Lambo door Conversion....YOU WANT IT? Now $950 for 10 buyers

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

martyjer
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by martyjer »

Man thats one mod I would so love on my FTO, lambos! Look absolutely stunning!
When I looked into it though there is no kit for FTOs, the closest that was there is a modified Evo hinge, is this what this set is? I was told theres a lot of cutting to make them fit, including a bit of work to arches for the hinge to fit properly.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

mate these kits are made for ftos and bolt straight on mate only a little bit of welding and a little cut and all done.
umm
Grease Monkey

Post by umm »

Yeah i make these from scratch to fit the FTO. they are not a modified kit for another car. i have been perfecting them on my own car for over a year now and they can't get any better :lol:

They bolt straight onto the origional bolt holes. only a small part of the inner fender has to be bent in but is not noticable. and the car can be returned to normal at anytime.

The welding nvr2low is talking about is optional.
Although I do strongly recommend that you do get it welded.

Option 1-No modification
You can choose to mount the hinge to the 4 original bolt holes if you do not wish to modify the door. This set up will be a bit wobbly and you may damage the door. Although this is how most kits are mounted and they have no problems but do look silly when the door is wobbling in the wind.

Option 2-No welding but some drilling
The hinge has 4 extra holes to mount onto the door. (8 in total counting the 4 original ones)
The kit will come with this plate with 4 threaded holes.

This plate is to be put inside the door to allow you to put in all 8 bolts in the door for a lot more stable fixing.

To install it you need to drill out the spot welds on the original plate to remove it and drill the extra bolt holes.

Then you can hold the plate in place the with glue or something similar. It does not have to be too strong because bolts will hold the plate when the hinge is mounted.

Option 3-The Best, welding required.
The same as option 2 but weld the plates in place where the original spot-welds used to be. This makes it look like the original door but with 4 extra bolt holes.

I strongly suggest you go with option 3 as it is the most stable by far. After this modification the original hinges can still be mounted as the holes are still in the same place. So you can return it to normal if you ever need to.

All this will be explained in more detail in the instruction manual.
Female Turner On-erer
aftershock
Apprentice

Post by aftershock »

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/9218/badgesdk4.jpg
vipfto wrote:
I8A4RE wrote:I perfer those other repeaters you did a while back jerome. The ones where the "F" was in chrome, they looked unreal
yeah wasnt aftershock fabricating some that looked awesome with the F in chrome?
Yes,i did,they are badges to replace the indicators.Saves welding up the holes.I can make more if people want to go that route and get rid of the indicators.Can put any image on them too.

FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

Is that road legal? Don't think it is here...
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
aftershock
Apprentice

Post by aftershock »

not sure,i was planning on getting long thin indicators and moving them low on the front bumper.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

definitely not legal here unless you get new indicators put in.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

If you mount new replacement side repeaters elswwhere, *built into mirrors* etc, then you will be 'left alone'.
But you do need to have side repeaters for pedestrian and pull out view.
martyjer
Apprentice

Post by martyjer »

Nice kit umm, in fairness looks like a lot of work gone into it, credit to you for doing it!
How much time do you reckon an FTO would be off the road while the kit is being fitted, say for a novice who wouldnt have done this before, how many hours work do you reckon is in it. And the very minor adjusting that has to be done, is it straight forward knowing what needs to be done or is it pure trial and error after fitment of the kit? Is there any risk at all of the doors not coming down in the perfect alignment or is the tolerance extremely small?
One more thing, do you ship to NZ?
Sorry for all the q's but its a kit I'd seriously consider buying once I hit the shores in NZ and I was worried that the only one I'd be able to find involved serious amounts of hacking and butchery! This kit looks to change all that.
umm
Grease Monkey

Post by umm »

It could easily be done in a weekend and you could even do one side and do the other another time. After i had the hinge design perfect I installed them in 4hrs including taking photos for the instructions and welding the plates in the door.

I will be selling them with full instructions on how to install them.
The instructions will tell you how to install them so they should be right the first time. For example.. the main mounting plate has slotted holes in it. It has been designed so if you bolt it on in the center of the slots it should be perfect, but as some cars may be different there is space to adjust them if needed.

I don't know if that made sense but yeah they are pretty fool proof. The amount they travel outwards and upwards is fixed to the right amount.

Yeah no problem sending them to NZ.

Keep the questions coming...i'm sure other people want to know the same stuff :)
Female Turner On-erer
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

umm wrote: but yeah they are pretty fool proof.
HAHA, Society can ALWAYS make a better fool!
;)

I'm still right up there for buying these, but far out, all the good stuff has come up for sale in the time my fiance has lost her job.
I'm hoping these will be round a bit longer for me to clear my debts and get back on track.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

I would love a set of the doors too but the price is still to high for me at this point :(
Eltnot
Mechanic

Post by Eltnot »

At $2800 I'm out, but if the price dropped down to around the $2200 mark due to a group buy then I'd certainly be interested. Particularly if it went off in a few more months (Around August when the tax man gives me back some money).
Eltnot
Mechanic

Post by Eltnot »

With this modification, will we need an engineer to approve it once it's done? I haven't found any information yet regarding the modifying of doors in QLD yet.
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

hey aftershock - any chance i can get a set of those chrome fto indicator replacements? Are these metal or plastic with chrome paint?
umm
Grease Monkey

Post by umm »

Eltnot wrote:With this modification, will we need an engineer to approve it once it's done? I haven't found any information yet regarding the modifying of doors in QLD yet.
I'm not sure about the legal side of things. i've heard that they are legal because when they are closed the doors are in the same place and the car shell is still the same but i would think they are illegal...pretty much everything is :roll:

The cops would have to see you with the doors up to know you have them. They don't usually make u get out of the car when they pull you over and you can open them enough to get out without lifting them up if you have to.

And you can always bolt on the original hinges if you need to because the modification is reversible ;)
Female Turner On-erer
Eltnot
Mechanic

Post by Eltnot »

Well I'm definitely keen to get a set once my other car sells. Would you send the sets overseas? Is it worth letting the UK guys know about this as well to increase the size of the group buy?

I'd need to make sure about the legality of it. The cops will definitely see them up at some stage and I want to be prepared for it.
deanwebber

Post by deanwebber »

keen for these. shipping to nz =] maybe two
umm
Grease Monkey

Post by umm »

Rough quote for shipping of 1 set to NZ $170 but i think i can get better than that. I'll get a better price on Monday.

I'll get a price to the uk while i'm there too. the exchange rate is pretty good for the poms right now.

So anyway how many people are interested. If there are a few i'll see what i can do about the price.
This is just a list to see how low i can get the price so your not committing to anything.
Female Turner On-erer
Eltnot
Mechanic

Post by Eltnot »

1. Eltnot