REQ: I am after a head unit that..

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

REQ: I am after a head unit that..

Post by G_A_V »

Any one know of a good head unit with an mp3 player, that plays mp3s of cds, and also is double din (fills the entire space in the fto)) ??? Ihave been looking but its soo difficult to find double din head units in australia, oh and i done wanna pay a sh*t load for it, just a basic system without your full lcd screen displaying an indy car go round a circuit lol
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

i heard both double din and mp3 players are crap :?

double din- less quality and less amp power

mp3-less sound quality.

i dont mind the mp3 but i personally dont like double din
my 2 cents :wink:
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

why would they be crap ?? you have double the room to fit all the head unit parts, and my experiance with electrical parts in a larger enclosure is that its better, due to heat issues
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i've been looking for a dbl-DIN MP3 deck for ages myself, but i eventually settled for a single DIN MP3 deck from Panasonic... Dbl-DINs will always be more expensive but nevertheless they are also often cramped with more features (and perhaps 50% of which i won't be using anyway).

depending on the compression used, the sound quality from an MP3 file is so negligable that the difference itself cannot be detected by the human ear. if you mean MP3 players are crap in that aspect, then I'll have to strongly disagree with you because 80-90% of all head units on the market now are MP3 capable, and about 2/3 or them will fetch big $$$ (depending on your budget).

The only crap MP3 players that I know off are those cheap nasty stuff from Strathfield with xXx brands that is synonymous with the stuff that is sold at The Reject Shop... :P

I think at the end of the day, the only issue about choosing an MP3-capable dbl-DIN H/U is looks, price and features - all of which are kinda subjective matters LOL...
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

i was thinking of ordering one from japan, seeing as most headu nits there are double din, i dont really give a crap the radio stations wont be picked up, because i will have mp3 cds :)
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

why so keen on double din?
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

i cant stand the space bellow the head unit, i just wna something that fills it out nicely
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

considered a
a)cd stacker thingy like GPXXX has
b)blanking plate from funky, which should arrive for me tommorow...
c)genuine mitsu blanking plate

would match better in my opnion than many of the rather ugly lookin double din units out there
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

actually might pick up one of those cd holder thingys, where did u get yours from again mikey ?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

or u can get an digital equaliser, in dash single din DVD or LCD...........& so on & on
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

i would put a double dash lcd in it, but the where would i put my head unit lol, those graphic equalisers what are they worth these days ?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Thats why i said single din LCD, so u can have the head unit 2!!!!!!!!!!!
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

Why dont you buy a single DIN head unit, and buy a In-Dash Screen that sits on top of it. This way, it will cover both spaces. Then you buy a DVD player that plays MP3's, VCD's, DVD's, CD's etc.
Trust me, you will enjoy a screen and DVD player a lot more than just a MP3 player. Just my 2 cents!
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Gosh thats what i've been saying all along!!!

DZYRME, i know what u said is a GREAT setup, cause thats exactly what i've been running since my last car :wink: Well for this FTO, the head unit plays mp3 as well, so i end up with two mp3 player in my car!!!! Bonus!!
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

G_A_V wrote:actually might pick up one of those cd holder thingys, where did u get yours from again mikey ?
i got my multi-stacker ejectable CD tray thingamajiggies from Autobarn, for $45. Not a 'perfect fit' but it works wonders and looks a crapload better than a hole in that console!
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

i found a very nice head unit that does all i want, though i cant find anywhere that sells it, i found a place in japan that had it for aud 1200, any one know where i can get eclipse gear from in australia ?? is this head unit any good or what ?
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

G_A_V wrote:any one know where i can get eclipse gear from in australia ??
Freeway Car Audio in Melbourne has it. But you're from NSW :cry: . I'm sure someone there keeps it.

http://www.freewaycaraudio.com.au/Car%2 ... oducts.htm
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Eclipse are made by Fujitsu Ten, maybe u can seach them by that name, if it help. All i can say is there stuff aren't cheap in Australia