Jono's TURBO Research, Questions and possible Application!

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jonowong
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by jonowong »

ok im going to need some gauges, i need a boost and air fuel ratio gauge definately...

how important are oil temp, oil pressure and water temp?

anything else im missing?
13TT

Post by 13TT »

jonowong wrote:well reading up about the gt17, its only good up to about 10 -12psi, but it comes to full boost at about 2500rpm

yeah its fine i only want about 30kW more
4psi will probably get the little sucker close to its max flow, running any more will just widen your peak power but wont raise it any.
also cause it to wear faster aswell.

2500rpm full boost sounds nice but on a high reving engine like yours you dont want the turbo killing your top end too much..... do you?
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

its set on 7 stock though
13TT

Post by 13TT »

i think running such a small turbo is going to cause issues especially on a mivec motor which has huge overlap in the cams.
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

I agree I think that turbo is a bit small on a car designed NA.
You will need Boost gauge. May I also strongly suggest an Air/Fuel gauge and an oil pressure gauge. Wideband for the AF if you can afford it.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Have you got a tip or a manual?
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

ive got a tip :P
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

jono im impressed man with your research and im right behind u on this 1, i so wanna do this 2.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

well ill be the guinea pig, if its all good your welcome to copy me
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

wotever you do...dont do a kmart special job...seen so many...so crap and more problems in the end. do it right, do it properly. But this is not the cheapest option.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

awesome. :) i have a tip 2 and im guessing u want to keep urs aswell? sounds like your got a bit more expertise down in nsw though with ppl that can help u.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

after much consideration i am again after a t25 or t28! or a TD04
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

much better turbo choices.
FNTSY
Grease Monkey

Post by FNTSY »

jono...
i have just skimmed through this thread and all i can say is STOP
your heading in the wrong direction.

FIRSTLY that gt17 is a piece of sh*t on an fto its max out put is near 200hp at the fly, which is way to small for the fto. the turbo will be so far out of its efficeny range it will want to self destruct.

SENCOND if u want an engine to ping like a clubber on E's then do like u mentioned and run no cooler but i can asure you that if u want the engine to last u must use a cooler of some sort.

THIRD, Air fuel gauge is so not need as u will be running a after market computer and will be running really rich so it will all ways say rich and it wont move. u need a wideband air fuel meter they start at about $650 for a cheap one.

u need a turbo that is capable of outputs more like 300ps and up. (listen to 13TT)

u need a cooling system. (my car never over heated even with the huge cooler infront of the radiator)

u need an aftermarket computer to be set up properly

i have always run the 6 outputs into the turbo never just done 3 outlets.
FNTSY MOTORSPORTS NEWCASTLE
###for all your boosting needs###
FNTSY
Grease Monkey

Post by FNTSY »

even on 4psi ill have to retard timing?

yes u will have to,,, U need an after market computer or piggy back to retard the timing depending on boost/vaccum levels. etc etc
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

FNTSY wrote:jono...

THIRD, Air fuel gauge is so not need as u will be running a after market computer and will be running really rich so it will all ways say rich and it wont move. u need a wideband air fuel meter they start at about $650 for a cheap one.
english please? why would an aftermarket computer run rich all of the time? the whole point is to fix it up not to run rich all of the time...or to lean for that matter.
FNTSY
Grease Monkey

Post by FNTSY »

well your air fuel gauge u bye from autobahn etc etc classes rich anything richer then an 13:1 a/f ratio. for example my fto was runing 10.5:1 on boost. if u dont run it this rich your engine will die early. 10.5:1 maybe be too rich but atleast it was going to last. and considering jono was going to run such a small turbo with no cooler u need it to be rich cause the thing will be on boost when ever u put the throttle down more then 30% so it will always go below that ratio.

u can put one in there but im very sure that when it gets tuned with a different fuel managment system the gauge wont do crap and will show tht its running rich a lot :)

so even if the gauge says rich it still can be lean for that boost level or engine
Last edited by FNTSY on Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FNTSY
Grease Monkey

Post by FNTSY »

actually yes if the tuner thinks its safe to run lean or stoich a/f levels on crusie maps then it may provide u with some info but most tuners will not run lean or stoich much even on cruse maps
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

FNTSY wrote:well your air fuel gauge u bye from autobahn etc etc classes rich anything richer then an 13:1 a/f ratio. for example my fto was runing 10.5:1 on boost. if u dont run it this rich your engine will die early. 10.5:1 maybe be too rich but atleast it was going to last. and considering jono was going to run such a small turbo with no cooler u need it to be rich cause the thing will be on boost when ever u put the throttle down more then 30% so it will always go below that ratio.

u can put one in there but im very sure that when it gets tuned with a different fuel managment system the gauge wont do crap and will show tht its running rich a lot :)

so even if the gauge says rich it still can be lean for that boost level or engine
cool man I'm down with you now..as for the crusie maps...you can run it lean for a number of reasons...its up to the tuner..

after having a knock sensor and seeing the readouts realtime on my PowerFC...I rekcon its the best investment you can make...

My car is tuned to 100RON...wack in 98 and omg do u see the knock jump under full load...imagine if u didn't have that feedback...u'd ahve not idea wtf was going on until one day it went bang!
FNTSY
Grease Monkey

Post by FNTSY »

power fc good man

yeah the tuner normally tunes to what they think is best but a lot of tuners dont want to be held responsable for a blown engine.

yeah the knock reading will go spastic when u change fuel, its good that u can see it first hand so u know how important the correct fuel is