm by no means the authority on the subject.

Talk the other turbo owners and see what their experiences are.

WR
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

thanks a lot KD!!!

i think the heat problems but just be the front mount being infront of the radiator so the radiator doesnt get enough air flow... we'll see what happens when its all in haha
13TT

Post by 13TT »

jonowong wrote:i might grab a GT17... nice and small to fit in the engine bay!

AND LOOK IT HAS A ADJUSTABLE WASTEGATE!!!

now one more question... is 4psi on a small turbo is the same as 4psi boost on a larger turbo?
You might want to check the power rating on that turbo.
Last edited by 13TT on Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Yes heat is bad :wink: Blocking off your radiator will have less of an impact than having no intercooler to begin with. May I also suggest eventually getting a water injection kit. Thats what my next buy is going to be :) Then a cryo system 8)

Yes an emanage can adjust timing. You can pick up a used blue unit at a good price. Thats what I currently use.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

RedlineGX wrote:Yes heat is bad :wink: Blocking off your radiator will have less of an impact than having no intercooler to begin with. May I also suggest eventually getting a water injection kit. Thats what my next buy is going to be :) Then a cryo system 8)

Yes an emanage can adjust timing. You can pick up a used blue unit at a good price. Thats what I currently use.
my emanage is on ebay! buy it in 1 day before it goes...

haha yes run a small IC, SMIC or FMIC...get a custom one if necessary.. do yourself a favor and get one. If your running a GR with a AFM...dont think about putting it in the direct airflow form the grill with a turbo setup...

for for the actuator arm...u can make them adjustable...wont cost u much to do it your self. You can cut and thread the arm and use bolt as u saw before to make it...its really not hard.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Did you end up calculating what sort of gain you wish to achieve in this sort of setup? :?
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

lols a very hopeful 30kW and heaps of low down and mid range torque
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

jonowong wrote:lols a very hopeful 30kW and heaps of low down and mid range torque
low / mid torque with a turbo? :?

Thats why I went for a blower!
13TT

Post by 13TT »

jonowong wrote:lols a very hopeful 30kW and heaps of low down and mid range torque
30kw is probably all the gt17 could give you, maybe not even that much.
Check the compressor map before you buy a turbo.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

well reading up about the gt17, its only good up to about 10 -12psi, but it comes to full boost at about 2500rpm

yeah its fine i only want about 30kW more