Danny's And Jeff's 6A13 turbo Conversions

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by dannyboyau »

thats great to hear mate.

how much did the intercooler set u back
RichardB
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardB »

Bored of the twin now, time to joing the single turbo club

http://www.mitsubishi-fto.net/cgi-bin/a ... height=500
The World's fastest FTO - sub 9's checkout www.mitsubishi-fto.net to see the latest time.

Sponsored by : NR Autosport, RB Performance, PPG Gearboxes, IPG Parts, S1 Chiropractic
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

looking good mate

what size is your intercooler core ?

and have you lost the aircon ?

what have you done about the driveshafts ?
RichardB
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardB »

dannyboyau wrote:looking good mate

what size is your intercooler core ?

and have you lost the aircon ?

what have you done about the driveshafts ?
The aircon went a long time ago, howeve I have just removed the pump so I can get the pipework in. The driveshafts, one was found to have a default which caused it to break which resulted in the other letting go so Im still on standard ones at the moment, and carrying a spare set in the boot!
Intercooler.... massive... not sure to be honest I will measure it when I get chance.
The World's fastest FTO - sub 9's checkout www.mitsubishi-fto.net to see the latest time.

Sponsored by : NR Autosport, RB Performance, PPG Gearboxes, IPG Parts, S1 Chiropractic
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

Link to a video of my FTO in september/october 2005 http://videos.streetfire.net/video/B7CF ... 0B4004.htm
RichardB
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardB »

sounds like your getting bad traction problems.... but looks good. I posted a new PB the other day of 12.41 so youve got some catching up to do ;)

dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

mines back on the road again now and should be heading down the track in a few weeks, soon as get some good tyres, :)
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

only .8 of a second
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Hey Danny is there anyway to retain the sequential twin turbo setup of the 6A13TT in the FTO?

Is there any other way to run the intake pipe (closest to the firewall) below the other turbo so it doesn't hit the suspension mount?

Did you have any ideas or did you always want the single turbo setup?
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
Liquidity
Grease Monkey

Post by Liquidity »

I dont know about the 6a13tt specifically, but i'm under the impression most "factory" TT setups, can nowadays be outperformed by newer technology.

Ie, a single variable vane, ball bearing turbo, will spool earlier, hit boost more progressively, and if needed, harder, with less plumbing etc headaches.

I've also read (here no less) that you need either a new exhaust manifold, or a firewall mod, to fit the 6a13tt in its "bone stock" form...?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Its all depends how you tune it.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Liquidity wrote:I dont know about the 6a13tt specifically, but i'm under the impression most "factory" TT setups, can nowadays be outperformed by newer technology.

Ie, a single variable vane, ball bearing turbo, will spool earlier, hit boost more progressively, and if needed, harder, with less plumbing etc headaches.

I've also read (here no less) that you need either a new exhaust manifold, or a firewall mod, to fit the 6a13tt in its "bone stock" form...?
So you change the turbos if there's extra room and retain the sequential turbo setup so you get power on the low end and high end of the scale.
Liquidity
Grease Monkey

Post by Liquidity »

if you want low end power, supercharge it. Actually, come to think of it, a supercharger/turbo twin setup would probably be easier than a custom made twin-turbo setup (assuming you have to remake the manifolds to fit it in the engine bay).

But as i said, some "new tech" turbos will spool earlier, and harder, than factory twin sequential setups.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

I've got a supercharge RWD, but the power are mid to high (factory tune). So supercharge doesn't always mean good low end.

If you talking about titanium blade, twin scroll or the new 997 with variable turbine geometry, they cost an arms and legs and that if you can get your hands on one.

But i would have say Joel, you better off with single turbo then a twin, it take up less space and you can also mix and match the turbo to suit your need. With a smaller inlet housing and a larger exhaust housing (T28/40), it will give you a quick spoon up for low end and good mid to high end. Well provided all the other parts are matched.

Ohh and here's a link we did eariler that have supercharge with twin turbo setup, its not a FTO, but you can tell it aren't easy to do a setup like that.

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... 24&start=0
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Nah man I was never gonna do the twin setup........I was just curious to see if it could be done. I'm more interested in where the piping would go and it's diameter if it were to be done. :?
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

Nacho wrote:Hey Danny is there anyway to retain the sequential twin turbo setup of the 6A13TT in the FTO?
The 6A13 TT is a Parallel Twin-Turbo
Nacho wrote:Is there any other way to run the intake pipe (closest to the firewall) below the other turbo so it doesn't hit the suspension mount?
get custom made intake piping
Nacho wrote:Did you have any ideas or did you always want the single turbo setup?
big single turbo is less custom made piping then a twin turbo system so saves money and time
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

How does a parallel twin turbo work if you don't mind me asking? :oops:
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

Do you know how sequential turbos work ?

with out getting into a complicated explanation a parallel twin turbo is basicly two turbos working together each one is running off one cylinder bank then combiming the air after the turbos.
Last edited by dannyboyau on Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liquidity
Grease Monkey

Post by Liquidity »

Yes, you can run different sized turbos, one per bank. Basically, on the small turbo, it will spool earlier...then as it reaches its limit, hopefully you've chosen a larger turbo that starts spooling at that point, and the smaller one will open its wastegate so it doesnt get "overloaded".

another way is to run exhaust through the larger turbine first, and then through a smaller one.
Exhaust at low rpm doesnt spool the large turbine, but does spool the small one.

Once exhaust hits a certain flow (rpm) the big turbo will start spooling. At this point a wastegate in the small turbo usually opens, either to 'cut it out' or to maintain it at low psi.

Theres other more complicated systems, where you divert exhaust gases according to which turbine you want.
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

Liquidity wrote:Yes, you can run different sized turbos, one per bank. Basically, on the small turbo, it will spool earlier...then as it reaches its limit, hopefully you've chosen a larger turbo that starts spooling at that point, and the smaller one will open its wastegate so it doesnt get "overloaded".

another way is to run exhaust through the larger turbine first, and then through a smaller one.
Exhaust at low rpm doesnt spool the large turbine, but does spool the small one.

Once exhaust hits a certain flow (rpm) the big turbo will start spooling. At this point a wastegate in the small turbo usually opens, either to 'cut it out' or to maintain it at low psi.

Theres other more complicated systems, where you divert exhaust gases according to which turbine you want.
where did you get your information on how a sequential turbo system works ?