Seeking suggestion for turbo gpx

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by I8A4RE »

Yeah it definitly be benefical to talk to those guys.
but as for the oil starvation that could maybe depend on the oil pressure. Honda's have a high oil pressure rate standard and when the oil feed lines get connected they actually use a restrictor on the line to get the pressure down, thus getting good oil flow.
I have never heard of any turbo FTO having oil starvation problems. The biggest problem i have read about is heat but if you do all the things to minimise that ie oil coolers, intercooloers, heat sheilds, and even a turbo heat bag, you will have no heat problems except maybe on a 40 degree day.
able to keep standard compression if you get tougher internals.. but IMO its not worth taking the chance (might as well put on a de-comp gasket..
Even with a de-compression gasket the comp in an FTO is still pretty high..)
IMO you dont need a decompression gasket if our only going to running low boost. Sure if you want to be running 8psi and above then you are starting to press the friendship and things could and most probably will go wrong. So its really about what you want to achieve and plan for that.
Maybe its just me.. but I find it hard to believe that there aren't more possible engine conversions than the few that have gotten regular mention.. maybe someone just needs to be a bit more creative .. I dunnno..
What, are you talking FTO's????, cause there are just as many as any other car, its just all about the $$$. There's guys here, on the coast who will do a rotary coversion for ya but its going to be upwards of 30k.

Also you could put the 1.8 GS engine and have next to none of the problems you will have with the V6.

But at the end of the day, IMO the best power for money is to do the 6A13 conversion. You can pick up the engine for 1K, its a straight fit. Just need to modify the turbo setup and your pretty much good to go.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

A 6a13 engine can be found for only a grand??? 8O I'm now intruiged. sh*tty thing with those engines are the availability of forged internals and aftermarket products. For eg. tomei don't make forged parts but carry an entire catalogue of 4g63 parts. So this engine drops straight in and the engine mounts line up perfectly???

As far as the honda's are concerned, there are the occaisional blown up engine which has always been the result of poor tuning and greedy ppl wanting over 12psi on engines done over 150,000kms. A good tune is beneficial so the majority of people (in brisbane that is) actually get tuners from down south to do their cars.

My friends car was a civic with a d16 VTEC YO!!!!! with 10:1 compression ratio. Another was a b18c vtir integra that also had the 10:1 ratio. I've seen heaps of b16a's as well turbo'd which are 10.2:1. And then there's the type r motor's b18c7 and k20a's which are both around the 11.1:1. If anyone's seen POV crew's cars then you'll know what i'm talking about. 290fwkw eg civic with b18c7 with forged internals. Not too usable but still a dyno king.

Before I bought my fto i looked into getting a later model integra vtir. I sussed out what turboing would involve and found that they can handle 10psi on standard internals no problem. I saw my burgundy fto at a friends import place and fell in love with it and haven't looked back since. Right now I'm bringing it down to three things making a turbo job difficult;
the 'v' configuration affecting turbo+mivec

the tuners in aus know dickall about mivec and turbo tuning

and lastly that maybe the internals in the 6a12 aren't as strong as the honda motor's
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

the tuners in aus know dickall about mivec and turbo tuning
Agreed, its imperative to find the right one and its hard casue theres 3 types out there
1) Oh nah thats crap you cant do it (they have no idea so just want to turn you away from the whole project)
2) Oh yeah no worries mate, too easy. 10k later oh yeah we are still working on it.
3) Yeah mate we can do it.
A 6a13 engine can be found for only a grand
I found one......ssshshhhhhshs

No the internals may not be as strong but that just means you need to be happy at 7 psi not 10 with standards.

But if your wanting to go the whole hog, i would definitly go with engine conversion.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Hope your tuner for your project is one of the few good ones out there!

I'm catching up with a mate who's a mechanic and has his own workshop. Gonna see what he can do for me in terms of keeping costs down for an engine conversion. While there's a shitload of info on the 6a13 conversion, there's none on a 4g63, other than the engine having to be from an evo4 or later. Any forum members with this under their hoods???
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

No one has done it in this country that i am aware of. I think there maybe someone in the UK who has but i dont think he is a member from here.
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Hm......oppurtunity to be an aus first.....

The guy i bought the angel eyes from was wanting to do it as well...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

IMO you dont need a decompression gasket if our only going to running low boost. Sure if you want to be running 8psi and above then you are starting to press the friendship and things could and most probably will go wrong. So its really about what you want to achieve and plan for that.
Nobody's putting a gun to anyones head ;) But for $180 odd its not going to break the bank + its piece of mind is all i'm saying..
What, are you talking FTO's????, cause there are just as many as any other car, its just all about the $$$. There's guys here, on the coast who will do a rotary coversion for ya but its going to be upwards of 30k.
Won't catch me spending $30k on a rotary / RWD conversion .. as awesome as that would be.. at least not in the near future ;) :P .. I'm sure there are plenty of engines that would fit, or could with custom mounts, but the only ones anyone ever talks about are the Galant / Evo engines ..
But at the end of the day, IMO the best power for money is to do the 6A13 conversion. You can pick up the engine for 1K, its a straight fit. Just need to modify the turbo setup and your pretty much good to go.
Wish it were that easy.. or as cheap as you're suggesting.. but everyone who has tried the 6A13 conversion hasn't gotten change from $30k.. If you could do all the work yourself you could probably get away with it cheaper, but I'm not even sure anyone on here has the capability..
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Would love to see the 3L mivec from the diamonte under the hood! 200kw's from 3ltrs is on par with what honda made with there nsx!!
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

I said wrote:IMO you dont need a decompression gasket if our only going to running low boost. Sure if you want to be running 8psi and above then you are starting to press the friendship and things could and most probably will go wrong. So its really about what you want to achieve and plan for that.
mr c wrote:Nobody's putting a gun to anyones head ;) But for $180 odd its not going to break the bank + its piece of mind is all i'm saying..
Mate if you think you can install a decompression gasket for $180 your f^&ken dreaming. In order to install the gasket you need to strip down top of engine. In which case you might as well do forgies and the rest. When installing decom gasket they recommend you get a new head stud kit aswell. So even without labour your @ an absolute minimum of $500.
I said wrote:What, are you talking FTO's????, cause there are just as many as any other car, its just all about the $$$. There's guys here, on the coast who will do a rotary coversion for ya but its going to be upwards of 30k.
mr C wrote:Won't catch me spending $30k on a rotary / RWD conversion .. as awesome as that would be.. at least not in the near future ;) :P .. I'm sure there are plenty of engines that would fit, or could with custom mounts, but the only ones anyone ever talks about are the Galant / Evo engines ..
Because they are straight fits or close. The reason no one else talks of anything else is just because fto just aint that popular compared to a lot of other cars
I said wrote:But at the end of the day, IMO the best power for money is to do the 6A13 conversion. You can pick up the engine for 1K, its a straight fit. Just need to modify the turbo setup and your pretty much good to go.
mr c wrote:Wish it were that easy.. or as cheap as you're suggesting.. but everyone who has tried the 6A13 conversion hasn't gotten change from $30k.. If you could do all the work yourself you could probably get away with it cheaper, but I'm not even sure anyone on here has the capability..
IIt is and can be that easy, im not suggesting im telling. You dont know what your talking about, You cant count dannyboy cause he was just going for mad HP, Jeff, yes but if you have spoken to him or even read some of the turbo thread you may then start to understand why his ended up costing so much. Then theres FTOevolution under 10k and mivec24 (i think thats his name) again way under 10k.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

same advice we give to everyone else:

1. you will not last on 5psi for more than 6 months - you will go for more
2. the engine isnt the only bit that breaks...get ready for upgrades for everything else
3. dont smash it! no engineering certif. and the insurance company may reject your claim.

apart from those points its all good fun...just dont try ths lets do it on a budget sh*t, you either do it - or you dont.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I didn't think about the labour costs :oops:
but surely anyone who knows enough about the car to do the turbo thing themselves would know how to (and want to) install the de-comp gasket themselves .. Hell, I'd want to get my hands on a spare (busted) engine to strip down & rebuild if I were doing a lot of work on it myself .. the amount you learn just from that is insane ..

I know all about Jeff's drama's ..of course if he didn't get fkd around so much it would've probably cost less, but he has said that you'd still be looking at spending near on what he spent anyway to do it right..
You forgot to mention Adams conversion .. & I'm sure he's prob spent even more than Sam has..

As KJ said, even if you get away with it for under 10k, boost is addictive - you're going to want more .. & when you do, you either have to go for engine swap, forgies or a diff car..
IMO - Better off to go the whole hog from the start - save yourself the double or triple tuning & other labour costs & iron out the bugs from the get go ...

I have another question for you Simon but I'll ask it in your turbo thread ;)
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

As KJ said, even if you get away with it for under 10k, boost is addictive - you're going to want more .. & when you do, you either have to go for engine swap, forgies or a diff car..
IMO - Better off to go the whole hog from the start - save yourself the double or triple tuning & other labour costs & iron out the bugs from the get go ...
maybe boost is addictive, but as i have said in the past, if i wanted a moonster i would sell mine buy jeffs and spend the dollars to look like mine, however i dont, i have made a plan of what i am going to be doing to doing to my car and in X amount of years it will be AWD. BUt that is a long way done the track. Yes i may be doing it the most expensive way ie multiple tunes etc but it is way of doing it without having 50k lying around.

I had not forgot about adams car i just have not spoken to him personally but i have heard through other people around what he spent.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

He actually came into my work during the week to say hi...

Was actually driving his FTO!!! couldnt believe it...

But yeah, he hit around the $27k mark... and didnt do the custom Intake or fuel system or radiator like jeff... a lot less power (around 270kw) and standard internals...

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I8A4RE wrote:maybe boost is addictive, but as i have said in the past, if i wanted a moonster i would sell mine buy jeffs and spend the dollars to look like mine, however i dont, i have made a plan of what i am going to be doing to doing to my car and in X amount of years it will be AWD. BUt that is a long way done the track. Yes i may be doing it the most expensive way ie multiple tunes etc but it is way of doing it without having 50k lying around.
that wasn't aimed in your direction mate ;) Already know your goals & such .. besides.. I'm sure if you got down the track & decided you wanted more power then I'm sure you wouldn't let the tuning costs distract you from it ..

Should we take your mentioning of finding a 6a13 engine cheap, to mean that you're planning a conversion in the future?

anyways, my rant was meant more as a point of warning for anyone looking to do the turbo thing :)
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

I8A4RE wrote: maybe boost is addictive, but as i have said in the past, if i wanted a moonster i would sell mine buy jeffs and spend the dollars to look like mine, however i dont, i have made a plan of what i am going to be doing to doing to my car and in X amount of years it will be AWD. BUt that is a long way done the track. Yes i may be doing it the most expensive way ie multiple tunes etc but it is way of doing it without having 50k lying around.

I had not forgot about adams car i just have not spoken to him personally but i have heard through other people around what he spent.
Geez, looks like you really are after a ferrari eater. I'll be taking my project a similar route to yours i.e planning everything out and getting everything i want done in x amount of years. Ah, the things we do for the love of our cars :drunken:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

@ KJ, i want to get it certified once its done, sam got his certified so i dont see why i shouldnt beable to get mine done.

@ mr c, yeah defintitly will do conversion down the track, esecially if i blow this engine up lol

@ yano, welll i gotta spend my money on something lol.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I8A4RE wrote:@ KJ, i want to get it certified once its done, sam got his certified so i dont see why i shouldnt beable to get mine done.
For the intrest of the site I would like to hear more about how his an others have meet both the ADRs and EPA guidelines in each state - however the are all pretty similar.

Given with the EPA alone you cannot offically do much to an existing turbo car, i'm intrested to understand how a tubro conversion will meet EPA gudelines...short answer is it wont. Then you have the added complexity of the eng certif. whcih is probably achievable...

Persoanlly I dont care and would do it too, but lets be accurate with our information.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

I merely have mine mod plated... both engine conversion to non-mivec and for a turbo fitment..

Will be getting another plate soon for brake upgrade.

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

whats the difference between mod plated and engineers cert?

Ok im confused, so to make it legal what needs to be done?
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Well all i know is that when cops look under my bonnet i show them the plate and they leave me alone. thats all i care about.

Dont know if it would Pass a DOT station or not, but you'd have to do some more research on it.

Just trying to get a plate for my bonnet... hehehe... i figure if i get 20 mod platers to look at it at least one of them will do it... lol