Electric Water Pumps & fitting

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jc133480
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Electric Water Pumps & fitting

Post by jc133480 »

Has anyone fitted a EWB electic water pump,

As I understand it the stock pump is runs off a pulley and is basically a propeller housed in a metal housing bolted on the side of the engine. I saw a photo of a stock unit for the FTO and this is basically what it looks like.

I have been told by a few people that an electic pump is a cheap way to gain 5 Kwatts, since you reduce the load of the water pump on the engine and divert it to the electical system.

Problem is that having looked at the EWB kit, it looks to be a complicated job. The pump sold by EWB is simlar to a small water pump. How this would replace the housing that is fitted to the side of the engine I cannot imagine.

I think I'll need to have a closer look at the workshop manuals as see if the inlet and outlets of the moulded area where the stock pump fits, can be fitted to have pump hoses connected into it.

Thoughts?

Marty Thygesen (jc133480)
mailto:martin.t@hushmail.com

:P
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

ye, i saw an ad in hot 4's.

im really impressed with the gains, but when you have to buy the water pump, the controller and then getting it fitted it would cost quite a bit.

If you are doing it, keep us up to date........and how much everything costs.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

got a url or more information? i'm always happy to try something on my car and develop a kit if it turns out to be acutally useful and cost effective (from a kW & torque / $$ ratio)
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

just dones some reseach on this and i think this could be quite an affordable solution. i need to (again) pull my engine bay apart to check out how it would work and where it'll go but i don't see any major problems....

just keep in mind that all my research on other projects has shown how highly tuned this engine is so the results probably won't be inline with what some case studies have shown (i.e. on a 1969 chevy engine).
jc133480
Apprentice

electric pumps

Post by jc133480 »

Check out the following address:

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/

cost is about $600 plus I would expect about 4 hours labour.

As I under stand it this product does not make your enginer work hard to get performance but actually reduced the total loading on the engine.

The water pump is run via a belt of the same pulley as the fan belt I believe ( i could be wrong.)

Any its definitely belt driven off the engine, reducing the amount of load on this is an easy bonus to kilowatts at the tred, by reducing the work load on the engine.

This would wholely depend on the amount of load the water pump places on the engine though.

Since the FTO usually runs so hot I would think this would be extremely beneficial, especially if you can add some extra cool via running better piping.
jc133480
Apprentice

Post by jc133480 »

smorison, if you get this before me let me know, if possible I think I could do this myself.

Looks like you would disconnect the existing pump and put this inline with the radiator hose.

To increase the flow the propellar in the existing water pump should be removed. Otherwise you'd be adding load to the electric one, having to spin the old propellar this would be small though as long as the unit was no longer connect to the engine belt.

Either way you'd have to empty the coolant from the engine.

:(
this would be a messy job.

Still at the same time it would be ideal to replace all your coolant tubes with coloured ones from SAMCO (blue for me!!)

Marty Thygesen
FTO Queensland
mailto:martin.t@hushmail.com
akuma

Post by akuma »

nice, but cost way too much for me~