Camera Mount

Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Sparhawk
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Camera Mount

Post by Sparhawk »

I remember seeing sonic with a camera mount on his EVO for the window I think. Was wondering where to look for these, and how much they cost etc... Anyone know ?

(well obvoiusly sonic will know...)
[color=blue]Death is life's way of telling you - you're fired.[/color]
Oh Bugger, my sig block pic has dropped off the host ;(
TCGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by TCGPX »

Are you looking to mount a video or still camera in there Steve?

I started playing around with this sorta thing a while ago (Pinched the idea from Sonic on the cruise he came on). Got a couple of big suction cups and was rigging a mount for the camera, then started to realise the glare issues you had in your photos if it's mounted on the side window. I've even tried out of the sunroof, until we almost lost the camera :oops:. Gave up on that one.

You have to have the camera real close to the front windscreen to get around it, I can prop my still camera (which can shoot 15min high quality or 30 mins low quality video) between the windscreen and the dash. Just need something pointy to hit record :wink:

The only issue here is that the video doesn't give a good indication of speed. Everything seems much slower than it really is. Lately I've been toying with the idea of mounting one of those small surveillance type cameras on the front bumper. Can get wireless ones too. Just need something in the car to record it. Not keen on VHS, too hard to get onto computer plus 12V ones last time I checked were Big $$. Suggestions welcome...
tarkus
Mechanic

Post by tarkus »

Hya

I have taken some reasonable video through the windscreen. ya gotta make sure it clean and polished. but a tripod wedged in front of the passenger seat is pretty stable.

I have thought about making a bracket that fastens under the edge of the bonnet, onto a couple of the bolts that hold the front wing on, not sure how stable that would be.

I have seen one made of perspex that fits into the passenger side window. he trapped it by winding the window up. of course this will not work for us, no top window frame.

I will try and come up with summat this weekend, I have some spare perspex.

Tarkus
Money can't buy happiness, but it can help you look for it quicker, in a convertible.
Sparhawk
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Sparhawk »

Something like this would be ideal, but for 80 UK pounds its a bit rich for me...

Would allow some nice down low along the car shots... :D
Rated to 1.5kg.

Or this one rated at 3kg but a bit more pricey (160 pounds)

Then of course there is the professional rig that can carry 10kg and costs 400 pounds... OMG

TCGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by TCGPX »

Never thought about mounting the camera down low on the side of the car. Not much good for mine, need to start/stop recording. Would be good for a video camera though.
There is a bolt that holds the brake lines underneath the car, roughly in line with the rear edge of the door (drivers side). There is also a screw which holds the skirt on almost in line with that. Wouldn't be hard to mount an aluminium bar from those 2 points and attach a camera mounting to that. I reckon that would hold the weight of your average video camera easily, as long as it's kept close to the body.
Something to think about...
Sparhawk
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Sparhawk »

Hmmm... potential...

Think I might post this in General Discussion to see if anyone around the country has come up with anything good...
sonic
Apprentice

Post by sonic »

The top pic is what I made.....cost about $100.

The suctionpart is available from a place behind lecornus, small angle from bunnings and a bolt for the camera and away you go..... and i wont come off. (it needs to be relatively flat though).

Now I have a mount I made for the centre child restraint in the back of the evo......Better I think for the perspective of the shot.....not that there was anything wrong with the suction part.

I had no glare problems but I mounted the camera a little way away from the glass too.

Cheers

Jaime

(if anyone wants to make an offer on the suction mount let me know I dont really use it.....)