New Japanese Sports Car

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

What car should I get?

Nissan Skyline R34
11%
Toyota Supra
26%
Mitsubishi GTO
37%
Other (Please Specify)
26%

Total votes: 19

AJ
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by AJ »

-Nighthawk- wrote: So why did you do up your FTO? Are you trying to make it look like a more expensive car then what it actually is? After all it is only a 2L V6.
I've not tried to make my GPX look like a GPvR :roll: (please lets not debate if a GPX is better than a GPvR)

By all means, put a body kit on, I encourage that, just don't try to make it look like a OEM higher spec model on the outside. As for not racing at the lights, I know you don't race, just like everyone else on here but that won't stop little Jonny in his 1.6 Corolla bragging.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

I don't understand how someone can brag that they beat me if I don't pay attention to them and don't accelerate fast to indicate I'm racing? :?

That just makes them look stupid for saying it, absolutely nothing to do with what car I'm in.

I'm not trying to make it look like an OEM GTR, I just like a few of the panels and the color of it, because really that color does look absolute mint on a Skyline

(oh and a lot of members on here are using facelift and GPvR kits on their GPX's, no one has picked them up on that ;) they simply want to improve the aesthetics of their GPX)
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

ok, lets leave it there. Good discussion. Let us know what you go for anyway. Good luck with the decision.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

If you're moving up from the FTO .. go Euro!

When my Garage has my FTO + a Lotus Elise I will be a happy man :)

If you're dead set on staying in the Jap-Auto Scene, then the only way to move on from an FTO is to get an RX-7

Has the looks, class & pedigree .. you might be rebuilding the engine more often, but it's not a major ordeal..
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

-Nighthawk- wrote:oh and a lot of members on here are using facelift and GPvR kits on their GPX's, no one has picked them up on that ;) they simply want to improve the aesthetics of their GPX
Sorry, 1 more point. The difference between a GPX and a GPvR is minimal (performance wise), but between a 2.something auto and a 2.6 twin turbo GTR I believe is significant. But do what you want. And believe me, kids in small cars who 'beat' better cars off the line will brag, you only have to look through these very forums to see that.
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

fair game AJ :salut:

ok i think the point is while yes it adds more of an exterior apeal, it becomes more fake aswell...

in anycase its exactly like putting on an evo kit on a lancer to fool everybody.... it may not be your intention, but thats how it comes across to anyone who knows what a gtr is
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

You cant get a normal skyline to look like a GTR. GTRs have the wide body (ie rear fenders, front fenders etc). Sure you could get the GTR front bar and rear bar but on a GTS-t or GTS-25t, it would look stupid. Plus the difficultly of actually finding the GTR fenders.

For these reasons, and how you want a nice looking car etc.. an auto Supra would be best for you. At least they are nice and wide and you can get some nice offset rims on. Auto normal skyline = fail.

PS if I had $60000 lying around, I would buy that GTR. Did you get that pic from carsales?
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

im with you on the bodykit if that what you want to do, do it
it looks nice
it is essentially the same as putting evo parts on a lancer
but i see nothing wrong with that either
except if someone asks you what your car is and you say GTR then your a fag
i suppose its all about the reason your doing it, if your doing it purely for the looks of the car (which i believe you are) or if your doing to simply make people think your car is a GTR

dont listen everyone giving you sh*t because your just changing the exterior and not the engine. majority of people wont care about how big your engine is.

just also remember you will get pulled over a lot because it will make your vehicle look restricted
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

I'm actually completely over the looks of the Supra now, it just looks too old. And it's also 1993, which the engine is also too old for me to maintain, I expect to have this car for a good 3+ years.

I think most people here just don't like Skylines (as shown by the forum mod called it a "Skyline") so it was probably too biased to ask here...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

-Nighthawk- wrote:I'm actually completely over the looks of the Supra now, it just looks too old. And it's also 1993, which the engine is also too old for me to maintain, I expect to have this car for a good 3+ years.

I think most people here just don't like Skylines (as shown by the forum mod called it a "Big Ugly Soap Box Racer") so it was probably too biased to ask here...
Supra engines are one of the toughest around - they're not going to die in 3 years when being driven by a nanna who doesn't "take off assertively at the lights" everyone now & then :lol: And for 15,000 you would only get an N/A one - Stock FTO's PWN THEM! .. so not worth it..

IMO if you're on your P's & can't even drive turbo's or V8's yet, then keep your FTO for a few more years FFS.. CRAWL BEFORE YOU WALK ..

And if you want the looks of another car, save up a bit more & get a car that is actually an "upgrade" fro man FTO, cause $15k won't buy you anything much better..
.. if you're only changing one or two aspects of the car to a design that you like more, then go ahead & do it.. people are only going to think you're a tool if you go & change eveything about the car, while it's still bog standard mechanically.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

As I said, I will be driving in the city everyday for the next 3 years, the FTO is not sufficient for this, that blind spot makes it very annoying to look around.

The FTO engine is fast enough for me, and the Skyline should be similar, I really don't want cutting edge performance because if I did I would get a track car, or my next car the Evo.
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

mr-charisma wrote:IMO if you're on your P's & can't even drive turbo's or V8's yet, then keep your FTO for a few more years FFS.. CRAWL BEFORE YOU WALK ..

people are only going to think you're a tool if you go & change eveything about the car, while it's still bog standard mechanically.

not true
only people who have decent knowledge of cars will care

but i agree with waiting till your off your p's

opens your options a lot more
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Dont like small windows? Spend the 15k on a convertible conversion, no roof=easier to spot blindspots :twisted:
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

And for 15,000 you would only get an N/A one - Stock FTO's PWN THEM!
Wish this was true. I tested it against my mate and although I had him at low speed, he definitely had the advantage at high speeds.

Couldn't even compare on the twisties though :twisted:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

He's trying to tell you to buy the top of the line for that particular model car. Ie dont buy a GTS-T and slap a GTR badge on it, that's Douche territory. Buy the GTR.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

I'm not putting any badges on it :\
I'm simple borrowing a FEW parts from the exterior of a GTR to improve it visually, nothing more nothing less.

God some people are thickheaded...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

-Nighthawk- wrote:God some people are thickheaded...
Go easy champ..
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Bennoz wrote:
-Nighthawk- wrote:God some people are thickheaded...
Go easy champ..
What do you mean? Thickheaded isn't a swear word, it's just the state of mind that a lot of biased members on here are :\
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Import a convertible S15.
LED ALL the things.
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

i know what you mean nighthawk, hence why i never said anything about badges

in regards to the supra engine, the 2jzge and 2jzgte are known woldwide for being THE longest lasting high performance engine made by the japanese. the only things that destroy them is idiots upping the boost past its limits... thats with a turbo so in non turbo form it will last ages, no matter what you throw at it... read some reviews

what about a honda? the dc2r fits nicely in your price range with good enough power, blind spot is nowhere near that bad