Sam's Turbo Setup progress **FINISHED INSTALL** pics

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Nacho
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Nacho »

Samson wrote:Moved. Okay... quickest FTO Turbo Project Underway
You might want to add these sections for the quickest FTO:

Forged Internals
Brake Upgrade
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

yeh i'll get them in time... at the moment too much $$
robsta
Veteran Mechanic

Post by robsta »

Nacho wrote:
Samson wrote:Moved. Okay... quickest FTO Turbo Project Underway
You might want to add these sections for the quickest FTO:

Forged Internals
Brake Upgrade
I think he means quickest in terms of getting it done?? correct me if I'm wrong
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

How are things going mate ?
[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/barfy76/barfycopy1.jpg[/img]
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Took car in this morning (thurs) will call tomorow to hopefully pick up by arvo. Then cant get tuned till monday. so little/no driving for me...little if car runs so so... none if it runs like sh*t... will let you guys know tomorow night whats up with physical install
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

okay update... rang this morning to see on progress. a delay. he said he needs a day or two to make up some custom pipes... plus some mounting brackets for the IC. so he said mon/tue.. hopefully latest is tue, to give me time to tune before next weekend.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

Samson wrote:okay update... rang this morning to see on progress. a delay. he said he needs a day or two to make up some custom pipes... plus some mounting brackets for the IC. so he said mon/tue.. hopefully latest is tue, to give me time to tune before next weekend.
so the delays begin! cant wait to see it...
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

yeh... im just hopin they dont go extreame...
fto816
Apprentice

Post by fto816 »

nice
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

And what do ya know... the ABS is in the way... great... he has put one pipe in but reckons gonna be very tight to fit both in behind there.... hopefully it goes... will know monday...i hope its done by next weekend..
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Sounds like you got the same problem I had. I ended up unscrewing the ABS box from by my downpipe to give it that extra quarter inch of clearance. Space back there with the ABS is a real b!@ch. Just make sure nothing rubs any of the lines or one day....goodbye brakes! Not good on 5psi 8O
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

so did u get rid of your ABS altoghether or relocate it? what are my options if pipe no fits? i.e quickest option.
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Mine is same place just had to work with pipes. Mr.Bishi on the UK forum has changed his to non-abs but was more work than i wanted to do.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

work with pipes? as in the ABS pipes or the turbo pipes?
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

hey mate,

Grats on the turbo-age:) Looking forward to seeing it all finished and shiny :) You'll have to take me for a spin so I can see if I want to drop some cash into mine as well :)
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

sure... personally i would never do this.. the only reason i have is because the kit was pre-built for a model like mine... to get this made from scratch would be time consuming, expensive, and a headache.
But if you got the dosh. and a spare car to run around in for a few months... then go for it... well mines not even finished yet and i've already had many headaches..

BTW: UPDATE: after promising me my car tuned by fri, the boffins at the tuning joint said there'll be a wait on my microtech... SWEET!.. looks like mid jan till i get a tune... but they said they could tune my stock ecu to get me by till then... im unsure though...
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Samson wrote: But if you got the dosh. and a spare car to run around in for a few months... then go for it... well mines not even finished yet and i've already had many headaches..
I got mine done in less than 5 days including complete fabrication and a safe map.
Samson wrote: BTW: UPDATE: after promising me my car tuned by fri, the boffins at the tuning joint said there'll be a wait on my microtech... SWEET!.. looks like mid jan till i get a tune... but they said they could tune my stock ecu to get me by till then... im unsure though...
Why not get something else then? An emanage blue for instance is very easy to install and very easy to tune and you can pick them up pretty cheap nowadays.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

well im getting tune/microtech/install for $2000 even... best price on emanage was $1900 for the same.... but aparently microtech is better... especialy with injector control, etc.

Update:
went and saw them this mornin. Looks like im loosin ABS as i need the room to run the second pipe... also he said my fuel lines have to be moved being so close to the rather hot turbo pipes.
i.e.

Currently looks like:

Should look like:
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

Samson wrote: but they said they could tune my stock ecu to get me by till then... im unsure though...
8O :?
Stockie ECU can't be remapped. And since you are upgrading injectors, the car will be running rich. Worst case scenario you'll be flooding the engine.

You could try fiddling around with fuel pressures but that's probably asking a bit much with the stock ECU and the additional complexity of a turbo.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

would it be better to leave stock injectors in untill ecu?