So why is it?

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

dstocks
National Vice President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

So why is it?

Post by dstocks »

So, ive spent the last few nights reading threads on FTO's on other car forums (bit of curiosity and a bit or boredom). There seems to be a more balanced opinion in the UK than here in Australia, but even there you tend to get a lot of polarised opinions. Now, there are lots of cars I havent driven and I while quite a few dont appeal to me for various reasons, id be very hesitant to call them a piece of shite without any direct experience. And even with some knowledge, I tend to prefix with IMO.

This has got me thinking. What sort of person makes these kinds of statements without any information to back it up? Do they feel threatened in some way? What is it that makes a person feel the need to make these kinds of statements without having a clue?.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    destinationtoby
    Broke it

Re: So why is it?

Post by destinationtoby »

Followers
    Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
    except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
    FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
    Daniel2019
    Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

General negative disposition towards a brand, or they're just going off what they've heard from others I suppose.

Also there's the fact that many cars are made to be disposable after 5 years or so, e.g. Citroens
    I fix cars.
    Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
    bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
    Daniel2019
    Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Also brand loyalty.. just look at all of Apple's fanatical users, even though it's pure gimmick factor and the fact that you pay for such a minute update (such as the new chargers, no benefit but just have to buy all new cables, chargers and connections). I learnt all about this from my old boss. Unconditional brand loyalty to one brand just creates a general dislike towards any others.
    I fix cars.
    Technikhaus
    Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

I have found that here in NZ, a lot of people don't like them, but have no reason so.
    Quite often the only thing they say is, "oh it's FWD", or "It's a girls car".

yet for some reason they like Civics, and Preludes etc....
    Man '96 FTO GPX
    Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
    Man '90 MR2 GT
    Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

General negative disposition towards a brand, or they're just going off what they've heard from others I suppose.
    Would have thought if it was general, the comment would be more like cant stand Brand X (dont get me wrong, see a few of these too). I think its something else. Inadequacy maybe, I dont know.
    Also there's the fact that many cars are made to be disposable after 5 years or so, e.g. Citroens
    I guess. How many 92 model excels do you see these days? There used to be so many.
    Quite often the only thing they say is, "oh it's FWD", or "It's a girls car".
    I guess the FWD factor is a big one. There is certainly a negative connotation associated with FWD. You need to change driving styles to master FWD. I guess if you come straight from a RWD, you may well feel it was less as most wouldnt question their driving ability.

Never understood the girls car thing. What criteria is that assessed on exactly. Its quite laughable if you think about it. Any attempt to come up with criteria to support that statement will make you look like an idiot.
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      Daniel2019
      Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Close-minded attitude. I'm a bit like that with some things. Admittedly not a good attitude to have, but meh!
      I fix cars.
      bjk
      Totes

Post by bjk »

I recall on the Stanceworks site in the build thread for that guy with the silver prefacelift in Russia, they were quite in favour of it. Likeness to old Jags etc. A lot of the US guys were disappointed they never came there. I guess it all depends where you're looking.
      POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
      Image Image Image Image
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

I read quite a balanced opinions too (although less in Aus). Thats not what im getting at. Its more the reason why someone when asked some advice just say, "theyre sh*t" or "theyre a girls car". Its the sort of answer you get from a 12 yr old.

Mind you, there are some interesting people that ask for advice too. I mean, what sort of answer do you think youll get jumping on a Nissan forum and asking "Should I buy X or should I buy a Nissan"
        bjk
        Totes

Post by bjk »

Having reread your first post, I get where you're coming from haha. I guess it's sort of what Daniel already mentioned. Preconceived ideas, group-think, etc. There is certainly a difference between jest and misinformation.
        POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
        Image Image Image Image
        destinationtoby
        Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

I hear this all the time " most ftos are overdone/riced out too much by people with bad taste, but yours looks tidy" so I guess a there's a heap giving the FTO a bad name/look. And there's not exactly a lot of ftos around compared to Silvia's,skylines &commys etc. but yeah there's still a lot of sheep following other sheep onto the FWD is *~delightful!~* bandwagon
        Attachments
        image.jpg
        image.jpg (56.52 KiB) Viewed 394 times
        image.jpg
        image.jpg (119.2 KiB) Viewed 394 times
        image.jpg
        image.jpg (47.86 KiB) Viewed 394 times
        image.jpg
        image.jpg (121.26 KiB) Viewed 394 times
        image.jpg
        image.jpg (88.1 KiB) Viewed 394 times
        image.jpg
        image.jpg (38.52 KiB) Viewed 394 times
        image.jpg
        image.jpg (96.88 KiB) Viewed 394 times
        Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
        except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
        FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
        Daniel2019
        Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

I understand that FWD doesn't appeal to most, and actually I tend to agree. I will be moving on to a boosted, RWD car when I get my full license. Although I have not experienced owning one before so that one comes down to wanting to explore options and try new things. I love FTOs having owned 4, but I think if they were RWD they would have been more popular.
        I fix cars.
        Shhtuart
        Forum Moderator

Post by Shhtuart »

I put it all down to the fact it's a non-turbo FWD. Anyone who's actually driven one says they're great handling cars with a decent engine. If you put it in the V6 FWD category it's one of the best.
        Technikhaus
        Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Daniel2019 wrote:I understand that FWD doesn't appeal to most, and actually I tend to agree. I will be moving on to a boosted, RWD car when I get my full license. Although I have not experienced owning one before so that one comes down to wanting to explore options and try new things. I love FTOs having owned 4, but I think if they were RWD they would have been more popular.
        Here's a quick warning, if you're wanting to jump straight into a turbo RWD, and never properly driven one, be very careful.

This is my mate's Non turbo, auto S14. This happened two days ago, he tried to flick it out at an intersection, hit some gravel, and under-steered into a post, at about 30KM/h
        2013-12-31 15.22.01.jpg
        2013-12-31 17.59.44.jpg
        2013-12-31 19.57.44.jpg
        Man '96 FTO GPX
        Man '90 MR2 GT
        Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
        Daniel2019
        Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

There's a first for everything mate, gotta start somewhere.. Also drifting on the street doesn't appeal to me, I like my license and don't fancy sliding into a tree much. Those of you who have been on club cruises with me will know that im a sensible and good boy when it comes to driving :lol:
        I fix cars.
        c3rbera
        Mechanic

Post by c3rbera »

I haven't driven rwd so maybe its preconceived but exactly that is why I don't rate people bagging fwd over it. A young friend of mine has nothing else in mind. Wants an ae86 because you 'have to get the back end out'. But in all practicality, where? On your way to the shops? Through the hills into a pole maybe?
        In experienced hands sure, but otherwise a small part of me thinks death trap. Prices of boosted Nissans are well within kid's budgets these days..
        silverGPX wrote:Nice supra
        Manual '95 GPX
        -Nighthawk-
        Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Yeah it doesn't make much sense why people are so adamant with RWD over FWD when they will never see a racetrack. Most people who bag the FTO are ones that have never driven one before (the amount of times I've heard someone say "Oh I drove a friends FTO once" amazes me).
        Technikhaus
        Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

-Nighthawk- wrote:Yeah it doesn't make much sense why people are so adamant with RWD over FWD when they will never see a racetrack. Most people who bag the FTO are ones that have never driven one before (the amount of times I've heard someone say "Oh I drove a friends FTO once" amazes me).
        My friend above who crashed, he had a mate come around to look at it, and asked what I drove, and I showed him my FTO. He did the whole "girls car, FWD" thing.
        My mate who recently drove my FTO went to him and said it's a great car, and much faster than his S14. :lol:
        Man '96 FTO GPX
        Man '90 MR2 GT
        Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
        c3rbera
        Mechanic

Post by c3rbera »

Pretty ironic isn't it..ahaha.
        silverGPX wrote:Nice supra
        Manual '95 GPX
        dstocks
        National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

My friend above who crashed, he had a mate come around to look at it, and asked what I drove, and I showed him my FTO. He did the whole "girls car, FWD" thing.
        My mate who recently drove my FTO went to him and said it's a great car, and much faster than his S14. :lol:
        This is what im talking about. What makes a person express such a strong opinion about something they know nothing about. Its such a stupid thing to do. They just end up looking like a dick when they get cut down to size. Is there any thought process going on behind that attitude. Maybe not I guess.