turbo conversion

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jr
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

turbo conversion

Post by jr »

i am thinking to do my GR into turbo i just want to konw where in sydeny i can get the kit and get them install and cost

thanks
Jeff
Grease Monkey

Post by Jeff »

Sorry, but there is no kit available.
Look at anywhere between 20 - 30K for a custom job.
Although I did spot in the parts for sale someone selling a GT28 with exhaust manifolds, with this you could get it a lot cheaper.
Jeff
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i done wanna sound discouraging but unless you are prepared to spend at least $15K for a really decent & well thought-out system, you can forget about turbocharging your FTO properly... the parts alone will cost you close to $8k (incl fittings) if not more, and the labour & tuning alone prob an extra $5K+

take this advice from someone who has been there and done that!
jr
Apprentice

Post by jr »

one of my friends did it
with a fto did it at somewhere silverwater 10k all up and it twin turbo to the car so fast he need to take it to the dyno c what he is gettiing out we dont drive our car that offen.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

in James' immortal words, "You pay peanuts, you get monkeys"

hope it's a well-designed setup dude... we have seen quite a few 'cheap' turbocharged FTOs that done last very long....
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

GPXXX wrote:in James' immortal words, "You pay peanuts, you get monkeys"
I never said thatImage
LED ALL the things.
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

but i did
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

hehehe supplanter, you're not the only 'James' around here hehehe... :P
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

just to get my head around this.....

I know we have jeff, danny, mikey all putting in big $$ for their turbo conversions.... however is this a lot to do the fact that they are also chasing BIG power gains and running high boost etc?

How would their developments vary from someone like wild ride's FTO (HKS FTO, car formly known as scracys :)...from my understanding this was running at only a moderate boost and was a more simplified set up... however it seems to be reliable and from everything ive heard it goes pretty well....

ny comments would be good to clarify things for me (and possibly others).
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well mikey wasn't chasing huge power before, & he already spend at least 10k, but like I said in the other post, his setup is reliable & well design compare some of the cheaper setup i've seen for the FTO.

Theres no point cutting cost at the start & end up spending a lot more in the end just to fix up here & there, or worst start all over again.

Scracy's turbo setup wasn't cheap either, I remember he said he spend a fair bit of money on rebuilding his setup, and you don't know how much the original person had spend when it was done in Japan either, but from the design i doubt it would be less then 10k
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

Just out of curiousty, would it be cheaper to get custom turbo setup for the FTO or sell the engine and put a EVO 4 engine plus high flow its turbo?
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

not sure mil - im sure kev and mikey know,

from memory wasnt there a problem with either the evo 4 engine fitting or something being on the wrong side of the engine? so it could be done but was going to be $$$$$ (more so then a custom turbo).
im sure there is something in another post - just cant look for it now.
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

from memory the EVO 4 engine is the only one of the EVO engines that fit correctly (i could be wrong). I dont see it costing more if u buy neccesary part from the EVO.
afterburner
Mechanic

Post by afterburner »

Theoretically any of the late model Evo engines (from Evo 4 onwards) should work, but there will almost certainly be some fiddling required with engine mounts, halfshafts, etc.

You could also use the 4G93 1800 turbo motor which comes out of the Lancer GSR turbo - this motor is not as strong as the 4G63, but would be quite a bit cheaper. And since an N/A version comes in the FTO GS, it may be easier to fit...
[url=http://www.atom.net.nz/afterburner/fto/index.htm][img]http://www.atom.net.nz/afterburner/ftologos.jpg[/img][/url]

It's gone :( - now carless...
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

The CC GSR 4G93T wont fit into an FTO

I think evo engine is the way to go

Although I don't see why turbo'ing an FTO would cost so much? I think for 9K you can have a good system on it which includes clutch, exhaust etc etc
afterburner
Mechanic

Post by afterburner »

spetz wrote:The CC GSR 4G93T wont fit into an FTO
Why not? I'm talking about the one fitted to the 96 onwards GSR (CM5A). It fits in the GS, and surely the turbo plumbing doesn't add that much room...
[url=http://www.atom.net.nz/afterburner/fto/index.htm][img]http://www.atom.net.nz/afterburner/ftologos.jpg[/img][/url]

It's gone :( - now carless...
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

if you have a GR you might as well look at putting in a 6a12tt out of a galant ;) if your really lucky it'll drop straight in and there's bugger all to do (half cuts are worth about 3200ish) ...

not sure which way the gearbox mounts...
Black_FTOGPX
Mechanic

Post by Black_FTOGPX »

The mounts are around the wrong way on the 6A12tt.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

I thought you were talking about 96 backwards.
In that case it will fit but I would still opt for an evo engine

6A12TT wont fit, but 6A13TT will :)
Slither
Mechanic

Post by Slither »

I didn't think the 6A13TT would fit without major changes to the firewall??