fto boost limits

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bigpitty1
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

fto boost limits

Post by bigpitty1 »

turboing an fto I have heard is difficult but can be done and I have seen a few, supercharging I haven't seen yet, I want to how much all of you recon how much boost a fto can handle, I have seen Integra Type R DC5 with a jackson racing supercharger running at 9 psi and I hear that the Integra engine can handle about 10 psi with stock internals with a compression ratio at 11:1, isn't the FTO's compression ratio about a 10:1 so it should be able to handle 10psi without too much trouble.
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

From what I know all recent attempts at supercharging have resulted in a broken engine :(
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I blew up a 6A12 block up 2 weeks ago on an engine dyno with 9psi running out of a sprintex blower. The more poundage (whether by turbo or supercharger) you put in - the LOWER you want your compression ratio.

I've now had decompression plates made to compensate & looks like forged internals are going to have to happen.
Slither
Mechanic

Post by Slither »

If your looking at running stock internals i wouldn't go any higher than 7psi. Your looking at detonation problems after that and on hot days you'd probably be advised to run lower than that other wise you'll get pinging probs.

As for supercharging, you're probably looking at the same sort of costs as turbo charging. Main plus about supercharging is you should have much better throttle response but as yet no-one has been very successful at doing it! :roll:
Last edited by Slither on Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

So your fto is supercharged, I haven't seen it been done, do you think you could take a photo of it, does it fit in the engine bay of the fto with much trouble, before it blew up were you able to see how much power it made.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

The motor is not in the car, its a side project engine. If I can get it going reliably I'll put it in. Im not giving away any figures just yet either :wink:
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Instead of spending so much money on boosting the MIVEC engine, why not get the 2.5L conversion engine from RPW?

That thing would probably make more reliable power than a boosted MIVEC engine on stock internals

And quick NA's are impressive :)
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

i think that if yr looking for good reliable power then go with an engine conversion. Theres too much headache with turbo'ing the MIVEC. Even if u do , the performance gains arent substaintial to justify the costs. :roll:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

The motor Im working on is non-mivec... surprisingly easy to work with.
Im not looking to make monster, just something with 'balls.'
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

Yeah superfcharging a GR would be tops :) Much better throttle response down low, i'm not after insane power, just power :P
Jase
Grease Monkey

Post by Jase »

I'm with you Bennoz. Super charging a gr would be spot on. Instant response and i'd be quiet happy with 200kw. Be great for those nice mountain runs. As long as i could shake up a 255kw commodore i'd be happy.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Thats the plan :wink:

And if im feeling nice I'll blueprint the process & share with you kids...
It'd should be a nice little 3-4K kit at the end of the day.
mrx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by mrx »

Bennoz, sounds good....

Now all we need is to move the engine to the back and power the rear wheels....
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

mrx wrote:Bennoz, sounds good....

Now all we need is to move the engine to the back and power the rear wheels....
LOL :lol:

Bugger moving it, let just put a second one in :P
Rich UK
Grease Monkey

Post by Rich UK »

if we're playing that game go VR4 4x4. As for turbo vs. Supercharged my guess is the 2l wont take the SC power and the turbos dont fit too well, go NOS for traffic lights and remember how much all that extra petrol will cost!
I too, am slightly Australian. <br>"You flamming galah!" <br>
Is it Necrophilia if she's still twitchin' ?
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

so what do you guys think it's the best engine conversion? how's evo engine and which series?
Jase
Grease Monkey

Post by Jase »

NO2 would be great on the strip but not so great coming out of a tight right hand hairpin and facing numerous more on a sunday drive. Keep us up to date Bennoz.
Jase
Grease Monkey

Post by Jase »

As for engine conversion i'd go the evo. I think at the end of the day it's still going to be a rather large and expensive exercise.
Slither
Mechanic

Post by Slither »

The EVO 4 version of the 4g63 is well suited to the FTO.

Stock wise the engine puts out 276hp@6500rpm while producing 260lb/ft tourque @ 3000rpm running a compression ratio of 8:8:1

Cost wise though you're looking at similar to the 6A12 turbo setup, around the $10K-15K mark.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

I think it would be a lot cheaper than that.

The mechanic who did my conversion (6A12 MIVEC into lancer) had an evo V engine sitting there as well, it was my choice which one I wanted (I chose the MIVEC obviously).
Cost wise it was $8000 for both, but with the evo engine I had to supply an intercooler and pay for the piping. Otherwise no difference. So roughly 9K for the conversion, plus I am sure he would give a couple of grand for the old V6 MIVEC engine from an FTO to put an evo engine in.

This was with FTO seats, climate control, evo brakes, new clutch etc etc. If you look hard... you will find a good mechanic at a good price