painting interior pannels

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Raven
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

painting interior pannels

Post by Raven »

i want to paint my center console pannel from around the gear stick up to around the clock. but i am not sure what type of paint i should use to do it, or if i should get it profesinaly done.

if anyone knows a place in brisbane or just what paint i should use it would be appreciated.
Whats an FTO?
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

I have had those exact panels sprayed in 2 pac black gloss. I would highly recommend getting it done professionally if only because the top panel has a "rubbery" finish to it and looks difficult to paint as is successfully.

Mine has been done for a few months now and is as good as the day it was done so no cracks yet - crossing fingers.

I had it done by DMD Motorsport at Rocklea (Ipswich Rd - Brisbane) and it shouldn't cost you any more than $100 unless you want a special paint finish. DMD did a pretty good job on it but there are little runs/blobs around the cig lighter/ashtray area if I wanted to be really picky...but the main visible area of the console is perfect. Speak to Doan if you want them to do it for you. I personally wouldn't bother going diy at their price but maybe I'm just lazy.
Raven
Grease Monkey

Post by Raven »

thank you indyfto, i think i will check that place out, just gotta go get my UBD,i know im close to rocklea but have to look it up.
Whats an FTO?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

ifyou are game enough, you can DYI... i took on this task myself last weekend and while i can say it's not easy, it's most definitely do-able if you can spare the time...

for a really good job, you should dedicate an entire weekend.

first give it a light coat... leave for about 30-45mins, then spray another thin coat and leave for about an hour for it to dry. after that spray another thin coat evenly and wait for another hour or so... it usually cures overnight so don't rush it.

spray as many layer as required for that finish that you're after... depending on which paint you use, you may also need a layer or two of clearcoat to finish the job so the paint will not peel or smudge...
Raven
Grease Monkey

Post by Raven »

damn, i think i might get it profesionaly done, i am way way to lazy to take the time to do that many coats, i thought it would be one coat and its finished. o well, thanks for the tips but i would probably screw it up anyway if i did it myself
Whats an FTO?
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

i've used engine enamel to do most of the interior that i've paint. if the parts are small enough i recommend putting htem in the oven for a bit it really helps with the shine.

the engine enamel is also seems to stick a lot better than other paints (in a spray can) and doesn't rub off. don't know how it will work on the rubber bits i haven't tried that just yet.