Age or mileage?

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bjk
Totes
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Age or mileage?

Post by bjk »

As much as it depends on how well the car is looked after, which is more important if it's a choice between the two? A newer car with more k's, or an older one with less?

Looking at a 1991 with 107,000; or a 1997 with 207,000.
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Taz
Oldtimer

Re: Age or mileage?

Post by Taz »

It all comes down to what the km's were used on. A city driver which is stopped and started/turned on and off all the time will be a bit worse off than a pure highway driver. also how often the car is driven, daily is better than weekend.
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Depends on the actual car itself, it could have low K's and have been abused mechanically and never serviced or washed. Could have high K's and been looked after it's whole life.
What sort of cars are we talking about anyway?
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Chiinkstarrh
Mechanic

Post by Chiinkstarrh »

i prefer less k's imo

FTO 95 GPX .................................................................................. 2000 MR2 Spyder
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

It looks fairly mint, but I'm not sure if it would be a weekender. Probably just being in the city is why it's so low. It's an MX6, by the way.
Chiinkstarrh wrote:i prefer less k's imo
That's what I'm leaning towards I think. I mean, despite when it was made, usage is usage I guess.
Image Image Image Image
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Is there much difference in the technology with the 2 cars?
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

PHIL069 wrote:Is there much difference in the technology with the 2 cars?
Not that I know of, they're both the same model as far as I can tell.

This http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotiv ... 1402051019

And http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... rt=default
Image Image Image Image
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

imo go with the white one, when anyone starts talking about sweet exhaust notes, and going hard etc etc it USUALLY means that theyve abused the car, limiter bashed it etc, but just go inspect both and see how you go
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

gonna check it out tomorrow methinks. Other good indicator (at least I think), it that it still has stock wheels. So hopefully it was just some middle-aged person who bought it new when it came out.

I'm wondering if how much I could haggle the price though. It's fairly reasonable as is, and I couldn't find much (barring Kia, Hyundai, Proton, Holden Barina) in the post 1990's, under 150,000kms, under $5000. An '01 Lancer was there, but it's not quite the same car.
Image Image Image Image
phi-tec
Veteran Mechanic

Age or mileage?

Post by phi-tec »

White one for sure.

And as for the question. As per mentions. Goes down to the car itself, iv seen low mileage in grubby/sh*t looking condition engine wise too
You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be quoted and used against you
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

+1 for the white one
Thats just looking at the pics though, I have looked at many pics of cars for sale and when I turned up for a look they were nothing like the one in the pic. Old photos, photoshopped etc..
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Mm, had a look at a car recently that wasn't in as good condition as I had hoped. But it was reaaally old and dirt cheap, so I wasn't too surprised to find a few loose panels and rust spots. Passed that one up though.

Hoping this one doesn't sell before I get to look at it! also happened recently. think the ad is still up though. :|